SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rock punched a 2-inch hole in the exterior plastic of my passenger-side headlight. Bulbs all working fine and no other visible damage.

Dealership says I need the whole headlight assembly replaced. Part is $750 + one hour of labor. Seems f*%@ing insane to spend $1000+ for a small hole in the exterior plastic.

I can find the part for ~$250 from multiple online parts retailers. But I can barely change my windshield wipers, so not going to attempt a DIY replacement here.

Do body shops ever let you BYO part? Are there other avenues for getting this tiny little hole fixed without putting a $1000 hole in my wallet?

Thank you!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes...smaller shops may let you BYO....not all will. They won’t warranty or guarantee much of anything....but may let you supply parts. Or even Check with a local body shop to see if they can source a used assembly for you and install for less than the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Let's start with your year and model. It's the 2016 V60, right?

The headlamp assembly is designed for the owner to easily remove/install to get at the light bulbs. See page 339 of your Owner's Manual:

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2016/2016-Volvo-V60-Owners-Manual-v1.pdf

Your car came with the Active Bending Light (ABL) feature , which makes the headlamp assy. very expensive. The quote you got is reasonable for the Volvo replacement part.
If they're planning an aftermarket replacement, they're marking it up 100%, and it might not be satisfactory.

Seems you have 2 decisions. Do you want a headlamp that exactly matches the other side in its appearance and night-driving light-field? You won't get that if you settle for an aftermarket unit. You will if you buy a genuine Volvo replacement part.

Second, after studying the Owner's Manual, decide if you are capable to remove the broken headlamp assy. It's pretty easy! Try it! If so, you can save some money and buy a genuine Volvo replacement. When it comes, you'll just have to move the bulbs over into the new unit. It's all covered in the Owners Manual. This was stuff Volvo designed (finally) to be easy for the OWNER TO DO. If you can replace wipers, you replace a busted ABL headlamp!

(One remaining issue is whether there is calibration/adjustment needed after the install -- suggest calling the Volvo dealer and ask.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two subsequent questions on this issue:

1) Are there any sources of aftermarket Volvo parts that are more reliably OEM-quality?

2) Thoughts on used parts via ebay/other sources?

I have a body shop I trust that's willing to install a part that I bring. I'd like to save (several) hundred dollars if I can. I don't have active light bending lights. Just the standard halogen ones. But I don't want to end up with two mismatching headlights. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
I would just use an OEM headlight assembly - get the part number and shop around to see what you can find. I don't know that any aftermarket suppliers are making these yet and if they were I'd be concerned about quality.

Buying used parts on ebay is a bit of a crapshoot. For used parts you may be better off going with a recycler specializing in Volvo's like Standberg or Erie.

Yes and if you can replace wiper blades you can replace the headlights on these cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Of those options I'd get the Valeo one from Eeuroparts. They are an OEM manufacturer for Volvo so I'd trust them more that the no name ones from carid. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On my 2005 Volvo S60, the "headlight cap" which is shown in the Steingold photo appears to be glued on, rather than screwed on. However, the design may have changed. You would have to remove the headlight assembly from the car, remove any rubber gasket at the seam, and attempt to remove the separate "headlight cap" from your headlight assembly to answer your question. If it is held on with glue, disassembly will be difficult.

·
Registered
803 Posts
That’s the cover at the back, unfortunately...

The Valeo and other ~$300 units are halogen not xenon

as indicated above there really shouldn’t be any need for anyone to pay for labor for this - the front assembly really is a case of remove the two “pegs” that lock it in place, sliding it out, sliding the new one into place and pushing the pegs back in... no tools required unless you do need to swap bulbs... really is spectacularly easy...

Erievovo have a left hand side xenon assembly “like new” in stock for $625... no right hand at the moment but watch their site... i have bought a bunch of things from them and always find them fast and reliable with goods as described... I bought a pair of rear lamp assemblies came with all bulbs already in place...

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
There appear to be many aftermarket options that look identical. Here's one example that shows a couple:
https://www.carid.com/2016-volvo-s60-headlights/

eEuroparts says that this Valeo part is OEM

And eEuroparts also has a "genuine Volvo" part for about $300 less than what the dealership/body shops have quoted me.

How the heck do I make sense of all of these that appear identical but vary so widely in price?
eEuroparts is asking for your VIN, which is your best bet for an exact match. Their price is what you would expect to pay for genuine Volvo replacement.

You can easily remove the broken unit (explained in Owner's Manual, see my comment above for link). You would then transfer all the bulbs into the new unit.
Installing is very easy-- an owner procedure. It will exactly match your drivers side headlamp. That would be the way to go IMHO. You're avoiding a shop's markup, and unnecessary labor, while getting the best quality.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If the replacement part you mention is just the clear housing lens (i.e. the large curved plastic facing the outside), replacing the OE one means separating the existing lens from the rest of the housing, and then re-sealing with the new one. That's not a simple operation, and body shops will likely not want to do it. Headlight retrofitters have the right skill set for that.

Considering that, I agree with others that the best bet is to get a full headlight housing replacement. Whichever headlight you get, make sure it is for the correct region. For the US, it will be for Right Hand Traffic (RHT) aka Left Hand Drive (LHD) per the DOT beam pattern. For most of Europe, it will also RHT aka LHD per the ECE beam pattern. UK is different, and other parts of the world may be different or follow any one of those.

I wouldn't pick an aftermarket that claims to have HID or LED; in general, a lot of aftermarket housings aren't necessarily equipped with good low beam pattern.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thankfully I just have halogen lights (not xenon). I've not seen a single part that mentions right-hand drive/traffic vs. left-hand drive/traffic, including on the Volvo site, and considering I don't have the active-bending lights, I don't see why it makes any difference...they're lights that point straight ahead of the car, no matter who's driving on which side of the car/road.

Am I also reading correctly that this part does not also come with the bulbs (3?) included? So 1) I can't buy just a new exterior cover — have to buy the whole damn assembly, but 2) that whole damn assembly doesn't actually include the whole damn thing —*gotta shell out another $100 (or maybe more?) for the actual bulbs?

What if I order both the Genuine Volvo part and the Valeo part and compare them when I receive them? Will I be able to recognize any quality/fitment difference before installing the light? Or will that not be apparent until it's fully installed?

·
Registered
803 Posts
The dip beam cutoff is different for LHD/RHD... you’ve not seen it mentioned since it’s not going to be a factor in North America... if you did need a RHD part you’d have to special order it...

No need to buy new bulbs if you buy new... just pull the bulbs from the broken one... that said, if you spend more than $30-40 on two halogen headlight bulbs and a turn signal bulb you’re shopping in the wrong place

ErieVovo do have one passenger side halogen assembly in stock at $275, notes state one mounting tab broken, shouldn’t be a big deal... will likely come with all the bulbs in it since it costs them more in labor to remove them than they could sell used bulbs for.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Thankfully I just have halogen lights (not xenon). I've not seen a single part that mentions right-hand drive/traffic vs. left-hand drive/traffic, including on the Volvo site, and considering I don't have the active-bending lights, I don't see why it makes any difference...they're lights that point straight ahead of the car, no matter who's driving on which side of the car/road.

Am I also reading correctly that this part does not also come with the bulbs (3?) included? So 1) I can't buy just a new exterior cover — have to buy the whole damn assembly, but 2) that whole damn assembly doesn't actually include the whole damn thing —*gotta shell out another $100 (or maybe more?) for the actual bulbs?

What if I order both the Genuine Volvo part and the Valeo part and compare them when I receive them? Will I be able to recognize any quality/fitment difference before installing the light? Or will that not be apparent until it's fully installed?
I would just order the Valeo unit and if it looks significantly different (I doubt it will) than the one you have then get the OEM one. Swap the bulbs over and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've not seen a single part that mentions right-hand drive/traffic vs. left-hand drive/traffic, including on the Volvo site, and considering I don't have the active-bending lights, I don't see why it makes any difference...they're lights that point straight ahead of the car, no matter who's driving on which side of the car/road.
The dip beam cutoff is different for LHD/RHD... you’ve not seen it mentioned since it’s not going to be a factor in North America... if you did need a RHD part you’d have to special order it...
Indeed. Low beams are traffic-side specific, and as I don't see a location in OP's signature, I'm not sure if the locale needs RHT or LHT, as well as whether it should be a US DOT compliant pattern (which should only be RHT) or ECE compliant pattern (which could be RHT for continental Europe and LHT for UK), or something else (as this is an international forum).

Here's the image cast by a single HID projector low beam, for US DOT RHT. Note the elbow that transitions from a lower beam on the left (to avoid blinding oncoming traffic on the left) to a higher one on the right (as those will illuminate lanes ahead of you and to your right, all of which travel in the same direction).

If you have 2 of them, and suppose they're aimed too low, they may look like this:

In contrast, here is an ECE pattern for LHT (in the UK) from a rental I drove (Ford Kuga, the equivalent of the US Ford Escape). The right side unit casts its image right on a van ahead, with the elbow of the light transitioning from lower on the right to higher on the left.

Either way, using the wrong type wouldn't make the low beams work well for your driving.

You'd also want to check the beam pattern to make sure it is correct.

Since Valeo is one of the global OE suppliers, if those are indeed made by Valeo, I imagine the fitment shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indeed. Low beams are traffic-side specific, and as I don't see a location in OP's signature, I'm not sure if the locale needs RHT or LHT, as well as whether it should be a US DOT compliant pattern (which should only be RHT) or ECE compliant pattern (which could be RHT for continental Europe and LHT for UK), or something else (as this is an international forum).

Here's the image cast by a single HID projector low beam, for US DOT RHT. Note the elbow that transitions from a lower beam on the left (to avoid blinding oncoming traffic on the left) to a higher one on the right (as those will illuminate lanes ahead of you and to your right, all of which travel in the same direction).

If you have 2 of them, and suppose they're aimed too low, they may look like this:

In contrast, here is an ECE pattern for LHT (in the UK) from a rental I drove (Ford Kuga, the equivalent of the US Ford Escape). The right side unit casts its image right on a van ahead, with the elbow of the light transitioning from lower on the right to higher on the left.

Either way, using the wrong type wouldn't make the low beams work well for your driving.

You'd also want to check the beam pattern to make sure it is correct.

Since Valeo is one of the global OE suppliers, if those are indeed made by Valeo, I imagine the fitment shouldn't be an issue.

But does any of this apply to plain old halogen lights? It may, but your examples mentioned HID projector beams, and others have mentioned active-light-bending...and I have neither of those.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes... beam pattern applies to all headlight types... dip beam headlights are aimed lower on one side so they do not dazzle oncoming drivers on the other side of the road, that said, assuming you are in North America and you’re buying from a North American supplier it’s not something you need to be concerned about since they will only be stocking LHD parts

·
Registered
801 Posts
One thing to consider is that the headlight lense on the side not broken will have the normal rock pits and chips from 5 years of use. A new replacement lense compared to the non broken lense will be quite obvious to anyone looking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts