SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing the center speaker, I noticed that the magnet on the speaker fell to the side. I think its because the speaker cannot handle that much power that's why the magnet flew away. So, now I want to replace the speaker and I dont want to buy the factory one, since it'll probably do the same thing. Does anyone know what the specs is for the factory center speaker? I want to buy a better one. I know its 5-1/2" 1-way and only has the label Volvo, 9472027 LHD, 10347 98W22, Sweden 8 ohm. Guess its not a Dynaudio or a Harman Kardon. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,<P>Leo

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just get a decent speaker that will fit the opening. Amazingly enough, all you need is a one way. Dont get a 2 way, it will cause the center to attract too much attention to itself. I had the same thing happe to multiple volvo speakers I have changed. Happened in my dads S80 and on my 850's speakers. It has nothing to do with power, the specs volvo gives for power output is wishful thinking to say the least. Well it measured lower for my system and my dads. My dad kept his stock one, and I measured it cuz it was apart and I was borred. I measured mine, which had the outboard 50x4 amp, and I got 17 watts out of each one below 2% distortion. I thought that was being liberal as most companies would spec them at 50x4 at less than 1%. It did do 50 at 12% however. Anyway, thats all not important, the center amp is probably putting out about 5-15 watts, which is plenty, I promise. The reason the magnet fell of is the glue, It isnt the right kind of glue or something. I wonder if it wasnt designed for our humid summers or something, some glues dont handle water at all. If you would like a recomendation for a center speaker I suppose the Kicker Resolutions would work well. You could always add a dynaudio driver, but if you did that, I would recomend the Midrange driver instead, and that would require making an adapter plate. That actually would be a good idea though, do that. <A HREF="http://www.uscaraudio.com/catalog/item791.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.uscaraudio.com/catalog/item791.htm</A> good source for the drivers, they are reliable for the most part. Well I havent had any problems with them. Now as for what to do, you will need to put a cap inline to protect it, if it doesnt have one already, to filter out the lows. It would improve your imaging some though, have a nice sound, but it would be more expensive than just getting an inexpensive replacement driver.<P>

·
Registered
194 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pj's 850:<BR><B>Just get a decent speaker that will fit the opening. Amazingly enough, all you need is a one way. Dont get a 2 way, it will cause the center to attract too much attention to itself. I had the same thing happe to multiple volvo speakers I have changed. Happened in my dads S80 and on my 850's speakers. It has nothing to do with power, the specs volvo gives for power output is wishful thinking to say the least. Well it measured lower for my system and my dads. My dad kept his stock one, and I measured it cuz it was apart and I was borred. I measured mine, which had the outboard 50x4 amp, and I got 17 watts out of each one below 2% distortion. I thought that was being liberal as most companies would spec them at 50x4 at less than 1%. It did do 50 at 12% however. Anyway, thats all not important, the center amp is probably putting out about 5-15 watts, which is plenty, I promise. The reason the magnet fell of is the glue, It isnt the right kind of glue or something. I wonder if it wasnt designed for our humid summers or something, some glues dont handle water at all. If you would like a recomendation for a center speaker I suppose the Kicker Resolutions would work well. You could always add a dynaudio driver, but if you did that, I would recomend the Midrange driver instead, and that would require making an adapter plate. That actually would be a good idea though, do that. <A HREF="http://www.uscaraudio.com/catalog/item791.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.uscaraudio.com/catalog/item791.htm</A> good source for the drivers, they are reliable for the most part. Well I havent had any problems with them. Now as for what to do, you will need to put a cap inline to protect it, if it doesnt have one already, to filter out the lows. It would improve your imaging some though, have a nice sound, but it would be more expensive than just getting an inexpensive replacement driver.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The C70 Dolby Surround system already has a high pass filter in the Dolby processor so adding an inline cap is not necessary.<BR>The output power of the centre speaker amp (integrated in the SC-901 head unit) is 25 Watts. All Volvo amps are specified at 10% distortion since this is an industry standard for OEM systems.<BR>Please note that the installation depth is very shallow for the C70 centre speaker, the Dynaudio midrange will not work here unless you increase the height of the grille.<BR>In the Dolby system the centre needs its tweeter to correctly blend with the side systems. If all controls are set to default the tonal and level balance should be just right since it was with these settings the system was approved by Dolby Laboratories.<BR>As I wrote in the C70 forum the glue in the magnet is now replaced by a screw to avoid magnets falling off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Audioguy:<BR><B> The C70 Dolby Surround system already has a high pass filter in the Dolby processor so adding an inline cap is not necessary.<BR>The output power of the centre speaker amp (integrated in the SC-901 head unit) is 25 Watts. All Volvo amps are specified at 10% distortion since this is an industry standard for OEM systems.<BR>Please note that the installation depth is very shallow for the C70 centre speaker, the Dynaudio midrange will not work here unless you increase the height of the grille.<BR>In the Dolby system the centre needs its tweeter to correctly blend with the side systems. If all controls are set to default the tonal and level balance should be just right since it was with these settings the system was approved by Dolby Laboratories.<BR>As I wrote in the C70 forum the glue in the magnet is now replaced by a screw to avoid magnets falling off.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ok Thanks, do you think I can get the speaker replaced for free since it's a design flaw of the speaker? I know my car is out of warranty already.<P>Leo<P>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leo Hsu:<BR><B>do you think I can get the speaker replaced for free since it's a design flaw of the speaker? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If it's a recall item, they will do it for free regardless if your car is outta warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts