SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am planning on replacing the evaporator & the dryer on my 2001 C70. I think that its my evap leaking but the dryer was only $21 & free shipping on Ebay so I figured I would replace them both.
I went to AutoZone and they had a pack of universal O-rings that they said would work does any body know the O-ring sizes?
and now to the more complicated question
By replacing the evap & the dryer & the past lose of freon how can I accurately calculate how much A/C oil is still in the system? The AutoZone computer said the A/C system oil capacity is 8 1/2 oz.
They sell A/C oil in little bottles and in R34 recharge cans that include extra oil.
Should I worry about how much oil is in the system?
Do you think it lost much oil?
Should I just purchase a little bottle of A/C oil and pour a phew oz. of it into the evap before I reinstall the evap and then just charge the system?
I would purchase the R34 recharge can with extra A/C oil in it but the can contains like 13oz of oil and I am sure the system can't be completely dry and 13oz would be to much A/C oil.
Thanks for the help & any input

·
Registered
605 Posts
Explain what you call a/c oil

R34?

Most places will purge all the old R34 first, then refill with new. Of course you are supposed to capture all the old R34, and not let it into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At AutoZone they had what was called PAC oil {I think} they said it was A/C oil, the oil also severs as the dye that can be injected to detect leaks.
The AutoZone computer said that the A/C system capacity for the PAC oil was 8 1/2 oz
I checked the labels on the R34 recharge cans and they didn't mention having the oil in them but as I mention they did have one recharge can with extra oil it.
I was planning on having my A/C system evacuated at a shop were I know the owner so that I dont release what R34 is in the system into the atmosphere.
I am just trying to figure out if and how much oil I should add to the system when I replace the evap & dryer?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was researching the viscosity of the Pag oil for the A/C system in my C70 and it is 100 viscosity Pag oil. from their I found a link were a guy asked - how much Pag oil would be lost it the evaporator & dryer were replaced on a 1999 S70? A guy on the Matthews Volvo form replied - I use 4 ounce {120ML} if I find oil I can pour out of the accumulator {i think the accumulator is also called the dryer} If the evaporator lost enough oil out of the system so the accumulator is dry then I add 6 ounces {190ML}
I hope that information helps anybody that plans to do the project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts