SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so Jeremy Clarkson is obnoxious and weird. (He drives a Ford GT and lives in a lighthouse. Like, come on.) But in the end, he's almost always right.

The first half of the review is a pointless digression, but the verdict is a suckerpunch for anybody who's ordered a C70...

http://driving.timesonline.co.....html

Incidentally, he also owns an XC90, so this review is hardly a bias against Volvo.

Anyone driven a new C70 yet? Is he full of it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (asthenia)

Go and learn to read. He *loved* the car but he hated the steering. Maybe he had a misadjusted copy or there's something genuinely wrong with it. Here are the parts he loved:

> Like so many new cars these days, the Volvo C70 has a hard metal roof that slides electrically into the boot. That sounds great but there is a problem: the boot has to be at least as long as the roof, and because of that no car maker has managed to make a car of this type look right.

> Peugeot, Renault and Nissan have made a complete monkey's breakfast of it, and even Mercedes hasn't got it quite right with either the SL or the SLK. Both are just too J-Lo chunky at the back.

> Jaguar experimented with the idea of a folding hard top for the new XK but resorted to canvas in the end because they simply couldn't make the styling work.

> Volvo, however, has cracked it because the C70 has a roof that folds in half. Swedish flat-pack furniture. And now, a Swedish flat-pack roof. Mind you, it is pretty complicated.

> Certainly you should never operate this roof in public because it will cause those in passing cars to lose concentration and crash. And pedestrians to think you're showing off. But whatever, it means the car looks sensational with the roof up and, dare I say it, even better when it's down.

> Inside, there is plenty of space in the back for adults, although I really can't recommend putting children back there when the roof's moving about. They could be sucked into the machinery and never seen again.

> In the front, it's even better. Lots of space. Lots of light. Some genuinely stylish touches and quite the most impressive sound system since Jerry Garcia stopped being grateful and started being dead. It churns out 910 watts. This means you can still hear Whispering Bob Harris even if you're tooling along, roof down, at 150mph.

> This, then, is a car with a sky-high want-one factor. And with prices starting at £26,200 it's not that expensive either. Even though they charge an extra £25 for a switch to turn the passenger airbag off. How can a switch cost £25 when it isn't part of a nuclear missile or a space rocket? Whatever, on paper at least, the Volvo looks like a safer, more stylish, more practical and generally better convertible than anything at this level from BMW, Audi or Mercedes. I honestly thought I'd stumbled on a bit of a hidden jewel here.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (Another Anon)

I'm pretty sure I can read, thanks. I was focusing more on points like:

> "...this car felt so weird to drive that after just 200 yards I pulled over to see if I had a puncture."

> "Eventually I got used to it, in the same way that eventually you can get used to a headache."

> "Volvo plainly has the ability to make this car work. They have the stylists and the engineers. But they built this car using parts from other, lesser Volvos."

Final rating is 4/5 (80%, math fans), but the 'verdict' is:

> "Clever and appealing, but a bit like flat-pack furniture, not quite complete"

I wouldn't say he "loved" the car, after reading that. But enough quoting, is it really that distractingly awkward to drive?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

Rating of 4/5 but it's "Possibly the most disappointing car in the history of the universe" ??

All he's saying in his bombastic, over-the-top rhetoric is that it's a nice car but he didn't like the steering feel and it had some torque steer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (Another Anon)

Actually the folding roof top was designed and made by a German company. The same company that is doing the new A4 Cab and 2008 BMW Convt.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
His description of the first 200 yards of driving sounds a lot like Volvos with flat spot tires. The Volvo Pirelli combination in particular has been very susceptible to this issue (it disappears with a few miles of driving after the car has been sitting for some time.)

·
Registered
728 Posts

Quote, originally posted by asthenia »
Final rating is 4/5 (80%, math fans), but the 'verdict' is:

> "Clever and appealing, but a bit like flat-pack furniture, not quite complete"

I wouldn't say he "loved" the car, after reading that. But enough quoting, is it really that distractingly awkward to drive?

A 4/5 rating from Clarkson is pretty damn good!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (robert_in_ca)

Quote, originally posted by robert_in_ca »
Actually the folding roof top was designed and made by a German company. The same company that is doing the new A4 Cab and 2008 BMW Convt.

And the same company that will be making the roof for the VW Eos.

Yannis

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (GrecianVolvo)

Whether Jeremy's verdict effects your decision to get a new C70 or not is irrelevant as it most likely will effect sales of this car and any other car he says something about. Granted his style of journalism is with a heavy dosage of humor, but in the automotive world of journalism, he's pretty much da s--t.

And for what it's worth; I think he's right, it IS the most disappointing car in the history of the universe! I was expecting so much more for the C70. The design has grown on me over time and I do like it from certain angles but it should have smacked me silly and to the floor from the very beginning like the first design did. Volvo has the ability, they've done so in the past and have done so with the new S80! I still look at pictures of the new C and think that doesn't look right.

The new roof is awesome and that its a technological improvement from its predecessor is fantastic... but it is missing something, and that in my opinion is so sad.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: (rollie)

Quote, originally posted by rollie »
His description of the first 200 yards of driving sounds a lot like Volvos with flat spot tires. The Volvo Pirelli combination in particular has been very susceptible to this issue (it disappears with a few miles of driving after the car has been sitting for some time.)

If so, then that is a massive marketing failure on Volvo's part. They should have warmed the car up before handing it over to such an important reviewer.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (robert_in_ca)

Quote, originally posted by robert_in_ca »

I'm pretty sure Pininfarina, the Italian company, did the top for the C70.

If you get past the over the top descriptions, it pretty much sums up what most reviews say of modern Volvos: built pretty well, great design, but it's no scorcher on the road. Drive it casually and it works fine. Try to push it and the experience isn't as good as the Germans. Which isn't a bad thing.

I'll admit that Volvo isn't a driver's car- I'm not saying it's a dull drive. It's a fun car to drive and gives you a unique experience on the road. But it's no driver's car like a BMW. Which is expected, look at what Volvo has been focusing on over the last decade- safety and design. Sure they have always had the R models and have always fiddled with the turbos, and the random BTCC entry but performance isn't their focus. From the last few cars that have been released (S40, C70, C30), the emphasis is design and safety.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (eurotrash)

Quote, originally posted by eurotrash »

I'm pretty sure Pininfarina, the Italian company, did the top for the C70.

Well, there's no need arguing for it.
Pininfarina and Webasto jointly formed a company called "Open Air Systems" in 2002. Webasto had long history designing roofs for German cars like BMW, Audi and VW. Of course, the VW Eos roof is also designed by Webasto. Volvo did ask Pininfarina to design the C70 roof. Obviously, both roofs were done before the Open Air Systems were totally taken by Webasto in December 2004. Therefore, Open Air Systems (or Webasto) claims that both (and other) roofs are designed by them.
http://www.openairsystems.com/company/en/3918.html

Modified by yellow at 10:34 PM 3-13-2006

·
Registered
746 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (Barry)

It most certaintly wouldn't effect my decsion if I was on the market for a C70 CC, or any other convertible for that matter. I think Clarkson is driving home a lot of points that a lot of us would like to ignore, especially the loyalists. Volvo has the potential to make true drivers cars but they neglect their resources that the many other more performance oriented brands in the Ford group have to offer. Volvo use to thrive on the image of being safe but now we're living in times where every car is "safe". So it works to an extent, point is, they need something that's going to do more for the brands image, bring new customers in. I'm not saying that Volvo abandon FWD and switch to RWD, that's not going to happen, but look at what BMW did w/ the Mini, proved FWD can indeed be fun through balancing out the mechanicals of the FWD layout. It will forever elude me what holds Volvo back from making truly entertaining cars w/ note worthy handling characteristics. For the mean time, IPD and others are here to save the day. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
315 Posts

Drove this car around a track back in November, these where hand built hardly upto standard cars and they were stunning on the track, the properly built cars which are now on the road in the UK are better again.

So what if it shares some bits with an S40/V50, at least it borrows the best bits, the excellent interior (built to a higher standard), the suspension and the 5cyl engines which are not unique to the S40 anyways, how can clarkson rave about these other points in other Volvo's but the second they are combined into one car he calls it dissapointing! Hes just full of himself as usual and thinks his opinions are all that matters in the world.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (After_Shock)

He also said the XC90 handled like a giraffe but he still has one... also he mentionned that the roof of the SL is not that nice designed and he also has one

Besides he compares everyting with the roadholding of a Modena

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (BenES)

Quote, originally posted by BenES »
He also said the XC90 handled like a giraffe but he still has one... also he mentionned that the roof of the SL is not that nice designed and he also has one

How many cars does he have?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: C70 "most disappointing car in the history of the universe" (e1618978)

He has alot! Xc90, SL55AMG, Ferrari F355, not sure if he stil has the Jag XJR or not, has a Range Rover aswell. Ford GT probably among others.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

Quote, originally posted by After_Shock »
He has alot! Xc90, SL55AMG, Ferrari F355, not sure if he stil has the Jag XJR or not, has a Range Rover aswell. Ford GT probably among others.

No, he sold the 355 to get a SL55. I've heard he has a SLK55 amg too.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote, originally posted by After_Shock »
Hes just full of himself as usual and thinks his opinions are all that matters in the world.

What do you think he gets paid to do?

He sold his SL and SLK to help pay for this GT, not sure about the SLK, but I know he doesnt have the SL anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.