SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an embarrassing buzz/squeal today and I could really use some help diagnosing it.

It goes away when I depress the clutch pedal.
It is not related to engine speed.
It sounds as if it is coming from the pulley side of the engine.
It changes from a buzz to a squeal and back.
It's not constant, but it is present more often than not.

Help!

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: buzz/squeal from engine compartment (sargroundpounder)

How far do you need to depress the clutch pedal in order for it to go away?

My first guess is throw out bearing, but it should be somewhat related to engine speed. Does it change frequency and/or intensity as you press the clutch slowly, and then go away once fully depressed?

In neutral, with clutch out, you are still turning transmission mainshaft, and other transmission internals, but that is more of a bearing noise, not a squeal. It could be a failed bearing on the transmission input shaft, but I have not heard of this occuring on the M66.

Wait for other responses, all mine are too costly!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: buzz from engine compartment

The buzz happens to me, too. This event is limited to when I first start my car after it's been sitting for more than a few hours, and I shift into reverse. However, the buzz disappears once I shift into first, and I start driving. I do not know the cause of this problem, but I thought I'd let you know you're not alone.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

This is going to sound strange, but have you checked your power steering fluid? There are some hoses which can make a wide array of odd noises when the level is low (and cold).

Tom.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jbeerley »
The buzz happens to me, too. This event is limited to when I first start my car after it's been sitting for more than a few hours, and I shift into reverse. However, the buzz disappears once I shift into first, and I start driving. I do not know the cause of this problem, but I thought I'd let you know you're not alone.

Same here, exactly identical. Thought it was a belt, will double-check all fluids too...

Quote, originally posted by sargroundpounder »
You may have hit the nail on the head. I can't get the car into any gear at all now. The tow truck is on the way.

Make sure to report back once diagnosed...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: buzz/squeal from engine compartment (-Pascal)

Where's the little emoticon that is puking?
Dealer just called and it is the throwout bearing. Quote is $2,600 and the car won't be back until Tuesday afternoon.

This is an '06 S60R with 20K miles. I've driven manual transmissions my entire life and I've never had a clutch go out this quickly. Anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: buzz/squeal from engine compartment (Jersey R)

Dealer says it is not under warranty because this is a wear item. They "promise" they will evaluate the parts to see if there was a manufacturing defect that contributed to this. Anyone want to lay odds?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

Dude, tell them to go FU&K themselves - wear item.... at 20K miles, that thing should not fail. So what happens at 40K miles - pay $ 2,500 again? Jeesh. You have HUGE recourse here to get this 100% paid for. Speak up.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: buzz/squeal from engine compartment (jbeerley)

I had a similar noise with a Wrangler and it was the same bearing issue.

20,000 miles on an '06 and it's a "wear item".......really? They have some nerve.

I haven't seen many postings of throw out bearing going but maybe someone else has and confirm this as a common issue.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts

The throw out bearing is not a wear item! It really only comes into service during the time the clutch is depressed. (I am assuming you do not rest your foot on the clutch pedal, use it and get away from it!) Clutch disc, I can agree is a wear item. Too many "experts" think when they hear the word "clutch" that all components of it are subject to abuse. Just not true!

Remember the slave cylinder and the throw out bearing are a single coaxial unit, so both will be replaced at the same time. If you want to do it, this would be the time to take a look at the clutch disc, and if it honestly shows signs of wear, than it would be fair for you to pay something for that. If it is fine, I would not even change it. I have 126K on my clutch in a 2005 V70R, that is still fine. The car is not babied, nor abused.

ps - Looking at your log on name, are you an 11 Bravo?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sargroundpounder »
Dealer says it is not under warranty because this is a wear item. They "promise" they will evaluate the parts to see if there was a manufacturing defect that contributed to this. Anyone want to lay odds?
Call VCNA and ask for your area Rep and tell him/her what this dealer is trying to pull. Throwout bearing is not a wear item such as wiper blades or brake pads, it is a bearing and should last until the clutch needs replacement. They are usually replaced when the clutch is replaced because its stupid not to replace a cheap bearing when the trans is out. Call the service manager and ask them for VCNA number as you want to speak to them about your throwout bearing needing replacement at 20K miles and that particular dealer wants you to pay $2600. I don't even see how they could tell you that with a strait face. The most in customer pay labor would be 12hrs anyway so whats their labor rate $200 an hour plus $200 for a bearing. Talk about stealing from people

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Re: buzz/squeal from engine compartment (jbeerley)

Quote, originally posted by jbeerley »
My heart dropped when I saw that repair estimate. Hopefully my buzzing is not a result of a worn throwout bearing.
Ugh. You and I both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: buzz/squeal from engine compartment (sargroundpounder) - finale

Honest dealer? Oxymoron??

My dealer completely covered the cost of the repair!!

Their original theory was that I had worn out the clutch and the clutch had tried to self-adjust to the point it put too much pressure on the throw-out bearing causing it to seize.

Upon inspection they discovered the throw-out bearing was indeed seized, but... the clutch was not worn. Therefore, they acknowledged it as a manufacturing defect and covered the repair. It ended up being an issue with the slave cylinder / throw-out bearing.

I did not expect this level of honesty! I was really preparing for a fight on this one. Those of you near San Jose may be surprised to hear it was:

Smythe Volvo on Stevens Creek!

I've always had very good service at Smythe. They really impressed me with this one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.