SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my girlfriend has a 2009 volvo c30 2.4L with about 80k km

Her shocks were smacking really hard on small/medium bumps. Looked under, there was oil all over them and one of the links were loose.

I ordered her replacement struts (KYB Excel-G) and Moog Links, as well as KYB upper mount/bearings

Just did the install, the car is still un driveable. Hitting small/medium bumps the car hits really hard. Feels like there aren't any shocks on it

When installing the new shocks, I noticed the Bump Stops were completely finished, both sides, broken...I didn't have new ones with me, so I put back the old ones.

Are the springs finished? Is the car bottoming out??

I really need help, never had this issue on my 850

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
New bumps stops are needed. Springs may be worn out too. You need to check ride height and compare it to stock C30 height.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Double check that the bolts on the top of the strut are full secure.
Are you sure the end links are fully tightened? Those can clunk the whole front end when bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New bumps stops are needed. Springs may be worn out too. You need to check ride height and compare it to stock C30 height.
Do you happen to know the stock ride height? Where's a good place to measure from?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Double check that the bolts on the top of the strut are full secure.
Are you sure the end links are fully tightened? Those can clunk the whole front end when bad.
I'm pretty sure they're tight, same with the links. The noise isn't just a knocking sound, the entire car smashes...it feels like it's hitting the bump stops, or like the shocks are almost seized. It's crazy how hard it is hitting. I can't drive the car at all...

I took out the wheel and put a jack under the balljoint knuckle. The strut does compress, it goes up...idk what else it could be. I was thinking springs too, though the car doesn't look like it's sagging.

Anyone use KYB Excel-G struts with these cars?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Do you happen to know the stock ride height? Where's a good place to measure from?
Post a pic and I can tell you. Stock ride height is pretty stupid high though.

Anyone use KYB Excel-G struts with these cars?
I can't think of anyone who has... Most people go with Volvo, Koni, H&R, or coilovers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks stock, no spring collapsing there.
That's what I figured. Idk what else to check, it's such a simple system...shock + spring lol
Are stock shocks very stiff? Maybe these are too soft and resulting in the wheel to hit the stopper up top?
Or they're WAY too stiff, as it feels like they're solid metal rods

I feel like the issue is happening more on one side (driver), but I could be wrong...could it be a defective strut?
I'm running out of options :(

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
What are the characteristics of those struts? I know Koni sells a set that will stiffen over time, the first bump is always shocking but then they soften up. Great on the track, smooth roads mean they stay pretty stiff. Terrible on pothole ridden streets.

That's a V1 C30, so it had the softest suspension Volvo had to offer in the P1s. But I have never heard of a stock suspension bottoming out unless the springs snapped.

Could be a defective strut, or it may also require some miles before they're fully broken in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are the characteristics of those struts? I know Koni sells a set that will stiffen over time, the first bump is always shocking but then they soften up. Great on the track, smooth roads mean they stay pretty stiff. Terrible on pothole ridden streets.

That's a V1 C30, so it had the softest suspension Volvo had to offer in the P1s. But I have never heard of a stock suspension bottoming out unless the springs snapped.

Could be a defective strut, or it may also require some miles before they're fully broken in.
Apparently these are OE replacement shocks for lots of cars. Honda/Mazda use these all the time. They are supposed to be "daily driver" struts.
They aren't driveable for a few miles, I'm scared I'll damage the rest of the car driving it.

I could take them out and re-check all the parts are aligned and tight
Else she's going to the garage...really disapointed, was supposed to be an easy install lol

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Apparently these are OE replacement shocks for lots of cars. Honda/Mazda use these all the time. They are supposed to be "daily driver" struts.
They aren't driveable for a few miles, I'm scared I'll damage the rest of the car driving it.

I could take them out and re-check all the parts are aligned and tight
Else she's going to the garage...really disapointed, was supposed to be an easy install lol
Where are you located? I wouldn't mind coming to help out if you're local.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
That's really generous of you, and it's much appreciated, but I live in Montreal, Canada
Little far from you I believe lol

Thanks though!
Yeah... Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
You still need new bump stops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts