SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 C30 R-design. I'm looking at getting a new set of rims for it.
Currently, it has a set of aftermarket 18x8 wheels with 225/40R18 tyres.

I'd like opinions on what the best wheel sizes are.

Firstly, in regards to width - should I stick with 8", go to 7.5" (which I believe is the stock specs) or go up to 8.5"? Will this actually make much difference to how the car drives and handles?

Secondly, can anyone comment on how much difference 19" wheels make to the ride quality. I've been advised that I'm best off staying with 18", but would like to hear of other experiences.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
if you already own 18" wheels, why do you want to change them?
instead of changing wheels better tires will give you better performance

if all you want to do is run 225mm then dont worry about the width and find the design you like first on any website like tirerack or discounttire or whatever store there is in australia
that is a very common tire size and fits 6.5 up to 7.5 inch rims

if you want to run 235mm or larger, then you will be limited by the wheel width and you will also have to worry about the wheel offset and should pick 8" wide wheels
the stock 17" "tires" are 205mm and is not recommended to fit an 8" wheel so there is no going back once you go big

you should buy 17" wheels for daily driving comfort but 18" are still fine and most people think they look better
there is no performance gain by using 19" wheels on a race track with thin tires, in fact, they perform worse and are mainly for show

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

if all you want to do is run 225mm then dont worry about the width and find the design you like first on any website like tirerack or discounttire or whatever store there is in australia

if you want to run 235mm or larger, then you will be limited by the wheel width and you will also have to worry about the wheel offset and should pick 8" wide wheels
the stock 17" "tires" are 205mm and is not recommended to fit an 8" wheel so there is no going back once you go big

you should buy 17" wheels for daily driving comfort but 18" are still fine and most people think they look better
there is no performance gain by using 19" wheels on a race track with thin tires, in fact, they perform worse and are mainly for show
Reason for changing them is mainly because I don't particularly like the style of the current ones, they were just on the car when I bought it. I have someone who will buy them from me and there are a couple of sales on at the moment meaning I can get a new set for not too much money.

If I went to 19" it would probably be for looks rather than performance, but I am hesitant to do this.
I'm thinking I'll probably stick to 18x8 unless there is a compelling case to get 18.7.5 instead.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
I mean, if you go with 8" wide wheels, you can go with wider tires. I don't think 18X7.5 will fit 235s. I went with 235s on my 2010, and it's been a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Improvement in terms of grip you mean?
My understanding was that wider tyres can grip/handle better through corners, but compromise some straight line grip. But I admit that I don't really understand the theory of wheels/suspension enough.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
I mean, if you go too wide, then yeah, I can see a compromise in acceleration grip. But for the most part, if the tires are sized to the wheels correctly, I don't think that would be a problem.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 2013 C30 R-design. I'm looking at getting a new set of rims for it.
Currently, it has a set of aftermarket 18x8 wheels with 225/40R18 tyres.

I'd like opinions on what the best wheel sizes are.

Firstly, in regards to width - should I stick with 8", go to 7.5" (which I believe is the stock specs) or go up to 8.5"? Will this actually make much difference to how the car drives and handles?

Secondly, can anyone comment on how much difference 19" wheels make to the ride quality. I've been advised that I'm best off staying with 18", but would like to hear of other experiences.

Thanks

I've ran 19x8.5 for about 4 years. Ride will be quite a bit
firmer. Will handle better, quicker steering response, but a
much firmer ride. Really depends on your goals. Larger wider
wheels/tires will deliver performance in cornering but your ride
quality will suffer. 18s will give better ride quality. A portion
of this will also be dependent on the type of tire you choose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m running 235s on my stock 17x7 wheels. They seem to fit perfectly, and I don’t have the extra weight of a wider wheel. Granted mine is a basic 2008 model so that’s probably why I have 17s. Just saying you might not need your wheels to be as wide as you might think.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I’m running 235s on my stock 17x7 wheels. They seem to fit perfectly, and I don’t have the extra weight of a wider wheel. Granted mine is a basic 2008 model so that’s probably why I have 17s. Just saying you might not need your wheels to be as wide as you might think.
Yes wheel weight becomes an issue at a certain point. If you know what I am
referencing then contact me via pm and we can discuss. However, for a DD Pick what fits
that you like the look of. Just remember, rotational mass, if that's the next big oh,oh,oh
but,but,but. Deals with a whole lot more than JUST the wheel weight. Again, if you are WAAAAAAY beyond stock
and need more advice. Please drop me a message. If your worried about that, then we might as well start discussing the drive shaft, pullies, and on and on and on.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi, I need a new full set set of tires for my C30R. What are folks recommending here? I've got 18" Pirelli Nero's on it now ( same as the tires that came with the new car in 2009) on it right now, but as I recall they are pricey. I like a performance feel, but I don't drive super aggressive, and would like something that will stick in wet weather and drive great on the dry as well. Texas weather. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I managed to get a 235 on mine with a elevate lowering springs, however I need to "roll" the fenders as they rub a bit over bumps. I did brace the chassis a bit and found they do not rub as much but still over big big bumps it will still come down and rub the outsides.

I love the look of them so much being wider. Makes it look almost like a AWD beast lol

Those are on a 8 inch rim off a S60 I think the dude I got them from said.

I guess I should have added i am running 235/45R18

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I was thinking about going the 40 route. Just could not find tires I liked and figured I would run off the ones I have now before i get new ones
I’m on 245/45/18

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to roll em to fit em on the lowering springs

How did you roll ? I tried in the back but found with the design of plastic trim and the fenders it kind of made it impossible to roll them without taking off the plastic trim

Or does the plastic trim just reattached the same way after rolling them?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
How did you roll ? I tried in the back but found with the design of plastic trim and the fenders it kind of made it impossible to roll them without taking off the plastic trim

Or does the plastic trim just reattached the same way after rolling them?
Correct. You need two tools, the roller and the pliers. You want to do more of a pull than a roll. You’ll also need extra plastic clips because you will brake some. Take the plastic off, use a heat gun and a infrared thermometer to check your temps. The hardest areas will be where the manufacturer has the bends for rigidity. Try to keep the areas where the clips go in the same plane. You will have to finesse certain spots with the pliers. (Fender pliers) My car has never seen winter so no rust. If yours has, then have a small wire brush handy to clean up the rust and respray the areas before you put it back together. Take your time. Totally doable with a bit of patients.

Closer look at the fender after I rolled/pulled and re-installed the plastic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts