SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 2007 needed a charge when I first purchased. Blows cold and then after driving awhile it doesn't blow cold. We fiddle with the fan speed ( off of automatic) and the outside vs inside air circulation with no appreciable change. Stop even for 5-10 minutes and upon start up it blows cold again.

Thoughts.

·
Registered
464 Posts
A/C compressor clutch. A common problem with the P1 cars...

Expensive fix: replace A/C compressor assembly.

Cheap fix: remove some of the A/C clutch shims.

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
941 Posts
^Yup.

(Edit: Laziness on my part for not giving a link last night. Mea culpa.)

Here’s Michael (MyNameIdeasWereTaken on the SS Forum)’s write up on FCP Euro for the shim repair. There are quite a few other posts in the S40/V50 (2005-2012) forum, but this is the one I used for both my S40 and ‘08 C70:

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-fix-intermittent-ac-in-a-volvo-p1

BD

’98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the good news is that I took the copy of the thread and Michael's multi-page write up tp an independent garage that I've trusted. Was very happy with all the documentation provided. Didn't think it would be a problem.

Wrong, just got a call that the bolt is seized and consequently they can't repair and want to replace the compressor at the tune of $800. (says the clutch is one with the compressor). Does that seem like the answer guys or is worth taking to a Volvo only shop about 40 miles away to see if they can do .

Might wait if it is the compressor until next spring but as this is to be a winter car does this situation effect the defroster's ability to function?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don’t recall it being an issue with defrosting in the winter. If it’s truly stripped, you may want to go with the ghetto solution in the interim and pop some “e” clips, zip ties or bread clips on the outside of the clutch until that fix no longer works. Here’s an example of what it looks like with the zip ties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sjEPiXNDP0

BD

’98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Wrong, just got a call that the bolt is seized and consequently they can't repair and want to replace the compressor at the tune of $800. (says the clutch is one with the compressor). Does that seem like the answer guys or is worth taking to a Volvo only shop about 40 miles away to see if they can do .

Might wait if it is the compressor until next spring but as this is to be a winter car does this situation effect the defroster's ability to function?
If you're interested, I have a used AC compressor. It has seen about 194k miles, with the clutch having been reshimmed around 140k miles, but it worked flawlessly when removed from the car. $80 shipped within continental US.

Winter defrosting is usually less of an issue since you're blasting heat instead of cold air. The few minutes at start up, when defrosting is usually required, the AC compressor should be engaging just fine anyway. But the answer to your question is entirely dependent upon your location. Here in GA, the winters are humid enough that without a functioning AC, it will not defrost the windows. I use it all year as a dehumidifier.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brendan thanks for the "Ghetto" link. Just might use it as $800+ really isn't exciting me right now as we approach cooler weather in Ohio.

Michael thanks for the offer. I just might take you up on that. Am taking it to a Volvo only independent shop next Tuesday. Will respond to your offer after the visit.

Is it possible to separate the clutch from the compressor assembly. I.E. use your operational clutch with my compressor that has half the miles. As said earlier blows very cold until clutch disengages. Shut it down and after another start it blows cold again.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Is it possible to separate the clutch from the compressor assembly. I.E. use your operational clutch with my compressor that has half the miles. As said earlier blows very cold until clutch disengages. Shut it down and after another start it blows cold afain.
Yes, but you said the problem was that the clutch bolt is rusted in place to the compressor. If you could get your own clutch off, then you could just reshim that one and be good to go.

Volvo also sells new compressor clutches for ~$200 that can be swapped on to existing compressors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That (10 mm) bolt is easy to get to. Even if you snap it in half use a bolt extractor or drill it out, what do you have to lose. I did this fix last spring, using a loaner tool to get the pulley off. Removed a shim and a/c has been perfect all summer.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That (10 mm) bolt is easy to get to. Even if you snap it in half use a bolt extractor or drill it out, what do you have to lose. I did this fix last spring, using a loaner tool to get the pulley off. Removed a shim and a/c has been perfect all summer.
Thanks. That is Nice to know. It is very easy to access. Thanks Volvo engineers. I hope mine keeps working. I drive with the top down all the time so I don’t turn on the AC much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well another country (or rather garage )heard from. Went to an outfit called Drennen Volvo Services about 45 minutes from me. When I called they said immediately that the A/C fix would be the shims. Did not mention that the other garage mentioned a seized bolt. (Afterwards I went back to first garage and had a very frank discussion with them and their $800 solution to my problem. )

Told him I did not understand the fix and asked if I could look over his shoulder. No problem! Less than 15 minutes later he showed me the three shims and why he was taking all three out due to the gap size. Drove home with A/C blowing full blast and it did not kick out.

Charged me an hours time of $85 but went over the whole car and found one small problem with a CV joint that he fixed for free. He said many parts underneath were replaced. Told him I had the timing belt changed and he said I bought a very nice car.....Made me very pleased.

Asked the new dealer about the offer for a used unit for $80 and he advised not buying (Thanks for the offer!) as they had three C70 parts cars. That gets me to describing their operation. They are a Volvo exclusive repair shop. Dad started the business and son is running it with 20 years experience. Asked as many stupid questions that I could think of and all were answered immediately with what sounded like sound info. Shop is well organized but the grounds are another story. Township wants them to get rid of 200 of their 300 parts cars as most exceed the commercial zoned area onto their residential field. To say it resembles a junk yard would be kind.

All things considered I would highly recommend:
Drennen Volvo Services
5220 Milford Road
Ravenna, Ohio 44266

Worth the drive from anywhere in Northeast Ohio or western Pa. Ask for Dave or Mark! Thanks to all on the site for their help.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Congrats on getting the correct fix at a reasonable cost, and finding the right indie! That will make all the difference, and it sounds like they’re top notch. I have a similar relationship here with a Volvo/Saab only indie for things beyond my capabilities/time. Awesome family business.

Sounds like you’re in store for many years of pleasurable Volvo ownership!

BD

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats on getting the correct fix at a reasonable cost, and finding the right indie! That will make all the difference, and it sounds like they’re top notch. Sounds like you’re in store for many years of pleasurable Volvo ownership!

BD
Pleased very pleased. Some of those stupid questions I asked had to do with Hardtop maintenance and repair. Convinced me they have repaired many. Yes Brendan I will take all repairs here. looking forward to years of Volvo pleasure.

Guys I have address and phone in a post a couple of posts previous. I would definitely check out their recycled parts before spending a fortune. Funny how things work as I was in an O'Reilly's auto parts looking for a light bulb when the clerk looked out the window and said " a nice looking C70". His Volvo has 240,000 miles on it and he recommended Drenenn's A lucky encounter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts