Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn it! I thought we might get something special. Just a paint job? :mad:

Volvo Introduces 2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition

Specially equipped model targets enthusiasts
Production limited to 250 vehicles exclusively for U.S. market
Standard Polestar performance software increases horsepower, torque

ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (Sept. 11, 2012) - While the Volvo C30 has often been called the sportiest-looking Volvo, a new, limited-production version may also be called an "enthusiast magnet" when it makes its way to showrooms in November.

The 2013 Volvo C30 Polestar Limited Edition will definitely be limited in volume - only 250 will be made, beginning in October. But it won't be limited when it comes to youthful exuberance and is packaged in a remarkably attractive and affordable container. The base MSRP is $32,445, which includes an $895 destination charge.

The excitement begins under the hood where the C30's standard 2.5-liter turbocharged 5-cylinder engine receives a healthy performance upgrade. Polestar, Volvo's official performance partner, provides performance software that boosts output by 23 horsepower and 37 lb.-ft. of torque to 250 hp and 273 lb.-ft. This power boost is realized by increasing airflow into the combustion chambers and advancing spark timing.

Polestar's upgrade offers the best of both worlds: Optimized power and torque without affecting fuel consumption. This is possible thanks to efficient tuning of the engine which only increases the power output when it's needed. Thus EPA fuel economy estimates are identical to the standard C30 T5 R-Design with 21 mpg city/29 mpg highway for the six-speed manual transmission and 21 mpg city/30 mpg highway with the optional five-speed Geartronic automatic.

The visual magnetism of the C30 Polestar Limited Edition is enhanced with new 17-inch Styx alloy wheels with matte black finish and Polestar badges on the rear and sides of the vehicle. To signify that this C30 is special, all 250 iterations will wear the new-for-2013 exterior hue of Rebel Blue and have a special interior numbered plate.

Inside, the C30 Polestar Limited Edition's sporty cabin is dressed with premium leather seating surfaces in a choice of Off-Black or two-tone Off-Black and Calcite. Standard features, equivalent to the Premier Plus trim level of the C30 T5 R-Design, include a power glass sunroof, power driver's seat with memory, soft loadcover, auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, power passenger's seat, LED daytime running lights, Keyless Drive and active dual Xenon headlights.

Customers can further upgrade this model by selecting the optional Platinum trim level. This includes the superb Volvo Premium Sound System with Dolby® Pro Logic® II Surround Sound, 10 loudspeakers and an astonishing 650 watts. Also included is a navigation system with real time traffic, remote control and map care plus Sirius/XM satellite radio.

The C30 Polestar Limited Edition features standard R-Design cues including a color-coordinated body kit, front grille R-Design logo, R-Design watch dial instrument cluster, unique aluminum inlays, R-Design sport steering wheel and sport pedals.

For 2013, this version - like all C30s - gains standard rain sensor windshield wipers and headlight washers. A Climate Package can be added to the C30 Polestar Limited Edition with heated front seats, Electronic Climate Control (ECC) and Interior Air Quality System (IAQS).

A Sport Chassis, standard on the C30 T5 R-Design and C30 Polestar Limited Edition, provides improved chassis dynamics and steering reflexes. Compared to the C30 T5, spring stiffness for the R-Design is increased by 30 percent while the dampers feature a mono-tube design that builds up pressure quicker for 20 percent increased low-speed damping. Steering is more precise with stiffer bushings and a 10-percent-quicker steering ratio.

Like all C30s, the C30 Polestar Limited Edition is well-equipped with standard safety features including Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC), Volvo's Side Impact Protection System (SIPS) and Whiplash Protection Seating System (WHIPS).

Volvo Cars of North America

Public Affairs

1 Volvo Drive

Rockleigh NJ 07647

United States

Phone: 1-800-970-0888

https://www.media.volvocars.com/SUPPORT/ http:/www.media.volvocars.com/us/

·
Registered
31 Posts
So basically it's the same thing you could already order (paint too) for 2013 but with different wheels and some badges and number plate?

I like the idea to number the vehicle and make it special but you gotta give it something else! (Example: I had #452 of 1000 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4s, having that car limited edition meant you got a turbo and AWD along with all the other goodies so it was truly limited - someone could build this "limited edition" easy without the numbered badge).

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
So basically it's the same thing you could already order (paint too) for 2013 but with different wheels and some badges and number plate?
The Rebel Blue color has not been available (despite what you may have been told) to order in MY13 C30s.

For the time being, this is the only way to get one. Only 250 built.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I should have clarified....Rebel Blue is available if you do OSD for a MY13, otherwise I guess you are right, you could not do a custom order from dealer.

So it will be a super rare color, there will be more then 250 Rebel Blue C30s though (some customers have already taken delivery of their Rebel Blue stateside so they are on the road)

·
Administrator
55,929 Posts
new 17-inch Styx alloy wheels with matte black finish
17s seem like an odd size to offer on a stylish, enthusiast model. If these are super-light wheels then the choice makes sense, other wise a matte black set of R-Design 18s.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
A Paint job... :facepalm:It doesn't even deserve the Polestar name. Should have had at least 275 HP with a limited slip diff and have Polestar tune the suspension. :mad::facepalm::( And why offer 17 inch rims when the REGULAR one already has 17s and the R-Design comes with 18s? The reporter who stated that Volvo's marketing department needed to shoot themselves in the foot was absolutely correct.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I love Volvo, but I feel like the kid who gets a sweater on Christmas. My parents (VCUS) love me and think i will love the sweater (Polestar LE), and I feel I can't tell them I was expecting something with more horsepow... i mean something more fun. Don't feel bad VCUS, I am sure your hands are tied and you can't do better at the moment anyways. The 250 will be snatched up im sure, its definitely a looker.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Answer - K-Pax edition

So, this is a little known limited edition but is available now

Order a R-Design C30 and add the K-Pax GT Package which includes-

Software boost hp to 280, 330 ft lbs torque
19in BBS black rims
Catback exhaust
Special badges
Special brake pads and stainless steel braided lines
Performance springs
Large rear sway bar
Mirror covers
And a few other things
Matching factory warranty
Package price $9995

Then all you need is to get it in rebel blue.....

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
And this is EXACTLY why Volvo Cars US is failing: they couldn't see the point even if they ran into it head-on.

So Polestar comes out with an amazing 400 hp AWD 6MT C30 with an awesome suspension, wheels, and body kit . . . and the world loves it, and Top Gear raves about it. Why? Because of the paint job? Hell no. Because of the PERFORMANCE. The PERFORMANCE is the point.

And VCNA thinks it's satisfying performance enthusiasts by offering the paintjob, a mediocre tune, and nothing else!? And they think this is the way to sell cars? I've had Volvos all my life, and I bleed Volvo blue. But the folks at VCNA not only are clueless about their own brand, but they're clueless about how to go about getting people excited about -- and ultimately selling -- cars. Somebody, somewhere, needs to be fired for this atrocious fail. It's a slap in the face to every Volvo-loving enthusiast out there.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
As much as I like horsepower (started with a mule, then a 26hp VW, then...) I have full confidence in Volvo Cars Global that the performance enthusiast is/was considered during model-makeup decision-making.

Given Volvo's USA market share and projected sales I see no way to support a factory effort toward a limited edition performance vehicle legal in all theatres.

Starting about 1927, the Volvo USA sales demographics supported safe, reliable and durable cars as the desired product.

This has not changed.

A (relatively) small number of unhappy Volvo enthusiasts will not negatively influence the prospective Volvo buyer but a large number of prospective Volvo buyers may be turned off by a perception that Volvo sees high performance as a primary marketing tool.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Agreed....why continue to build true h.p. cars when the majority of Volvo owners/buyers are happy the line offers.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Agreed....why continue to build true h.p. cars when the majority of Volvo owners/buyers are happy the line offers.
I agree that the majority of Volvo buyers/owners are satisfied with what the line offers, however you shouldn't paint a Focus and call it a Mustang. This car started as a Polestar Phenomenon and has been dumbed down to a paint job, a universally available tune (for the C30) and a pair of rims (17's, WTH???) then addressed to 'Enthusiasts.'

Volvo's are excellent and are improving, however the side that appeals to the 'Volvo Enthusiasts' should truly be special, and in a sporty way to appeal to ALL enthusiasts not to xc70 3.2 drivers that are getting an oil change, turn their heads and say 'Hey, that looks sporty, yet is still sensible enough for my 17 year old, Melissa.' No, it should stand out like an M, an AMG, or a TRUE POLESTAR!

The paint isn't fooling me, its a Focus. And its time for VCNA TO focus.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
As much as I like horsepower (started with a mule, then a 26hp VW, then...) I have full confidence in Volvo Cars Global that the performance enthusiast is/was considered during model-makeup decision-making.

Given Volvo's USA market share and projected sales I see no way to support a factory effort toward a limited edition performance vehicle legal in all theatres.

Starting about 1927, the Volvo USA sales demographics supported safe, reliable and durable cars as the desired product.

This has not changed.

A (relatively) small number of unhappy Volvo enthusiasts will not negatively influence the prospective Volvo buyer but a large number of prospective Volvo buyers may be turned off by a perception that Volvo sees high performance as a primary marketing tool.

George Dill
What on earth are you talking about?! No purpose? Volvo has been trying to get YOUNGER customers into their showrooms for YEARS. Adding a true performance model that is (relatively) inexpensive is a fantastic way to do that. And honestly, is 275 HP too much to ask? Really? It's not rocket science to get more power out of a turbo charged engine and neither is it rocket science to work out how to make a limited slip diff and make the suspension a little more aggressive. There is a point. It's the same point that has brought Audi and BMW to the great heights that it's at. Volvo wants those same sales numbers, but doing this is NOT going to achieve it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would have to say the HP and torque are a little weak considering what Hyundai Sonata 2.0T/Kia Optima Turbo offer standard and then there is the K-Pax C30 GT. I don't the like the wheel color contrast with the blue paint.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I agree that the majority of Volvo buyers/owners are satisfied with what the line offers, however you shouldn't paint a Focus and call it a Mustang. This car started as a Polestar Phenomenon and has been dumbed down to a paint job, a universally available tune (for the C30) and a pair of rims (17's, WTH???) then addressed to 'Enthusiasts.'
And this is the core of the problem that generates this angry and negative posts. This car is not a "dumbed down paint job". This car is A limited offer, an enhancement over the current R-design.

There was never a promise (nor an insinuation) that we would be coming out with a hot rod version of the C30 or any other model, for that matter.

Even the color is not the Polestar blue. This car presents an opportunity of a limited run, where one can get this neat and unique color (Rebel Blue) with the R-design and have something that stands out. So, for about $1,000 more, one gets this unique-looking C30, one of only 250, that includes the Polestar software (a value that exceeds $1,100 by itself), a book signed by a TTA-Racing Elite League 2012 race car driver, uOnique exterior side Polestar stickers, unique wheels, etc.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I would have to say the HP and torque are a little weak considering what Hyundai Sonata 2.0T/Kia Optima Turbo offer standard and then there is the K-Pax C30 GT. I don't the like the wheel color contrast with the blue paint.
Drive one, first, please. I had a 6-speed C30 for over 7,000 miles...very, very few cars could stay with it. Comparing it with the two Koreans, it is not even fair for those two cars...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
And this is the core of the problem that generates this angry and negative posts. This car is not a "dumbed down paint job". This car is A limited offer, an enhancement over the current R-design.

There was never a promise (nor an insinuation) that we would be coming out with a hot rod version of the C30 or any other model, for that matter.

Even the color is not the Polestar blue. This car presents an opportunity of a limited run, where one can get this neat and unique color (Rebel Blue) with the R-design and have something unique. So, for about $1,000 more, one gets this unique-looking C30, one of only 250, that includes the Polestar software (a value that exceeds $1,100 by itself), a book signed by a TTA-Racing Elite League 2012 race car driver, unique exterior side Polestar stickers, unique wheels, etc.
Like I said before, it will probably sell well, however it is not what enthusiasts are waiting for therefore ethusiasts are probably disappointed as can be seen on this thread. I just hope VCNA DOES incinuate the production of true enthusiast cars before the enthusiasts take their money somewhere that DOES deliver. Heres to hoping there is something sportier in the pipeline.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts