SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
OP is in Canada and extended warranty seems to be quite more expensive than us.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's the same for any insurance. You're paying to avoid the risk of what you can't, or simply don't want to afford. But it's not JUST the notion of the risk something happens. The buying power of the warranty company generally means they pay out less than you as an individual does for the same work. So the aggregate cost for them is lower than it would be for the aggregate of everyone else combined out of pocket. Dealers gain from the "captive repairs" and higher chances for repeat sales as well as the profit from selling the warranty. But mathematically it would be possible to make a warranty cost less than the aggregate of repairs for an individual, disrupting the notion that it's a mathematical loss. And then the peace of mind would be free (-=
This is good information, especially DFrantz noting that the warranty companies probably pay less than we do for the same repair and hopefully their pricing reflects that. Two maxims regarding insurance I keep in mind: 1) You are betting you will have claims greater than the amount you are paying for the policy and the insurance (or warranty) company is betting you won't. I side with the insurance/warranty company. 2) Don't pay for insurance to cover claims you can afford to pay out of pocket. I don't buy extended warranties for my cars but I DO of course insure them with a high deductible collision, full liability coverage, etc. policy. For many folks a big ticket repair would be a financial challenge and pre-paying for that potential repair over time might make sense.

·
Vendor
568 Posts
Go here:

Get the 10 year extended through steingold volvo or have your dealer price match. DO NOT buy if it's not a CPO. Saving 2-3k now will come back to haunt you later! Good luck
Most dealers will get sour when you mention our pricing, so it’s best to purchase online, especially since we’re a forum sponsor. The orders help keep the site up and running with our sponsorship, so please keep that in mind.

Also, use promocode SWEDESPEEDCPO for $500.00 off all CPO Upgrades below!

And for all other VIP Plans, use promocode SWEDESPEED for $200.00 discount.

Michael Bernardo
Director of Marketing
Steingold Volvo Cars
766 Broadway
Pawtucket, RI 02861
(401) 723-4700 x126
[email protected]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Buying a used car warranty is like placing a bet that the vehicle will need $x,xxx of maintenance outside of normal wear and tear.

Yes, the vehicle isn't cheap and I'd prefer not to have to pay for an unforeseen repair but I also don't want to drive my vehicle hoping for an expensive enough failure or multiple failures to exceed the money that had I put upfront to purchase the warranty. I'd be happy to take a warranty if given one but I wouldn't pay for one from an auto manufacturer that has an acceptable track record.

And yes, I understand that some people have had bad experiences with a Volvo here and there but compared to total sales, the numbers are relatively small.

I've purchased four used Volvos (and prefer to purchase 5 year old Volvos for myself) ranging in years from 5 years old to 19 years, I've replaced brakes, shocks, struts, a clutch, wheel bearings, bushings.....many bushings, a fuel pump when the vehicle was 14 years old so outside of what an extended warranty would cover, A/C compressor and much of the A/C system when the vehicle was 16 years old, again outside of an extended warranty period, did I mention the bushings?

A warranty would have been as helpful to me as handing the mechanic a teddy bear when the bill was due. I'd recommend buying a car with as good of a maintenance history as you can find and put your thousands away for a possible failure and hope to keep your money in the bank.....unless its free or less than a grand.

Oh wait, if you get the air suspension then you may want to get that extended warranty lol.

As far as the brakes go, this vehicle eats them. 15-20 thousand miles are not uncommon, there is a new spring for the rear brakes that will hopefully increase the life of the rear's....there's a thread on here somewhere about that.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see pics of your choice.
Not trying to sound gruff here, but you can't possibly think that comparing even last generation Volvo reliability and repair pricing to the new generation is an applicable argument. As vehicle complexity goes up, so does the cost of everything related to it. Ford era Volvo parts are on the same cost and availability plane as most american and japanese cars. Volvos now are up there with the Germans. Also someone who is only willing to shell out for a 5-10 year old volvo (for what, $10k-20k max of those vintages in the current crazy state of the used car market) is not worth comparing to someone who is looking at sub-5-year-old luxury vehicles that they'll be paying $30k-60k for.

I just feel like you're trying to say that since you never would have gotten any use out of an extended warranty, then why would anybody else? It doesn't make sense even from the start because you said that you typically buy cars that wouldn't be eligible for an extended warranty anyway. Also, your reputable track record comment is irrelevant in any tech driven field. 15 years ago you had to buy a loaded S-class to get adaptive cruise, and now you get it in a base model Corolla for 1/5th of the price. That doesn't mean that if the radar sensor goes out on the Corolla it's 1/5 of the price to replace it, it's probably a $1200-1500 visit to the dealer, and that's half the price of the Volvo's CPO extension. If the Sensus display goes out, it's $1100 for the part, probably a 2hr job, plus taxes and shop charges, so in my cheap neck of the woods, that's probably $1400-1500 out the door with programming. Lose 1 diode in a headlamp module? $2500 part cost for a new headlamp assembly (gotta replace the whole thing) plus labor/alignment and programming: Probably $3200... All these that I've mentioned aren't exclusive to the top end, Hybrid Inscriptions either. They are applicable across the entire Volvo range. So if you plan to buy a 3 year old Volvo, and keep it for 5-7 years, maybe putting an additional 100k-150k miles on top of the 45k it already has the likelihood of having one or two of these issues is pretty high, and after 2-3, you've paid yourself back and then some.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts