SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put an LSD in my C30 T5 and it makes sense to do the clutch at the same time. I also plan to do a few bolt-on performance mods in the future (eg intercooler, downpipe) so I wan to get a clutch that is rated for at least a bit of extra power.
Although I like how the stock clutch is quite light, and therefore great for use in traffic, I really don't like the overall feel of it. It feels too 'precise', e.g. it's very easy to stuff up a change from 1st to 2nd if you don't get the clutch 100% right, and doing a quick launch from standstill is almost impossible.
So ideally I want a clutch that has more feel and is nicer/easier to use, but is still fairly light, as I do regularly drive in traffic.

Two options that seem popular are the Dreamscience Focus RS kit, or the Viva S60R kit. However I haven't driven a car with either of these so I'm not sure to expect.
With the flywheel, I'm also not sure whether a SMF or DMF would be better - apart from being reusable next time the clutch needs replacing, are there any benefits to having a SMF?

Any suggestions/opinions would be great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SMF is definitely less of a hassle in my opinion. With a DMF I was monitoring for wear constantly and didn’t notice any real difference in vibrations when I opted for an SMF. My SMF setup was a no spring clutch system.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Some of the response issue you are having may be related to the slave cylinder design to reduce stress on the transmission. From the transmission description:

If the clutch pedal returns too quickly, the drive
train could be damaged by the high torque.
There is a shock load limiter in the clutch to
avoid this. The shock load limiter chokes the
flow between the concentric slave cylinder
(CSC) and the master cylinder if there is a
danger of the excessive torque. The shock load
limiter is in the concentric slave cylinder.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the response issue you are having may be related to the slave cylinder design to reduce stress on the transmission.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Maybe it has some effect but probably not so much in "normal" driving etc.

SMF is definitely less of a hassle in my opinion. With a DMF I was monitoring for wear constantly and didn’t notice any real difference in vibrations when I opted for an SMF. My SMF setup was a no spring clutch system.
What do you mean by monitoring for wear? I wouldn't imagine the flywheel would wear any quicker than the clutch itself, in which case it would be a non-issue right?
Out of the two options I listed, the Focus RS kit uses a DMF and I believe the S60R kit uses a SMF. The pricing is pretty similar so that's not really a factor either.
Therefore I think my main concern is the pedal feel, regardless of whether it's SMF or DMF.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
With DMF there is nothing to monitor, it's self-adjusting over the life of the clutch & can easily hold 350 AWHP if you get the S60R setup.

Problem with SMF is you are inducing serious gear rattle - you car will sound like a diesel at idle.

You can also get the Ford RS LUK clutch kit from England for less than the cost of a complete setup in the US, even with shipping.

The shock load limiter screws with rapid shifts & is not great for higher-torque setups. It's not hard to remove from the 'Air Vent Pipe" which is where it's located

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts