SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After destroying OEM motor mounts year over year I decided to upgrade to poly inserts. Soooooooo, I spoke with the guys at FCP Euro and got the inserts and mounts added to their catalogue. The passenger side mount is pretty straight forward but no one offered a solution to the driver side trans mount. It turns out that the Focus MK2/Volvo c70 2009+ is a perfect fit and PowerFlex does offer the insert for this mount, and as such, so too does FCP Euro now. I went with yellow 70 duro and love the way the car hooks and the vibration isn't any worse than when I installed the Elevate lower torque mount. The car is way more responsive on throttle now that the play from the overly soft OEM style mounts is gone.

Here's the process......
Start by making reference marks as to how the mounts are clocked on the frame rails and motor with a marker.
Start with new OEM mounts....Might as well while your in there.

Drivers side transmission mount...FCP Euro

Note: The part numbers you see are correct with FCP Euro but they haven't updated their image yet. When they do I will update this post. Here is what the mount you will receive will look like....

This is the PowerFlex poly insert I chose to use, installed on the mount. Image from (PowerFlex website.)

Here it is installed on the OEM mount on my car before bolting it down...

Two torque screws is all you will need to remove the plate from the OEM mount to install the PowerFlex insert. The insert can only be installed one way, but make note of the orientation of the metal how it sits on the mount so it is clocked correctly.

Note: The yellow inserts are 70 duro which I chose for a DD but you can easily upgrade to full racing poly (black) if you so choose. Just make those selections when purchasing. You can also get things really stiff by using a "Full Race" mount along with the PowerFlex Poly. There are several other options that I have explored and this is the most economical, customizable and plug and play option I've found. ie. Full billet options are available.

Here is the Passenger side mount...FCP Euro...

Here is the 70 duro insert you will use...(image from PowerFlex website)

Here is the insert installed... Side view...

Note: there is 1 bolt at the bottom of the mount that will need to be removed in order to install the lower portion of the insert. Make marks on the mount for reference when going to re-install the mount to the base so it is clocked correctly. Once the mount is bolted back to the motor, place the upper part of the insert onto the mount making sure each side of the insert is seated onto the lower part of the insert correctly and then place the upper metal bracket back onto the mount and put the frame rail bolts back in and tighten down.

Here is the mount as it sits installed on my car...

Overall....A much needed improvement over the glycol filled OEM passenger filled mount alone. No more ruptured bladder and glycol down the side of the motor. This will also help to keep things in the engine bay where they should be and not put unwanted stress on them due to the extreme movement of the motor pitching about in the engine bay. ie. This has eliminated my turbo to down pipe flange recurring exhaust leak as the flex pipe isn't being beat to death. FWIW, I highly recommend this upgrade for anyone that is either A, tired of replacing broken mounts, or B, is looking for that extra performance, and C, is a must for those that spend "any" time at the track in their cars. This is an upgrade that you "will" notice. Not just (NVH) for those that are concerned. BTW, there will be some added, but it's not brutal with the 70 duro even on my auto trans. You manual guys won't have any added. (Assuming you know why)

Hope this helps someone out.....

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Nice job! It's been hit or miss with me trying to get fcp to add things to their catalogue. Sometimes I'll get them to add something I really didn't think they could and other times I'll get someone who doesn't want to add something that they would normally have.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I wonder how much vibration this would cause at idle for us manual guys / gals? I know it will be less due to having a manual in the first place. Just replaced all of my engine mounts this last summer, including a eFocus torque mount and new torque arm. Wondering if this would help with my shift feel as well.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder how much vibration this would cause at idle for us manual guys / gals? I know it will be less due to having a manual in the first place. Just replaced all of my engine mounts this last summer, including a eFocus torque mount and new torque arm. Wondering if this would help with my shift feel as well.
Very little. This is why I went with inserts vs straight poly mounts. The inserts come to play when the motor tries to shift and limits its movement. They're not solid, so you still get some of the vibration dampening from the OEM mounts while at idle.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just caught the bit about "shift feel". Yes, you will definitely notice a difference in the shifts. More precise and minimized the delay to put the power down. It won't feel as sloppy.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
So has FCP officially added these inserts to their catalogue yet? When searching for them by part number on their site I got nothing.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So has FCP officially added these inserts to their catalogue yet? When searching for them by part number on their site I got nothing.
Vincent said it will take a bit but will be added. If you want the set up, just call FCP and ask for Vincent and he'll get you sorted until they get the site updated. I'll also call in today and give him a heads up.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Thanks. I'll probably order it in with my timing components within the next few weeks!

I recently ordered a whole new OEM trans mount from FCP, do you think I would be able to warranty it out for the new C70 II mount you posted about that's compatible with the inserts?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Hmmm.....I just replaced both those and the lower mount while trying to track down why my shift lever moves around in reverse. Still happens, of course.

Wonder if these would help, it's definitely the motor shifting a bit as I disengage and engage the clutch.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I'll probably order it in with my timing components within the next few weeks!

I recently ordered a whole new OEM trans mount from FCP, do you think I would be able to warranty it out for the new C70 II mount you posted about that's compatible with the inserts?
More than likely not, as they are different part numbers and it is a tit for tat warranty. I'm in the same boat with my mounts.
Hmmm.....I just replaced both those and the lower mount while trying to track down why my shift lever moves around in reverse. Still happens, of course.

Wonder if these would help, it's definitely the motor shifting a bit as I disengage and engage the clutch.
I couldn't believe how soft the "new" mounts were. I could easily flex the mounts over a 1/2 inch by hand without a lot of effort. Now imagine hundreds of pounds and hundreds of ft/lbs thrown at them....waaaaay under engineered.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
So regular C30 passenger side mount, but C70 MKII driver's side/upper transmission mount?

I literally just replaced them both over the summer. But like I said, I'm still having weirdness with the shift lever moving around when I engage and disengage the clutch in reverse. I don't think anything is "wrong" but it's really annoying. Maybe I'll tackle this over the summer again.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So regular C30 passenger side mount, but C70 MKII driver's side/upper transmission mount?

I literally just replaced them both over the summer. But like I said, I'm still having weirdness with the shift lever moving around when I engage and disengage the clutch in reverse. I don't think anything is "wrong" but it's really annoying. Maybe I'll tackle this over the summer again.
Correct. Regular passenger and c70 drivers side.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
This is awesome. Should be shared with the other P1 owners.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is awesome. Should be shared with the other P1 owners.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Lead the way. I'm not super savvy with the forum workings. I don't even know what a "sticky" is. lol. I created the post to share with "all" that might benefit.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I would avoid the lower torque mount poly bushing.
i read that the bushing was too hard, and disintegrated on another users post. Installed it anyways and experienced the same issue.
What company did you use for the poly? How was it installed? I've had the Elevate lower torque mount "poly" for about 4 or 5 years now without issue. If you go with PowerFlex, the bushings are "lifetime" replacement. We've used them in drag applications without failure issues?? Very strange. As for the "hardness", yes they are stiffer and you will need to decide how much comfort you are willing to give up each time you add more performance. This is why for my daily I don't go over 70 duro. They are stiff, but won't rattle you teeth out of your head while sitting at a stop light. Straight race?? Who cares about NVH, its about crossing the line first go as stiff as you can get. "Solid" mounts. I find it very hard to believe that the poly just came apart from the small amount of torque that our cars see....??? Clearly yours failed, but I am thinking that something else is amiss?

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Agreed... Something else is wrong for that bushing to simple disintegrate. Perhaps there was a bad batch coming from Volvo for a few months.

Just to clarify, it's common for the torque mount bushing to fail with time, it's a stressed part by design. There are a lot of poorly designed aftermarket torque mount bushings that fail prematurely.
What you have pictured is the torque arm bushing.

I have a solid metal torque mount and that torque arm bushing is still fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts