SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That last date to custom order a C30 is Oct 24th...so if you are considering a Rebel Blue C30 Polestar, ;) NOW is the time to get your order moving.
Production will end in december...but keep in mind that Volvo will hold your custom order for 6 months...which means that you could travel as late as april 2013.

This has been a public service announcement from your Forum Sponsor :D Remember to buckle up! Volvo For Life

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Totally ending? Not stopping for retooling to totally new design for 2014?

·
Registered
701 Posts
C30 was an exciting design, that while it did have a few drawbacks, was intriguing to young drivers. My son wanted a C30 to be his first car in a couple years (it still might be). The V40 / V40 XC is also in this category. Let's hope that this is a sign that the V40 is coming to the States, hopefully with a manual transmission option. :)

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The V40 / V40 XC is also in this category. Let's hope that this is a sign that the V40 is coming to the States, hopefully with a manual transmission option. :)
Don't count on it. As wonderful as this car is, it was not designed for this market and it would take tens of millions to bring it up to snuff, crash test-wise, to pass here. However, that is in its current form.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dang. Does Mazda and Ford about it?
Somehow they sell Mazda 3 and Focus, the cousins of V40. Not to mention C30,S40 and V50 from Volvo that were sold recently.

I suspect you are trying to rationalize Volvo decision to stop selling cars in the USA. Crossovers and SUV are here to stay.
There used to be such company before. It is called Isusu.

Krzys

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Does anyone know the tentative plans to replace the C30 and C70???......What models are being redesigned and what new models are going to be introduced???

·
3,391 Posts
I know this is a bit of a bump of an old thread, but I think that this is yet another sign that Volvo intends to pull out of the North American market sooner than later. They are setting up less and less cars for the US which was once Volvo's largest market. It's hard to believe that Volvo would be selling a car in Europe that won't meet US federal crash test standards -- especially having passed through euro NCAP, and volvos reputation for safe vehicles.

Pretty soon, they'll only be selling 2 or 3 models here. That's not going to help them gain any market share. :/

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I saw a C30 D3 with an OSD-(S) sticker in the window and the red license plates -- in Rouen France May 2013. What's up with that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know this is a bit of a bump of an old thread, but I think that this is yet another sign that Volvo intends to pull out of the North American market sooner than later. They are setting up less and less cars for the US which was once Volvo's largest market. It's hard to believe that Volvo would be selling a car in Europe that won't meet US federal crash test standards -- especially having passed through euro NCAP, and volvos reputation for safe vehicles.

Pretty soon, they'll only be selling 2 or 3 models here. That's not going to help them gain any market share. :/
Whenever a car company says a car can't be sold in the US because it "doesn't meet standards" but is sold in Europe/Japan/Australia, they're basically just being lazy.

They usually make it sound dramatic by saying it would have to be "re-engineered" at great cost to be sold in the US, but all that really means is usually REALLY minor changes to bumpers and lights, and putting it through emissions/crash certification (which I will admit is the expensive part).

Bottom line, they just being lazy/cheap when they say this. It can be done.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whenever a car company says a car can't be sold in the US because it "doesn't meet standards" but is sold in Europe/Japan/Australia, they're basically just being lazy.

They usually make it sound dramatic by saying it would have to be "re-engineered" at great cost to be sold in the US, but all that really means is usually REALLY minor changes to bumpers and lights, and putting it through emissions/crash certification (which I will admit is the expensive part).

It has NOTHING to do with being lazy or cheap. It has everything to do with profitability. Volvo was not showing a profit on the C30 in the US, so they chose
to cut their losses and redirect $$ into the 2014 redesign and the 2015 V60 and after that the XC90 redesign....... far from being lazy/cheap

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

What they're saying is that the cost to certify is too high. Even if they don't have to change anything (unlikely, just look at headlamp rules UK vs mainland Europe) they still have costs.

Heck, California requires CAT converters certified for their state; that's a change...

Then there is training/specialized tools/parts inventories to support those models or engine combinations.

Those costs have to be spread out over the sale population. At some sales levels, that reduces profit to near zero (or even negative).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts