SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my wife and I are considering buying a used 2018-2019 XC90 T6 (she wants the inscription) . We are looking to get something with around 40000-60000kms. Should I be afraid to buy one off warranty? I recently took a T6 R-design for a test drive, the Carfax stated that it had 3 sets of front brake replacements and 1 set of rears.... And it only had 70000kms. Is there anything specifically we should look for?

Thanks in advance 馃憤

Registered
I would definitely go with a certified pre-owned Volvo.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Not necessarily a Volvo specific issue. Generally a good idea to get certified warranty wi tho expensive cars. Costs a lot to fix things and many gadgets that can break.

Premium Member
19 has the upgraded computer. Not sure how it is in Canada, but here in the US for 19 you can also turn off the start/stop feature once and be done. On the 2018 we had to turn it off each trip if we don't want it on.

Reactions: T8 or not T8

Registered
Fafnir: 2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription, Ember Black
19 has the upgraded computer. Not sure how it is in Canada, but here in the US for 19 you can also turn off the start/stop feature once and be done. On the 2018 we had to turn it off each trip if we don't want it on.
Is it likely because you saved the driver鈥檚 profile when it was on? I.e. turn it off, re-save the profile.

Registered
Fafnir: 2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription, Ember Black
I. Hose not to get the CPO. I really couldn鈥檛 see my newly acquired 2016 costing my $2000 per year, as would have cost the CPO would have cost me for the next 3 years.

Premium Member
The start stop preferences can be tied to a profile, but only on a 2019 or later can you choose to keep it off in the US due to how the cars were tested with our EPA. And skipping CPO on a 2016 is not something I would ever recommend. Too many issues with the first year there. Frankly I wouldn't buy ANY newer car that wasn't certified. Most of the time the savings are not worth it for me.

Registered
鈥19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21鈥檚, etc
My advice鈥
-definitely buy cpo (and get 10yr extension)
-air suspension is great, except if it鈥檚 super cold where you live can become unreliable
-b&w sound is great as well
-luxury package is fantastic if you can find one
-inscription is the way to go for comfort
-and yes, get 19+ for defeat-able auto SS

Registered
Hi all, my wife and I are considering buying a used 2018-2019 XC90 T6 (she wants the inscription) . We are looking to get something with around 40000-60000kms. Should I be afraid to buy one off warranty? I recently took a T6 R-design for a test drive, the Carfax stated that it had 3 sets of front brake replacements and 1 set of rears.... And it only had 70000kms. Is there anything specifically we should look for?

Thanks in advance
The SPA Volvo's chew threw brakes quickly according to numerous people on this forum. I'm not sure you should be concerned about one that had them replaced. Be concerned about the life left on the vehicle you choose to buy.

As stated, CPO coverage is a must. We are on our 3rd XC90 (current 2017, former 2020, and current 2021). I would not own it outside warranty. Volvo's CPO coverage is outstanding too and will give you piece of mind.

Air suspension in our 2021 is a huge upgrade compared to our 2017 which does not have it.

If you're willing to look elsewhere from an R-design, definitely encourage the Inscription with the luxury package and the Bowers & Wilkins. Totally worth the price all around!

Side note, make sure the car you're purchasing includes all three keys: two fully functioning key fobs and the sport key. I've read some buyers were given one less and didn't know until afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The SPA Volvo's chew threw brakes quickly according to numerous people on this forum. I'm not sure you should be concerned about one that had them replaced. Be concerned about the life left on the vehicle you choose to buy.

As stated, CPO coverage is a must. We are on our 3rd XC90 (current 2017, former 2020, and current 2021). I would not own it outside warranty. Volvo's CPO coverage is outstanding too and will give you piece of mind.

Air suspension in our 2021 is a huge upgrade compared to our 2017 which does not have it.

If you're willing to look elsewhere from an R-design, definitely encourage the Inscription with the luxury package and the Bowers & Wilkins. Totally worth the price all around!

Side note, make sure the car you're purchasing includes all three keys: two fully functioning key fobs and the sport key. I've read some buyers were given one less and didn't know until afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Never knew there were 3 keys, thanks 馃憤

Registered
Recenly went through this. Bought a 2019 CPO and extended the warranty up to 10 years (I plan to keep it for a while). It may seem like a lot of money for 'piece of mind', but when the vehicle gets older, I am confident that it will save me money in the end from avoiding the high cost of repairing key components. When I did my search (Ontario Canada), the CPO aren't much more then the non CPO from non Volvo lots anyways.

Do note that consumable items such are your example about brakes is not covered by warranty (unless defective)

Registered
Buying a used car warranty is like placing a bet that the vehicle will need $x,xxx of maintenance outside of normal wear and tear.

Yes, the vehicle isn't cheap and I'd prefer not to have to pay for an unforeseen repair but I also don't want to drive my vehicle hoping for an expensive enough failure or multiple failures to exceed the money that had I put upfront to purchase the warranty. I'd be happy to take a warranty if given one but I wouldn't pay for one from an auto manufacturer that has an acceptable track record.

And yes, I understand that some people have had bad experiences with a Volvo here and there but compared to total sales, the numbers are relatively small.

I've purchased four used Volvos (and prefer to purchase 5 year old Volvos for myself) ranging in years from 5 years old to 19 years, I've replaced brakes, shocks, struts, a clutch, wheel bearings, bushings.....many bushings, a fuel pump when the vehicle was 14 years old so outside of what an extended warranty would cover, A/C compressor and much of the A/C system when the vehicle was 16 years old, again outside of an extended warranty period, did I mention the bushings?

A warranty would have been as helpful to me as handing the mechanic a teddy bear when the bill was due. I'd recommend buying a car with as good of a maintenance history as you can find and put your thousands away for a possible failure and hope to keep your money in the bank.....unless its free or less than a grand.

Oh wait, if you get the air suspension then you may want to get that extended warranty lol.

As far as the brakes go, this vehicle eats them. 15-20 thousand miles are not uncommon, there is a new spring for the rear brakes that will hopefully increase the life of the rear's....there's a thread on here somewhere about that.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see pics of your choice.

Premium Member
There are two costs of CPO... the first is a absolute must as an added value for the customer. The dealer is charged a fee to make a car CPO but then the car must meet Volvos certification requirements. It is a good idea to have an understanding of these requirements both to understand what you're getting but also to keep everything on the up and up. Such as with those brakes. CPO requires brakes to be over 50%, if they aren't, the dealer will owe you brakes if it's CPO rather than you paying the dealer over a grand to replace them. Tires too.. must be over 50%. Condition of the vehicle generally must be good and no missing trim. It's not hard if you've been in the industry for awhile to realize how big shop bills can be to get a vehicle certified, and to realize that a non certified shop is going to skip these... hence they will be less money. That's why a CPO vehicle costs more up front. While I do not recommend using the books as your end all be all value guides (right now you'd pay thousands more than market for some vehicles), if you look at the CPO vs non CPO values on a tool like NADA (now owned by JD Power) you'll see the market considerations for the value difference.

The second half of the story is the extension. Of course dealers and online venders who sell extended warranties need to make money for the trouble, but when the difference in the amount made for the exact same product can be thousands more (on a product that should only cost a few thousand bucks) then it can seem "too expensive" because it is.

A smart shopper will work to fully understand the reason and value of CPO and non-CPO to see why there is a cost difference (plus CPO may save you money on the rate too if you're financing). But it's also smart to do some homework on the warranty cost. Personally I give an upfront offer for warranty a few grand less than the MSRP and a few hundred bucks more than the online venders offer for forum members as their discount. I've had one forum member who is a customer of mine ask me to match the figure which I was happy to do (new car but exact same idea). If you don't do this, a dealer can (and does) advertise a car for a smaller profit margin but end up making more when someone says yes to anything on the back end, and they tend to have people very good at talking some into way more products than they need. There are lots of shady ways to get people to agree to buy things without the person consciously realizing they've just verbally agreed. And then if you don't review the contract you won't see it.

Registered

Thanks in advance 馃憤
It鈥檚 a decently expensive car so warranty should be considered. And also, it鈥檚 recommended to check the vehicle鈥檚 history, If the car has been in an accident or salvaged or even how many previous owners it has served. There is rapidcarcheck.co.uk to help you check it all out. I purchased a bulk pack from them and I got a few unused codes. I can share some if you need it?

Registered
Shouldn鈥檛 warranties be priced so that, in aggregate, the seller of the warranty makes money? That would mean the buyer of the warranty loses, again in aggregate. If you don鈥檛 want to take the risk that you鈥檙e an outlier then it makes sense to give up a little bit of money for the assurance. Am I wrong?

Premium Member
It's the same for any insurance. You're paying to avoid the risk of what you can't, or simply don't want to afford. But it's not JUST the notion of the risk something happens. The buying power of the warranty company generally means they pay out less than you as an individual does for the same work. So the aggregate cost for them is lower than it would be for the aggregate of everyone else combined out of pocket. Dealers gain from the "captive repairs" and higher chances for repeat sales as well as the profit from selling the warranty. But mathematically it would be possible to make a warranty cost less than the aggregate of repairs for an individual, disrupting the notion that it's a mathematical loss. And then the peace of mind would be free (-=

Reactions: T8 or not T8

Registered
It's the same for any insurance. You're paying to avoid the risk of what you can't, or simply don't want to afford. But it's not JUST the notion of the risk something happens. The buying power of the warranty company generally means they pay out less than you as an individual does for the same work. So the aggregate cost for them is lower than it would be for the aggregate of everyone else combined out of pocket. Dealers gain from the "captive repairs" and higher chances for repeat sales as well as the profit from selling the warranty. But mathematically it would be possible to make a warranty cost less than the aggregate of repairs for an individual, disrupting the notion that it's a mathematical loss. And then the peace of mind would be free (-=
Interesting, thanks.

Premium Member
I'm not saying it works out that way... just that it would be mathematically possible. I've never seen the cost analysis on a warranty companies perspective.

Premium Member
anecdotally.. look at Kia/Hyundai... they subsidized their factory warranty I would guess at the cost of a pretty penny in order to have the best new car warranty in the industry to get folks to feel comfortable buying their cars... I'm nearly certain they factor in the profit of sales into the cost of warranty for that =-D

Registered
anecdotally.. look at Kia/Hyundai... they subsidized their factory warranty I would guess at the cost of a pretty penny in order to have the best new car warranty in the industry to get folks to feel comfortable buying their cars... I'm nearly certain they factor in the profit of sales into the cost of warranty for that =-D
Yes that鈥檚 what鈥檚 cool about it. Firming up used car values, which reduce cost to own and lease, selling in higher margin products, having repeat customers.. all can make the math work in your favor. It鈥檚 an interesting idea and maybe why warranties seem so much more popular for cars than for other products.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts