SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in a C30. probably won't be actually purchasing for a while, but I really want to make sure I get the exact car I want (right options, color, etc). I'm interested in an R design but from some photos i've seen there appears to be an undesirable amount of wheel gap in stock factory form, (i.e. - ride height too high) and I want to know beforehand if i'm going to need to invest in an aftermarket suspension (ideally i would prefer not to).

I'd very much appreciate if someone can post photos of stock suspension on factory 18"s please? I know seeing one in person would be ideal but i almost never see them on the road and getting to a dealership is a serious pain for me

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: C30 r design wheel gap (kick-ass)

For a few hundred bucks you can get a decent set of springs that helps get rid of the factory gap. I'd recommend this as it helps the looks a lot and depending on the springs can give some minor performance enhancements. If you're going to shell out the cash for a brand new one the extra $300-500 on springs shouldn't be a deal breaker...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: C30 r design wheel gap (carreragt7)

fair enough, won't be a deal breaker i just want have an idea of what i'm going to end up spending to get the exact car I want. i love the look of the r-design, almost the perfect car for me, I even think the 18" atreus factory wheels look great (right size, too).

but it sounds like i'm not going to be so pleased with the ride height. it's OK to just replace springs without doing shocks?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts

Yeah, on a brand new car no point in getting rid of the shocks. A lot of people on here run springs with the stock shocks without any major complaints. Ideally a coilover setup would be best but they also run around a thousand to 2k depending on the brand/quality.
I say get the car, try it out for a little bit and see if the stock height works for you, if not there are some nice options for springs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Re: (Token)

Quote, originally posted by Token »
In Europe, the R-Design is available with normal suspension or factory-lowered sports suspension. This is because people buying base engines e.g. 1.6 litre, are unlikely to want or benefit from lowered suspension. It also makes the ride a little too firm with the 18" wheels.

Pardon my ignorance then, so, the C30 with the sport suspension that I test drove out here in Rotterdam wouldn't be the same suspension setup if I ordered it via OSD? Ouch. I liked the sport suspension setup on th T5 I test drove, but they don't offer it on the US models? I was looking at maybe ordering one of these to replace the R. humm. .something else to add to the mod list I guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I saw a C30 in person yesterday for the first time, and all I could think was holy gapman batman! what were they thinking? I can almost fit my entire fist in the wheel gap.

after looking around the showroom it appears that the s40 and v50 suffer from the same problem.

its interesting how in the C30 brochure they handed out the gap is practically nonexistent. but whatever.

so what are people doing for springs? Heicos? Evoloves are relatively reasonably priced. Can anybody point me to any info?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Re: C30 r design wheel gap (DisrupTer911)

Quote, originally posted by DisrupTer911 »

this picture is BS it's obiosuly photoshopped because factory R-Design gap is HUGE and even with the Volvo Lowering springs of 20mm the gap is still bigger then that picture suggests.

I've seen the lowered R-Design at my dealer and its pretty much the same. Its so low that it makes the bodykit look almost like a dingy boat surrounding the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts

this is my friend i work with at the dealership. 08 r-design with springs from eibach
sits great !!!
rides good too http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: C30 r design wheel gap (T5_awd)

Quote, originally posted by T5_awd »

A new Swede Demon?!
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Yep! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

XC problem solved..

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Re:

Just read this report on the VC30 -T5 R- Design and got excited just reading about it. Geez I would love to own one.

Seems a few weak wrist think the doors are a bit heavy upon closing. That's genuine quality safety snugness I say. No tin can for me.

As far as engine bring on the twin turbo.
What we North Americans don't have an autobahn????
Is that it?

Volvo C30 T5 R-Design: review | Review | carsguide.com.au26 Aug 2009 ... Keith Didham road tests and reviews the Volvo C30 T5 R-Design.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/.....eview/ - 4 hours ago - Similar -

Modified by stev vanveit at 7:45 AM 8-26-2009

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.