SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XC90 V8 || 2008 C30 V1
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a new project car and I’d like to document ideas and progress here rather than in the C30 sub forum, since it’s really the T5 engine itself that will be the project. Hopefully I can gather ideas and advice from members across the board since the engine is cross-platform.

It’s a 2008 C30 T5 with an automatic transmission and over 250,000 miles! I was on a major time crunch to get this back home today, so I didn’t have a ton of time with it. As of right now, I know the engine "runs but has low compression in 2 of the 5 cylinders." I will pull the codes and get VIDA hooked up when I get a chance. The previous owner put a ton of money into the car over the years, and it’s in great shape. I am a self-taught automotive repair padawan, and I have done a lot in my years, but actual in-depth engine work will be a first for me. After I get a better idea of what’s actually needed, I will gather some opinions on which path to take, whether it’s repair, replace, or something new and wild (T5M AWD?!) My preference is OEM. We’ll see how it goes!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Pulled the codes with a quick scanner, still haven’t hooked up VIDA yet. We have:

P0027 exhaust valve control solenoid circuit range / performance bank 1

P0301 cylinder 1 misfire

P0302 cylinder 2 misfire

edit: hooked up VIDA:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Attempted the quick fix on the cylinder 1 & 2 misfire - spark plugs. Put Bosch plugs in cylinders 1 and 2, torqued to 22 ft lbs, cleared codes, started engine - same two codes. Rough idle (obviously).

Need some advice on next steps. Compression test?

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Were you able to confirm spark on both those plugs prior to install? I'd have my fingers crossed it was an ignition issue, but I don't have much experience yet with Volvo motors and chasing codes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were you able to confirm spark on both those plugs prior to install? I'd have my fingers crossed it was an ignition issue, but I don't have much experience yet with Volvo motors and chasing codes.
Negative. Just saw misfire codes on both those cylinders and started with new plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Well, and this isn't a Volvo specific answer, I would put a spark tester on the end of the wires and crank and see if they have spark. If no spark then it would be on the ignition side, if it has spark then I might look at compression tests or sticking a scope to look for physical damage in the cylinders. But to be fair, I normally work on old motors, not computer controlled stuff. Trying to learn the ropes there. But I'd wait for someone with more experience to answer as well =-D

Reactions: BKXC90

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, and this isn't a Volvo specific answer, I would put a spark tester on the end of the wires and crank and see if they have spark. If no spark then it would be on the ignition side, if it has spark then I might look at compression tests or sticking a scope to look for physical damage in the cylinders. But to be fair, I normally work on old motors, not computer controlled stuff. Trying to learn the ropes there. But I'd wait for someone with more experience to answer as well =-D
Thanks for the input, appreciated!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Updates! With VIDA information. I no longer have any cylinder misfires after a few key cycles, and no misfire codes. Still running rough.

With the code ECM-614B Camshaft control, exhaust - faulty, I did the test through VIDA. First the exhaust and then the other one (intake). Really sorry for the terrible pictures. Looks like this is the path I need to venture down. Could it be as easy as replacing these?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have replaced both cam solenoids, and the remaining 3 spark plugs. All 5 are new Bosch plugs. Tried giving it a go again - no codes this time but still a rough idle. A very odd smell coming from the exhaust, the only way to describe it is like fireworks. Almost sulfuric. I kept thinking something was on fire or melting but it’s coming from the exhaust and no smoke is present. Didn’t get a chance to hook up VIDA, but put my Sweden plate on there. Priorities, right?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bad injector or two? Was it sitting awhile
Possibly. Really hope I get a chance this weekend to spend some quality time under the hood. Need to check the PCV and replace the engine mounts too.

Wasn’t sitting too long. Maybe a few weeks at the most before I bought it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ran the camshaft sensor test again through VIDA and it failed. Both sensors are new, so that’s a bummer. No codes and still a rough idle.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C30 crew isn’t very active, apparently :D

@ScottishBrick how about some T5 help or guidance?

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
C30 crew isn’t very active, apparently :D

@ScottishBrick how about some T5 help or guidance?
Unfortunately am very limited in RNC/P1 knowledge. Mostly only chassis stuff/audio currently. Not gonna be much help.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s okay, I appreciate it. Any ideas as to who I could bother to gain some traction?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you tried replacing the fuel pressure sensor? I know it may be a little out of left field for what you had been looking at but that is what caused my rough idle at around 150k miles. Hell, how rough is the idle? if its a little rough idk but if its " engine having a seizure rough" i would check the vacuum tubes going around anything turbo related and the small tube that runs into the front of the intake manifold. ( bottom left, runs under the engine cover all the way around).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you tried replacing the fuel pressure sensor? I know it may be a little out of left field for what you had been looking at but that is what caused my rough idle at around 150k miles. Hell, how rough is the idle? if its a little rough idk but if its " engine having a seizure rough" i would check the vacuum tubes going around anything turbo related and the small tube that runs into the front of the intake manifold. ( bottom left, runs under the engine cover all the way around).
Thank you! I’ll check out the tubes and hoses for any obvious obstructions or issues. I have the FPS and injectors on my short list called “parts to throw at the car to fix it.” Hoping to narrow that list down a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yup! remember that it could be a very small hole causing a vacuum leak, but if it is as rough as it sounds it may be visible. you could test the tubes with a bike pump and some soapy water sprayed on the outside of them.

keep us posted, my C30 is slowly aging but still running strong as ever (160k miles) and I see no retirement for it anytime soon. Your issues and solutions could be useful information in the future!

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
If the seller said it had low compression, I wouldn't do anything until you check compression and cylinder leakage.

Regarding the VVT failing, make sure the oil is full, clean and the correct viscosity. The VVT system uses oil pressure to operate. So if the oil is low or the wrong viscosity, it can cause problems. If it fails with new oil and new solenoids, the next step is replacing the VVT hubs (cam pulleys).

But again, no use doing that on a motor with a compression problem.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
THANK YOU! Greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts