SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two and a half weeks I've been trying to get the (borg warner)transmission out and replaced with an M40. Now I need the car for the weekend and the torque converter is the only thing still resisting my removal efforts.
Specifically the four bolts coming from the front through the adapter plate into the converter.
The Haynes manual which I use for most repairs just says "undo the four bolts and remove the converter." but there's got to be more to it than that because that's impossible.
I'm using a 9/16 crowfoot attached to a 16 inch breaker bar but there's no way to apply torque without it spinning.
I tried re-attaching the transmission and putting it in gear, but it still spun just as easily.
Ideally I'd like to get it out in once piece so i can sell it but if y'all tell me where to make cuts and say that's my best option I'll do it.

Any advice or any experience at all is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The factory service manual talks about removing the torque converter and transmission as a unit.

Transmision removal20201015.jpg

In point #5 I suspect camshaft is a mis print and means crankshaft. Hope the additional details help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this.
I ended up putting my breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley and putting the handle under the battery shelf.
I left it there to torque down the new bolts and it worked just as well.
Many thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts