SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious...what's your opinion on buying a car via Ebay? I am somewhat torn between "pretty cool" and "kinda crazy".Obviously, you won't be able to see it and drive it, which is bad. But the descriptions are often very detailed and sellers who care about their rating do not want to misrepresent. There is fraud insurance and buyer's inspection and carfax...then again I've read on this forum that some of you got burned buying on Ebay and I can see how that can happen. <p>

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: Buying via Ebay (dagnelson)

i got burned trying to buy some wheels and it took 8 months to straighten out between, paypal, ebay, and my big dog friend citibank.<p>i closed all accouts with both ebay and paypal and will never use them again.<p>i know other's who have good experiences, but i would never buy a car i did not drive first.<p>ask jrl about his opinion, i hope he jumps in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Buying via Ebay (hastee)

It all depends upon what you are expecting and other costs. Used cars are used cars, and not all are cream puffs. Transportation can be a big cost factor in your eBay purchase as well. Anticipate what you can before entering your bid..... and then expect the worst.<p>I live in west of Detroit in MI and bought my 1992 245 from RI area via eBay. Had set up to have trucked to me, but it was difficult to get picked up in RI. Ended up flying into Providence and driving the car home. The car was mostly as described, except for a couple of things. <p>Belts loose, alternator did not charge, hood would not latch were basics. Ended up sidelined by Providence airport. Belt tightened and hood latch fixed by a big mechanic with a big hammer!<p>Back on the road. Next, all warning lights went on in CT near Old Lyme, maybe an hour away. Sidelined again, another belt problem and so forth. Put on all new belts and back on the road again. Through New York area and Pennsylvania running mostly OK. It dawned on me as I entered PA that I had so far paid only one toll from Providence? That 75 cents was well spent!<p>More warning lights near Akron OH. The new belts needed to be retightened, and I was runing again. I have driven I-80 through PA "a couple of times." My recollection that it never ends still holds true.<p>Home again, with other lingering problems. Mostly the crazy wiper gremlin type. Brakes are an issue that I anticipated. Running lights are touchy as well. Its a Volvo! <p>I know the Lucas "Prince of Darkness" well because of some British cars. Who is the Volve electrical gremlin?<p>It was a nice adventure. I met a lot of nice people along the way. I have too many cars to buy another at this time.....<p>We have driven Volvos since 1989 with a 3 year exception in the mid 90's. <p>I would shop eBay again for anotrher Volvo. Volvos are plentiful in New England but scarcer here. The 240 is a basic workhorse with a great turning radius. <p>Our 1992 has about 245,000 miles and burns no oil. Can't say that for many other cars with similar mileage.<p>

·
Registered
205 Posts
For years people have bought cars long distance from avenues such as Hemmings, long before ebay. I would be comfortable with it if I spoke with the person and they had solid feedback. I have sold my last two vehicles on ebay. I listed them very honestly and in complete detail. Both buyers were happy. I did find my last two vehicles on the internet (ebay & ipd website) however they were both in NC and I saw them before I commited to the sale.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Buying via Ebay (dagnelson)

I tried to buy a 245 on Ebay from a "dealer" in Florida. My winning bid was $800 for a car that appeared to be worth about $2500, so I was pretty happy.<p>I called the dealer to arrange delivery and he told me that the transmission had a crack in it, so he junked the car.<p>Three weeks later the car was back up on Ebay sold under a different ebay seller name.<p>Everyone I know who has bought a car on Ebay has had problems ranging from misrepresentation of the vehicle (i.e. the pictures were 5 years old) to canceled deals like I had.<p>Other than trinkets or parts, from private parties, I would never use Ebay for buying anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Buying via Ebay (240nut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>240nut</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>I called the dealer to arrange delivery and he told me that the transmission had a crack in it, so he junked the car.<p>Three weeks later the car was back up on Ebay sold under a different ebay seller name.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Wow, that is really bad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: Buying via Ebay (240nut)

Like every other buy in the world, 'caveat emptor'. If you're comfortable with the pics, have scads of cash, and a lot of knowledge, eBay's definitely the way to go. Ask LOTS of questions, and use PayPal or a credit card (this way you have some recourse).<p> In all fairness, many legitimate sellers get burned on eBay, too. A co-worker with a '68 Buick GS wound up with a bum cashier's check (thankfully, he was careful)...<p> IMHO, eBay's great, and I've never had a problem. But I'm also very careful... and patient. Don't buy the first thing that catches your eye if it's too pricey or not quite good enough! There will be more!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts