SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TV commercials are now running for Pontiac's folding hardtop convert. Still haven't seena Volvo TV ad (not that they need one).

Am wondering what people's thoughts are?

The Volvo will cost 10K more than the G6, I think. Maybe more. Worth it?

What about the VW?

Is it possible for THIS thread to be without flames?

Hey, we already have this forum http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=46139
, so we can delete the one I just created

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Re: C70 or Pontiac G6 or VW or???? (adp)

I've seen many commercials about the C70 on TV.

It's the one with the car driving through a rainstorm, top up. Then all of a sudden it became sunny, the driver puts the top down.

I remembered it being a silver C70...

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts

I think you are already sold on the C70...you just don't know it!

just drove the new C70 (minutes ago) and I have to admit that I considered it to an S40, and I didn't really like that.. but as they say.."don't judge a book by its cover." As I was driving it....it just felt right. If you want a convertable, you have it....in the winter just leave the top up! No hard tops to buy, no leaky roof or any of that nonsense.

I am anxious to compare the VW to the C70....nevermind the pontiac.

God I love the Dynaudio!! That is a MUST!!!

Modified by nobbe3728 at 6:54 PM 4-21-2006

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: C70 or Pontiac G6 or VW or???? (BenES)

I scheduled a test drive for the C70 next sunday. If I like it , I'll take one back to the states with me. I like what I've read so far, the roof seems really nice as opposed to a soft top , what I'm used to.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Re: C70 or Pontiac G6 or VW or???? (BenES)

Quote, originally posted by BenES »
The VW just isn't a competitor... it's really a class lower (like Focus CC, Astra CC, Renault, Peugeot...)

How are VW's a class lower?? VW builds more expensive (and less expensive) cars than Volvo!!!

The price range of the EOS fits in a much larger domographic than the Volvo.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: C70 or Pontiac G6 or VW or???? (nobbe3728)

Quote, originally posted by nobbe3728 »

How are VW's a class lower?? VW builds more expensive (and less expensive) cars than Volvo!!!

The price range of the EOS fits in a much larger domographic than the Volvo.

It's 17.2 cm shorter.....

·
Registered
29 Posts

Honda, Nissan and Toyota all build more expensive cars than Volvo. Does that make them a class higher?

Modified by yellow at 1:12 AM 4-24-2006

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Quote, originally posted by adp »
The Volvo will cost 10K more than the G6, I think. Maybe more. Worth it?

Yannis

·
Registered
8,839 Posts

A

If you spend any time in a Pontiac you will see how much nicer a Volvo is.

Forget the safety aspect for one minute.
You know there is no way that Pontiac is going to offer the high strength steels, air curtains and whiplash reducing seats that Volvo is.

The fit and finish, the comfort of the seats, the secure feeling in the C70 is something that Pontiac simply can't duplicate.

As for the V-dub, it is a smaller car. It has a shorter warranty, no loaner car, a loaded EOS isn't going to be much less than the C70.
Look at Passat prices vs the S60 or Jetta prices vs the S40.
The VW's are as much or more than the Volvo's!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: C70 or Pontiac G6 or VW or???? (VolvoMax)

Or, wait for the BMW 335ci.

300 hp 300 ft/lbs, 36 foot turning circle, power retractable hardtop, 0-60 in something like 5.5 sec. Similar safety features, and, and. You can preview the 335i (not the convertible version, but it is close to what the 335ci will be; and the photos are so much better than the grainy spy photos that have been circulating on the web...) at:

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles...coupe

Volvo better not get complacent! The 335ci is going put the C70 (as presently spec'd) to shame.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: C70 or Pontiac G6 or VW or???? (avolvofan)

Quote, originally posted by avolvofan »

300 hp 300 ft/lbs, 36 foot turning circle, power retractable hardtop, 0-60 in something like 5.5 sec. Similar safety features, and, and. You can preview the 335i (not the convertible version, but it is close to what the 335ci will be; and the photos are so much better than the grainy spy photos that have been circulating on the web...) at:

Volvo better not get complacent! The 335ci is going put the C70 (as presently spec'd) to shame.

The E90 325i will put the C70 to shame.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts

Quote, originally posted by avolvofan »

Too bad the bimmer will probably be $60,000.

·
Registered
212 Posts

If you want a convertable, you have it....in the winter just leave the top up! No hard tops to buy, no leaky roof or any of that nonsense.

Modified by nobbe3728 at 6:54 PM 4-21-2006

But you WILL have to buy winter tires, most likely. The car I drove had HP summer-only tires on it, I believe.

That BMW looks sweet. Thing is, you can always wait for something better. The long wait has already turned some potential Volvo buyers into customers for different cars. Who knows how long a wait it will be until the BMW convertible comes out.

Me, I'm happy driving my Z roadster for now. This thing is a kick. I've decided I'm not quite old enough for Volvo yet.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »
A

If you spend any time in a Pontiac you will see how much nicer a Volvo is.

Forget the safety aspect for one minute.
You know there is no way that Pontiac is going to offer the high strength steels, air curtains and whiplash reducing seats that Volvo is.

The fit and finish, the comfort of the seats, the secure feeling in the C70 is something that Pontiac simply can't duplicate.

I agree with you 100%, but since I'll be buying something for one of my kids to drive fairly soon, and since two college tuitions are right around the corner, I may not give myself the luxury of a $40,000 vehicle.......

THEN what do I do?

No question the C70 is the best car, given my needs. But we don't always get to satisfy our needs, eh?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »
Too bad the bimmer will probably be $60,000.
Given that there already is a 328i, if price is an issue, that should likely be an option for the price-concerned. But $60,000??? that strikes me as a bit on the high side.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: C70 or Pontiac G6 or VW or???? (Nebor)

Quote, originally posted by Nebor »
The E90 325i will put the C70 to shame.
I think it is going to be the 328i (slightly higher displacement and a bit more hp & ft/lbs.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: C70 or Pontiac G6 or VW or???? (Beach girl)

Quote, originally posted by Beach girl »
That BMW looks sweet.
Amen to that. Imagine what the 335 ci (with the powered hardtop will look like http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Volvo is going to have some serious competition.

Thing is, you can always wait for something better.
Well, yes you can, but there will be some real choices available within the next 12 to 18 months. I doubt the C70 will be available in any kind of volume until the next 12 months. If you have to wait 12 months for a C70, is it worth waiting an additional 6 months for a 335ci????

Who knows how long a wait it will be until the BMW convertible comes out.
BMW has been meeting their published schedule for production release of the E90 models. Based on the history for the E90 roll-out, they look like they should meet a mid-2007 schedule for the 335/328ci.

Me, I'm happy driving my Z roadster for now. This thing is a kick. I've decided I'm not quite old enough for Volvo yet.
The most important decision point is are you happy/is the car fun? You are paying a chunk of change for the car, so you should enjoy it. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts

If the new BMW 3 series coupe is AWD....will it be the BMW 335 "CXI?" or for the convertable.."335CXIC?" just some food for thought.

No, but maybe you're old enough to upgrade to the best roadster ever made.....THE BOXSTER...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts