SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm not buying one - but I wanted to see (pure curiosity, really) how good a deal Overseas Military Sales is offering on the 2013 C30's. You can only order it one way (T5 R-Design, Polestar 250HP). You have to take the Climate Package, the Premier Plus package, and a metallic color/flextech (MSRP of 34,090). They are offering it for $28,835 (+ tax) which is allegedly $3445 under *invoice*, plus no doc fees. How does that compare to what is out there at the US dealerships?

I can get a 420 HP correct-wheel-drive 2013 5.0 Mustang (track pack only option) for only a couple hundred more, so I know which direction I'm going - but $3500 under *invoice* seemed good enough to pass along.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
But do you get 5 years of free maintenance with a mustang?

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
If I were to get a mustang, I'd get either th boss 302 or a gt500 with rousche package

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C30 would run circles around the pony... minus drag runs.
LOL, not even CLOSE to true.

Clearly, you haven't been to a track lately (and I'm not talking drag strips). I know the limitations of Magazine "shoot outs", but I'll refer you to Car & Drivers "Lightning Lap" series done at VIR - where the even the new 305 HP 3.7 liter V6 Mustang ran a 3:12.5 lap around VIR (banging into the speed limiter), absolutely decimating the only C30 ever tested. Moreover, the 420 HP 5.0 Mustang (again, the same money for me to purchase as the Volvo - about $28K) about ran a 3:06.6, beating a base C6 Corvette and a Porsche Cayman S. Conversely, the underpowered and fail wheel drive Volvo ran a woeful 3:26.6 - the third slowest car EVER tested. Twenty seconds a lap, KSimp88.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...plete-lightning-lap-times-2006-to-2012-page-8

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's correct - it wasn't. Realistically, you might shave three to five second off that time wtih the increased HP and better suspension/brakes of the R-Design and Polestar tune. At best, the C30 would still be ten seconds behind (a full straightaway) the pedestrian V6 Mustang, let alone the 5.0.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The r design does not have better brakes and neither does the polestar. The kpax gt has pads from brembo

Also I've beaten v6 mustangs and camaros at auto x before in my little c30 with the crappy 08 comfort suspension. It's all driver dependent. Stop blaming the car and improve the driver lol

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Buddy of mine bought a boss about 2 months ago. First thing he had to fight was a noisy timing chain/tensioner and now he is fighting an intermittent misfire in the upper rpm range. (i'd probably buy a mustang too in your shoes, really hard to beat them for the $)

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I'd probably save a little more and get a 135i. Twin turbo and fr layout? Why not? Also it's an ugly shoe hahaha

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Finally, JN2K108 - you have made a valid point. Incidentally, this purchase will not be to race around cones in parking lots, or I'd buy a Miata (or an Arial Atom).

I drove a 135i w/ the M-Sport package (NOT to be confused with the 1-M), becuase I can get a deal on these also. Handling / steering feedback / responsiveness was sublime, but I prefer the way the new 5.0 makes torque from 1500 RPMs to the 7500 RPM redline vs the Turbo spool on the straight six.

Practicality (including MPG) is just barely in favor of the BMW, and of course - the fit and finsh on the BMW seems superior, but it should be for the $8K more it would cost me. Bottom line, I felt that most of that 8 grand premium was for electronic bells and whistles on the BMW (that are just going to break on me) that I don't have to spring for on the Stang. If I could do a "crank windows, manual doors, manual seats, no carpet, etc" stripped-down version of EITHER, it would probably influence me enough to purchase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts