SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently installed the IPD poly upper engine mount on my MT 2005 V70R with and two things are confirmed. 1) The shifting is nice and tight. Really digging on the shifting action. 2) I feel every damn ripple of engine movement. It isn't horrible and my somewhat unobservant wife doesn't notice it but it actually makes me kind of nauseous.

Chronological take on the car: Bought it with the lower IPD mount installed about 3 years ago. Had the IPD sub frame bushings installed about a month ago and really thought the car felt great-nice and tight. I noticed the stock upper mount had play in the bushing and installed the IPD upper mount two weeks later. I could be wrong but the car in general seems stiffer than ever in an almost uncomfortable way. Does it make sense the car in general seems more stiff after the upper mount install?

I am going to try the loosen all the bolts with the engine running idea as well as a couple of large washers this weekend. Hope this helps but I actually kind of miss the way the V70R felt before the change (other than the shifting).

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Nut up and take it like a man. :)

It is annoying, but well worth it in my option.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The stock upper mount is supposed to have some play in it. Otherwise you will end up with the situation you have. Engine mounts are designed to soak up drivetrain vibrations. Try replacing the orriginal upper mount with a new OEM mount and you might be surprised with its ability to soak up the vibrations and also tighten things up a bit. I have the ipd lower mount and the polly conversion for the engine cross brace mount points and those alone are enough to cause annoying vibrations at idle with te AC on. I will probably be going back to factory mounts in the future.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
how did you install.

i suggest loosening upper mount just a bit, turning engine on and let it idle, then tighten it back down. might help a bit with some of the vibration. won't perform miracles but can help.---oops saw you already planned on doing this.

you will get more vibration,,,

what mount do you have..

fyi: softest to firmest mounts available are

softest -----------------------------------> firmest
oem > elevate black > ipd blue > elevate blue

it doesn't look like they sell the elevate blue anymore, though they reference it in the details on the elevate black poly page.

i have ipd blue and notice very little vibration, autos will have more vibration in general as well.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You'll get use to it. I installed the IPD upper and lower mounts plus the strut bar conversion kit. There was a lot of vibration at idle. But I don't even realize it now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sure appreciate all of your responses including the "suck it up" advice which was pretty darn funny. I also had the strut bar conversion in place before the upper mount was installed. I guess I was surprised by the amount of vibration but one must "pay to play" and will try the quick fixes and see if I become used to it. Great forum which I learn a lot from by the way.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have the ipd upper engine mount poly bushing, the ipd upper engine mount strutbar conversion bushings, the ipd black lower transmission bushing, and powerflex small lower transmission bushing. There is no increased vibration in my car at all. I have found that the stiffer poly bushings in the lower transmission mount soak up a lot of drivetrain vibration, whereas when I was using the blue ipd lower transmission bushing and stock rubber small transmission bushing (which was in good condition) I had a decent amount of vibration at idle and low speed.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
My R had a lot of vibration with the original IPD upper motor mount........but it was much better with the revised blue mount with the slits. And yes, loosen the bolts on a warm idling engine and retighten.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts