SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do, do I need; to make my car handle better.

I already have stiffer springs, strut and rear sway bars. The problem is the car feels a little bit bouncy and when I am coming out of a turn at high speed. The car rebounds and doesn't feel seated when adjusting back to a straight trajectory.

I want the car to feel solid and planted through turns and ultimately safe.

I'm thinking it's my shocks? if so what would the best (moderate budget mined choice be)

I want the communities wisdom to weigh in, this is a daily driver that I plan to own for a long time

2011 C30 with polestar upgrade
strut bar
elevate rear sway
Volvo sport springs (upgrade)
elevate engine mount.
Nordic oak interior panels
Volvo c30 door sill decals
front valance fog light décor kit
30% tint

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
what wheels and tires have you got?, i peronally think 18's will with low profile tires will help things feel less vague. Big/soft sidewalls make everything feel loose and mushy.
i hear what you are saying... midcorner bumps are not forgiving on this chassis-- but its not too bad.
but i think the next step might be better shocks. not the stiffest shocks but something reasonably firm with a bit a travel still might help you feel more stable-- stiffer springs definitely make it bouncy which isnt confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have standard tires, without going outside I believe they are 16" can't recall the details.

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
You say P* upgrade. Do you mean you have a Rebel Blue PLE, or just a regular C30 that you had tuned?
Most C30s had 17" wheels, R-designs had 18"
Tires matter greatly, as pointed out above.

Do you have a standard T5 or an R-design? The R-design will already have a slightly stiffer suspension and firmer steering rack. If you have a standard T5, look into upgrading the lower control arms or check out the White Line Anti-lift kit of improved steering wheel.

You have upgraded the rear sway bar, so that's a good start. But your concern isn't so much about the feel, as it is about you wanting to stiffen things up; you'll have to upgrade shocks and struts. Lowering only really helps by lowering your center of gravity an reducing the amount of roll your car will have in the corners, but shocks/struts are what help keep your wheels planted and where you're getting that "bouncy" effect. The Volvo lowering springs barely lower the car at all, Volvo even says they're not worth it if you're coming from an R-design. I would recommend Konis for upgraded shocks/struts.
But you have to pay to play... Good shocks/struts and lowering springs are only going to put you a few $$$ shy from coilovers. So in that case, it's worth getting a fully adjustable system that you can dial in exactly the way you want it.

The H&R coilovers that I have do not allow me to adjust dampening, but even still, this is set up as the best handling car that I have ever driven (and I've driven a lot of different things).
When we're at the tail of the dragon, there Porsches and crotch rockets getting out of our way. But honestly... Having a well balance FWD car will almost always beat a reluctantly cautious RWD on the mountain passes.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Try getting a pair of koni yellows for the rears with 700 lb-in springs. You'll appreciate the handling a lot better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Mine didn't feel planted when my front right shock was dead. Replaced with Konis and lowering springs. Now it handles like a cheetah!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like you need softer springs, not bigger wheels. Bigger wheels will have the opposite effect

Stiff springs reduce roll but don't necessarily improve handling. Same goes for thick anti-roll bar. Everything is a tradeoff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What can I do, do I need; to make my car handle better.

I already have stiffer springs, strut and rear sway bars. The problem is the car feels a little bit bouncy and when I am coming out of a turn at high speed. The car rebounds and doesn't feel seated when adjusting back to a straight trajectory.

I want the car to feel solid and planted through turns and ultimately safe.

I'm thinking it's my shocks? if so what would the best (moderate budget mined choice be)

I want the communities wisdom to weigh in, this is a daily driver that I plan to own for a long time

2011 C30 with polestar upgrade
strut bar
elevate rear sway
Volvo sport springs (upgrade)
elevate engine mount.
Nordic oak interior panels
Volvo c30 door sill decals
front valance fog light décor kit
30% tint
Check with iPd performance parts in Oregon. Chris there can diagnose over phone and 'steer' you right (or correct).

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Holy thread revival! I have been amazed how well my Volvos would still handle with bad struts. It is one of those things that sneaks up on you and over time you don't notice it happening. Then you get this feeling that the car feels a little sloppy and you go and replace the shocks and struts, finding that the old ones were completely shot, and the car handles like a dream.

That said, this past weekend I replaced my strut bearings and mounts and found that the Bilstein HDs are still in great condition after 80K miles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's pretty easy to tell if the front struts are marginal. If the ABS activates when braking (progressively) hard on a rough road. then the tyres are leaving the road and the struts need replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts