SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought the Mototec DP from EuroSportTuning. Prompt service & good pricing.

Referred to this C30crew Elevate DP install thread for basic DP removal process, no need to repeat that here.

Package comes with everything you need to install, including pipe/gasket sealant. Cat is separate, so if you want to run a test pipe instead, it's easy enough to swap out the cat. No chance of a improper fit at the rear flange with this layout.

Kit includes studs to replace the stock DP flange bolts. I choose to reuse the stock hardware.

The rear O2 spacer comes with 3 choices of restrictor, I used the largest orifice on Franks' recommendation

I installed the rear sensor in the elbow, then fit the elbow to the rear pipe section. Leaving the locknut loose for final positioning. You will need a 26mm wrench for that.

I re-used the stock bolts & thick washers - I use a SK extended reach ratchet wrench, so easy enough to get good tension on the bolts. My feeling is that the thin washers & copper locknuts are too fiddly.

I installed the flange first, then tweak the flex section to allow the hangers to be properly positioned. The right hanger will need adjustment.

I had to cut off the lower stock stud & punch it out. I reused the stock upper stud. The provided hardware is oversize, (for 3" rear exhaust) and would require drilling out the flange to fit. I used a Volvo M10 bolt & flange locknut for the lower position. The supplied gasket is designed the allow the use of the 3" rear exhaust, so not wide coverage of the stock flange. For that reason I opted to apply the sealant.

Tweaking the alignment of the right hand hanger pin - easy enough with a pry bar.

Rear O2 needs to be tilted up from the horizontal plane or moisture will accumulate & shorten it's lifespan. There is room with the elbow sizing to allow the sensor to be tilted upward. I did need to push back the tunnel shield a touch, just to ensure the O2 & wiring are not chafing.

First impressions are favorable. Not leaks on startup, fitment of pipes & cat were simple enough & not difficult to install. I haven't driven it hard yet, however on part throttle & shifts I can definitely hear the exhaust note change & the blowoff is more noticeable, but not in a negative or intrusive way.

The only points I feel that would improve the fit & finish of the kit are:

1) lipped V-band flanges, to ensure centering & seal of the pipe/cat fitment

2) rear flange hardware appropriately sized for the stock rear exhaust, and perhaps an alternate rear gasket with a larger surface area.

Tune is next!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Note: The cut stud had nothing to do with the Mototec pipe alignment - that fits perfectly. I found the stock nut severely rusted, and instead of heating it to try & remove it, I cut the stud & punched out the spline base. My recommendation would be to do everything to remove the nut without removing the stock studs, it is easier to get new nuts :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have the Mototec non resonated catback. I have been thinking about getting a new tune and downpipe. How do you like it so far?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Resurrecting from the dead to share my install and impressions.

I, too, had a stud to grind off. I drilled it out, though, as the punch wasn't getting it done. Turns out after 9 years, it probably never would have come of nicely. Even deep in, there was solid rust in the threads. Had to take a number of passes at it over 4 evenings and made the decision to install the turbo end with the CAT pre-installed up front, where everything came apart nicely, while I took a break from the rework. Kind of a mistake, as the preload between the two ends after installing the exhaust made it a pain to get the clamp on, versus mounting it all as one piece. I also could not break loose the down stream O2 sensor, so "had" to buy a new one, which i did because Amazon Warehouse happened to have an OEM equivalent unit that someone apparently installed and discovered wasn't their problem. I put way more than the $15 <!> I spent into trying to remove the old one with 75k miles.

The value proposition: I installed the IC first and wasn't wowed. The DP didn't really seem to change things much. Maybe a tiny bit quicker to spool. Granted, I don't have stage 2, since I have P*, but would hope i would feel something. We'll see if it adjusts a bit over the next few days.The downpipe is a work of art: beautiful workmanship and gorgeous finish. After the first drive, though, the CAT turned purple, so it's not like it's a show piece. If it was the cheaper material like stock and saved $100, I'd be just as happy. As long as the walls are thick enough, when it comes time to replace the CAT, a shop could probably easily cut it out and weld in a new one, but maybe I'll appreciate the fact I can do a quick swap (assuming I can).

The upshot is for the price I'd probably do it again, since my stock CAT is pretty well used. Was it worth the hours of dealing with the rusted nut, taking care not to screw anything up? No, definitely not.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have a Shark tune and noticed a huge difference at Stage 1 after installing an intercooler. I then installed the Mototec DP and got a Stage 3 tune. I had no problems with the install (other than the usual rust associated with an old exhaust). Maybe the lack of improvement is simply a result of the tune not taking full advantage of the parts? Also, all stainless will change color with heat. It's the nature of the metal.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have a Shark tune and noticed a huge difference at Stage 1 after installing an intercooler. I then installed the Mototec DP and got a Stage 3 tune. I had no problems with the install (other than the usual rust associated with an old exhaust). Maybe the lack of improvement is simply a result of the tune not taking full advantage of the parts? Also, all stainless will change color with heat. It's the nature of the metal.
You didn't try the dp with stage 1? I would have, just to know stage 3 did something.

Of course stainless changes color. I'm just saying the value isn't there. It will last long enough in galvanized and it's not like you'd put a mirror underneath the car at a show, because it doesn't look that fantastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts