SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 C70 it's been losing coolant . Like the over flow reservoir is empty every single day. I replaced the tank had all hoses replaced in The coolant system no drips or puddles on the ground. I have large amount of steam coming from the mufflers and strong smell of coolant. Also getting codes for a misfire cylinder 3 and 4 along with super rough idle on start. Took the car to Volvo today convinced it's a blown head gasket. The said compression across the board is perfect and the pressure test revealed no leaks anywhere. My warranty is about to run out and it's a covered repair under my after market warranty. Any one have any other ideas or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
take it to another dealer. getting codes and losing coolant is not normal. definitely sounds like coolant is getting into the engine. definitely get it all taken care of under warranty

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
Definitely head gasket.

White smoke in the exhaust is coolant.

Based on that, the struggling at a cold start means there is pooled liquid sitting in the cylinders.
Just a wild guess, but if you start the car after it's already warmed up, I bet it fires up smoothly with no misfires.

Since we're specifically talking about cylinders 3 and 4, that tells me that the head gasket is split between those two cylinders.

Driving the car to the point that the coolant reservoir is nearly completely drained means that you have likely driven with no coolant in the engine itself, so expect the head to be warped. It does not take a significant increase in temperature for these heads to warp. But a machine shop can probably make it perfect again.

I would avoid driving the car until you fix it. If you do drive, pay very close attention to your temperature needle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your input after letting it sit over night the did get it to fail.. After they charged me Almost $200.00 insisting it was a spark plugs were the issue. An independent 3rd party inspector will be out Monday to confirm so hopefully the warranty will cover it.. have a great weekend everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts