SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I was investigating a rattle coming from my car on startup, I found the air inlet duct was the culprit. However it would seem to have lost itself a bolt?
(My reasoning on the rattle tracking down was I opened the hood, started up the car, and looked. During this the inlet duct was shaking and on holding it the rattle stopped, plus the apparent lack of bolt+the reseating I did)

Part in question is this~ http://www.tascaparts.com/volvo/c30...ine-cat/air-intake-scat/?part_name=inlet-duct

Compared to mine @ http://imgur.com/a/K5QVi

I unbolted it on the left side, and reset. Jiggle and align, rebolted, for now ignoring the missing one on the right. And it seems to have lowered the amount but, still rattles.
I've heard the S40 uses a one piece part now, vs the two piece I'm looking at. And the tube connected seems..chipped? Did my car also reject a connection between that tube and the rattling inlet?
Looking through what I could find. I can't find a list of bolts used. So, if I am like I suspect, what bolts do I use to replace and stop this rattle?

As always. Thanks y'all <3

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
How's Utah snow treating you? I do miss the powder...

Even on the S40s, it's a 2 part funnel piece. Is the plastic chipped where the bolt would go, or is just the bolt that's missing?

It won't kill your car to drive without that intake funnel for a few days, especially if your temps are already below freezing. I would remove it, take the bolt to the hardware store and you'll find one that matches. It's going to be metric. Both bolts are the same threading.

If the little tube that runs between that funnel and the 90° elbow that turns into the airbox is cracked or broken, you can just replace this with a straight silicone hose. Might be a little more snug, but it'll probably be more durable.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Looking at your pictures again, that accordion hose looks to be fine, it always sits a little loose, but so long as it makes contact with both pieces.

Looks like you just need the bolt, so off to Home Depot you go! (or Lowes, I've found their selection of metric bolts to be a bit better)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How's Utah snow treating you? I do miss the powder...

Even on the S40s, it's a 2 part funnel piece. Is the plastic chipped where the bolt would go, or is just the bolt that's missing?

It won't kill your car to drive without that intake funnel for a few days, especially if your temps are already below freezing. I would remove it, take the bolt to the hardware store and you'll find one that matches. It's going to be metric. Both bolts are the same threading.

If the little tube that runs between that funnel and the 90° elbow that turns into the airbox is cracked or broken, you can just replace this with a straight silicone hose. Might be a little more snug, but it'll probably be more durable.
Yup! Same assembly. And snow has been surprisingly light. First season after I arrived was a blizzard. But last year and this year have been in a drought. So not bad. We run Blizzack WS70s on our cars and they've been working pretty well. The amount of Subarus out here is mind boggling thought. (I like them, just, holy cow a lot of them, enough so mom is looking at an Impreza and I converted her to Hatchbacks)

And, back on the assembly, yeah. It's definitely below freezing (16 in the morning right now, 30 high for today). The bolt threading looks fine, just seems to have shaken itself loose and lost the bolt in the process. Curiously, since retightening the remaining bolt, a certain groan on acceleration from a stop has vanished. Sounded like straight cut gears but going forward. I suspect it was the air intake duct leaning on the frame.

Thanks for the input. :) There's an ace hardware within a mile from my house that I'll check out, if not there's a Lowes not too far either.

Any tips on removing the darn thing? I was able to separate the hose and duct but the duct seems clipped in somehow further in. Just flathead and pop the clip? If anything I've been wanting to replace the houses with nice blue silicone ones anyway! Guess I'll have some research done now for later. :) Grats on the C30 by the way, you've done a ton of work to it. Reliable little crazy cars.

As always, Thanks dude. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
That lower 90° elbow piece just pops out. It takes a lot of force though. If you look at my picture above, that lip sits flush with the intake box. So that's a good 1" of plastic that slides into the intake box. A flat head screw driver and some prying may make it a bit easier.

Glad you're still enjoying you C30! I'm still loving mine, even if she does cause trouble on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I nudged it some when I was investigating the rattle and it seemed pretty stubborn. But seen the connector elseware in other hobbies and a flathead helps usually. Will be careful though.

And weekly basis? :p Or just tweaking?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
The best I can say, is that this car is PMSing once a month.

I'm always tweaking/changing things. But sometimes she just gets cranky.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can agree with some of that. Mine hasn't been taking too well to the cold this year. He's 42K miles this month, and I think it's around the time to do some suspension and air intake upgrades to IPD/other parts. Been researching and finding out that some of the suspension parts wear down around 50K on this. Bits of rattles and ran into some bad fuel I think too, was down on power last week. He'll be better and less cranky hopefully.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'd rather not doublepost but, Status update/Finished.

I feel like an engineer or assembler gave up on that piece. I got two new bolts+washers from local ace hardware, looks darn near exact. Even testing the old bolt left over in the right side hole failed. There's a hole but it's either very tough to align or not drilled through enough. Maybe if it was a shorter bolt? I can't get behind enough to see if it deadstops early.

Nonetheless, I redid the left side, used one of the new bolts+washers and retightened everything down. For now the rattle on cold startup is fixed, though the weird straightcut (IE: Reverse gear) noise going forward from a stop is still there.

I'm gonna consider this fixed for now, swamped in finals papers for now and will add to the list of things for my local mechanic to look into at next maintenance (42K atm, 45K is scheduled iirc)

Sorry if this comes off as convoluted, running on an hour of sleep today. Yay ADD and staying up till 5AM, with alarm at 6AM for a 7:30 class. (Allows me to get ready+extra for traffic and accidental distractions)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts