SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking my R to my dealership to get my mods installed, I returned with a lot less money in my wallet. I have come to learn that with all of my learning experiences, ignorance is displayed and cash is spent.<p>I'm hesitant to ask the group, now that it is done, but on behalf of others' financial interest, what would one expect to do the following, in labor hours:<p>Springs<br>Sway bars (f&r)<br>Chip<br>downpipe (twice, as the first one did not fit)<br>exhaust<br>backing plates<br>radiator hoses<br>upper engine mount<br>brake lines<br>bluetooth<p>Do I honor the concept of the "we followed the book" for the hours charged? If you do the math it comes to around 30 hrs at the dealership. It may not neccesarily have been done in most expeditious order, perhaps.<p>I have a great relationship with the general manager, who is a great guy, and will approach him if the hours are way off.<p>Thanks in advance,<p>JR

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: By the book.. (jroux)

The whole suspension and brake thing can be combined. For the rear sway to be installed the exhaust needs to be out of the way and one shock needs to be loosened anyway so while the exhaust is out and the shocks the swaybar is a breeze..<p>Same goes more or less for the front. With the downpipe out of the way the front swaybar install will be easier.<p>Except for the bluetooth all can be done within one working day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (R_Rated)

clarification: all of the work has been completed and all of the items listed are installed.<p>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Who made a downpipe that didn't "fit"?<br>Never heard of any problems there

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

Well, if you paid for 30 hours of labor @110.00USD and hour. That would be over 3,000 USD for just labor. I think that is way too high. Like another said "the work could be done in a day" Except the Bluetooth. A days work for a Volvo tech usually consists of 8-10 hours. I would say you were overcharged at least 10 hours if not 15. BUT if the work is done right and you are happy, that's all that counts. Just my 2c's. Rick

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Well, some dont.<br>it gets expensive when you remove the stocker, put on the evolve one, oh poop, it doesnt fit. put back on the stock one, wait a week for another evolve one then do it all over again<br>

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: (garbergtsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>garbergtsi</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, some dont.<br>it gets expensive when you remove the stocker, put on the evolve one, oh poop, it doesnt fit. put back on the stock one, wait a week for another evolve one then do it all over again<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>evolve will pay for the extra labor if done by a dealer I think. Mine was 230 bucks to install. 460 would be expensive!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (R_Rated)

The invoice that the dealership gave me for the Evolve reimbursement was exactly $460.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: By the book.. (Sue Esponte)

I prefered the velevet hammer approach of Mash's response...<p>Thanks all,<p>JR

·
Registered
604 Posts

In order to determine if you paid too much...why don't you provide the amounts that you were billed for the items listed? It seems that one would be able to make a better comparison that way.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: By the book.. (doubleb26)

Moral of story:<p>Get the price BEFORE they do the work..Okay, they could have added the re-fit of the downpipe but otherwise you would have had no surprises...<p>Saying "Go ahead and just tell me what it is gonna cost later" is a VERY dangerous way to live!<br>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts