SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - first time car buyer in need of advice. I "grew up in" an 850 and recently fell in love with my parents' XC90 Inscription back home in Scandinavia, so now I decided to look for one with at least the B&W upgrade and the 360 camera/ACC (whatever else might be available is gravy). My plan was to go for a CPO MY16 T6 Inscription with high mileage to avoid as much depreciation as possible + make use of the 10yr CPO warranty option. I'm also planning to list it on Turo to offset some of the owning cost, given I don't have a day-to-day use for the vehicle here in San Francisco. That said, should I also be open to non-CPO if the discount is large enough?

The two options I'm looking at which I found attractive are:
1: CPO MY16 XC90 First Edition with 77k miles listed at $34k, excl. ~$3.5k for the 10yr extension (whether from the dealer or via Steingold) and shipping to SF (~$1.5k), i.e. $39k before taxes/regs etc
2: Non-CPO MY16 XC90 T6 Inscription with 95k miles quoted at $27.5k, which has been sitting for some time on a non-Volvo dealer lot ~100mi away. This has the B&W upgrade and it looks to have the front camera from what I can see in pictures of it, so I'm assuming 360 camera / ACC is in place. Unclear yet whether it has the 4C air suspension etc.

With that context, what's an appropriate discount for a non-CPO XC90 Inscription that would offset the lack of coverage for potentially costly repairs as mileage goes up? Is there anything in particular I should have in mind as I'm thinking through this purchase, especially in the non-Volvo dealer scenario (#2 above)? Is this just a terrible idea and I should steer clear? What is a fair price for each of these in your view?

Many thanks in advance for any advice - looking forward to your thoughts! :)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I'd choose CPO for MY16 cars. Things like sunroof leak out of warranty (in another thread) would be just too bad.
Not to mention this CPO car has less mileage. And there should be other more choices of CPO XC90's around.

Choose $100 deductible, the CPO 10yr/unlimited extended warranty is $2933.

Non-CPO is a gamble to some degree. You have to get some dealer to pull the service history to avoid suspicious things. If lucky maybe it runs 100k more miles, but if not lucky, it could be a hole for you to throw in some more money.

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
NEITHER.

FVVk the highe mileage car. Marry the lowest mileage with CPO. Kill "First Edition" car.

Anyway, for real op, your choices are all garbage, look for better ones.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
NEITHER.

FVVk the highe mileage car. Marry the lowest mileage with CPO. Kill "First Edition" car.

I am not very against high mileage car, because it is mostly freeway mileage and the transmission is robust. Engine is usually not the problem. It can continue running another half of life, as long as oil burn is not much.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all - sounds like I might be better off waiting a little bit then. For what it is worth, #2 was manufactured 4/11/16, which I guess would put it on the tail end of MY16?

In your view, what price should I be aiming for to make either option worthwhile?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Thanks all - sounds like I might be better off waiting a little bit then. For what it is worth, #2 was manufactured 4/11/16, which I guess would put it on the tail end of MY16?

In your view, what price should I be aiming for to make either option worthwhile?
Worthwhile is relative to the car condition, and overall market price. If car is in good condition, then a fair price depends on how much you want to pay, and how soon the dealer want to sell.

Option 1 is actually fine to me. It is about half price after 4 years. And backed by CPO warranty. It is nicer if can get some discount to offset the cost for extended CPO warranty.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like I'll have to figure out how much I can get either one negotiated to, and then consider the price difference. If the service history checks out and I end up seeing something like a $10-15k difference OTD at the end of the day, I wonder what kind of repair would eat up that difference vs. having the CPO warranty deal with it though...

·
Registered
857 Posts
NEITHER.

I'm with this guy! No on 2016, and especially no on First Edition. (How handy! It even comes with the warning label built in: Never buy a first edition vehicle.) I don't care how many bugs have been ironed out, I'd go for a 2017.

Keep looking.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Sounds like I'll have to figure out how much I can get either one negotiated to, and then consider the price difference. If the service history checks out and I end up seeing something like a $10-15k difference OTD at the end of the day, I wonder what kind of repair would eat up that difference vs. having the CPO warranty deal with it though...
The price difference is due to mileage difference. If both cars are in equally good condition and you run them to 150k miles, it is 80k miles for option 1, roughly $4500 every 10k miles, and only 50k miles for option 2, roughly $5400 every 10k miles. Hence the price difference is quite big too.

Only if it is good to run longer, say 180k miles, option 2 becomes cheaper than option 1.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did some digging, and it seems like most CPO 2017 T6 Inscriptions are $40k+ (at least with B&W). I did find a CPO 2017 T8 R-Design with 50k miles, B&W and Vision, Convenience etc on it listed at ~$45k. While this is a meaningful step up from what I intended to spend, what are your thoughts on this option? T8 would be helpful for some PHEV benefits in CA as far as I'm aware, but is the premium over T6 worth it? The interior of the R-Design vs Inscription gives me pause, but I have yet to spend meaningful time in one so I'll reserve judgement I guess...

I also saw a CPO 2016 T6 Inscription (non B&W) with 42k miles on it listed for $33.5k in Florida, but worried that there is some reason it hasn't sold in the 90 days it has been on the market...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I am biased to T8 of course. The premium of new T8 over T6 is well worthy. For CPO the premium should be smaller accordingly. It is worthy to find a chance to test drive it if not done before. T8 is a beauty and a beast in one car. :) If you like it, then it is worthy. I also believe the life of T8 will be longer. Though some people would worry about battery replacement after 8+ years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reviving this thread: The T8 RD sold before I could even get a look at it, so that option went out the window. Seeing some more MY17s on the market and not being particularly keen on going through the HW upgrade hassle to get Android Auto (+ the advice above on generally avoiding MY16s), I've also realized that it probably makes sense to look at somewhat higher price points. Ideally I'd like to end up around $40k before warranty extensions though, which seems hard with CPOs. After some experimentation with the Extended VIP Warranty tool on Steingold's website, I've also included lower mileage used cars in my search.

One such option I've found is a MY17 T6 Inscription with B&W, Air Suspension, 360 cameras etc. Unfortunately no hitch (I will need a way to get a bike rack on this thing eventually), but it seems to be a Polestar given the badge on the rear (but not advertised as such). It is listed by a non-Volvo dealer out of state. Carfax lists an accident with "minor damage" to the left rear, which is impossible to see any signs of both in pictures and the video the dealer sent me. It has just over 33k miles and is listed at $40.5k, and a 60mo/75k mi/$100 deductible extended warranty is $3,082 at Steingold for this vehicle, which I feel might be a reasonable substitute to going down the CPO route + CPO warranty extension. I would also have to either drive it back to CA or get it shipped, which would be another $1-1.5k I guess.

Any thoughts on the price on this? My situation is flexible on timing, so don't want to rush into a mediocre deal just ahead of a wave of off-lease MY17s hitting the market in the next few months (?).

·
Vendor
492 Posts
Reviving this thread: The T8 RD sold before I could even get a look at it, so that option went out the window. Seeing some more MY17s on the market and not being particularly keen on going through the HW upgrade hassle to get Android Auto (+ the advice above on generally avoiding MY16s), I've also realized that it probably makes sense to look at somewhat higher price points. Ideally I'd like to end up around $40k before warranty extensions though, which seems hard with CPOs. After some experimentation with the Extended VIP Warranty tool on Steingold's website, I've also included lower mileage used cars in my search.

One such option I've found is a MY17 T6 Inscription with B&W, Air Suspension, 360 cameras etc. Unfortunately no hitch (I will need a way to get a bike rack on this thing eventually), but it seems to be a Polestar given the badge on the rear (but not advertised as such). It is listed by a non-Volvo dealer out of state. Carfax lists an accident with "minor damage" to the left rear, which is impossible to see any signs of both in pictures and the video the dealer sent me. It has just over 33k miles and is listed at $40.5k, and a 60mo/75k mi/$100 deductible extended warranty is $3,082 at Steingold for this vehicle, which I feel might be a reasonable substitute to going down the CPO route + CPO warranty extension. I would also have to either drive it back to CA or get it shipped, which would be another $1-1.5k I guess.

Any thoughts on the price on this? My situation is flexible on timing, so don't want to rush into a mediocre deal just ahead of a wave of off-lease MY17s hitting the market in the next few months (?).
Great to see you’re using our VIP Portals! If you’re going the CPO route, make sure to use our SWEDESPEEDCPO promo code for an additional $350.00 off any CPO Upgrade Extension! If any questions, don’t hesitate!

https://vip.steingold.com/shop/vip-certified-by-volvo-upgrades/8

·
Registered
345 Posts
Another thing to take into account is that both the T6 and T8 have the exact same engine, but a 50k mile T8 the ice didn't run for many of those miles especially if it was mostly city driving, where a T6 engine did every single one of those miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my CPO 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum with Convenience and Plus package for $35,650 at 37,000 miles. I was comparing that with a similar car from CarMax, but the local dealership has a good reputation with customer service (Dulles, Virginia), so I decided to go with the Volvo CPO option. I also paid extra for the warranty to last me to 10 year/100,000 miles for about $2800.

I am loving the car so far, but I've already had the following issues that Volvo is taking care of free of charge under the warranty plan:
- Water leaking from the Intellisafe compartment behind the rear-view mirror
- Activity Key battery is low and not working properly

One disappointment I have is that it doesn't have the proper double USB plug for Apple CarPlay.. therefore, if I want to pay for installation and labor, it'll cost me about $975... so I'm not going to install it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update wayyy later and too many hours spent on research and monitoring the market:

Ended up buying a CPO MY18 Inscription with B&W, Convenience Package and misc other, w/o 4C air. 45.6k miles, local dealer in SoCal at what seemed like a pretty good price compared to any of the MY17s I found with and without CPO status (+ $500 off with Costco Auto Program - nice!). Fingers crossed for not having made a terrible first car buying decision. :D

Going to be picking it up in a few weeks due to travel, so in the meantime I need to find an insurer that can work with the car having been acquired via my LLC. Can someone recommend any that have reasonable rates for good coverage (I'm looking at 250/500/100 and up) in SoCal and that allows mixed use (business/personal)? So far I've found Progressive Commercial, Geico didn't really seem competitive.

·
Vendor
492 Posts
Update wayyy later and too many hours spent on research and monitoring the market:

Ended up buying a CPO MY18 Inscription with B&W, Convenience Package and misc other, w/o 4C air. 45.6k miles, local dealer in SoCal at what seemed like a pretty good price compared to any of the MY17s I found with and without CPO status (+ $500 off with Costco Auto Program - nice!). Fingers crossed for not having made a terrible first car buying decision. :D

Going to be picking it up in a few weeks due to travel, so in the meantime I need to find an insurer that can work with the car having been acquired via my LLC. Can someone recommend any that have reasonable rates for good coverage (I'm looking at 250/500/100 and up) in SoCal and that allows mixed use (business/personal)? So far I've found Progressive Commercial, Geico didn't really seem competitive.
Give Liberty Mutual a try w/ the Volvo Discount: https://welcome.libertymutual.com/c...17025_volvo&MM_webID=0000024277&cmpgncde=2676

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
If Farmers Ins. Group does business in Cali, then they are worth a try.

I pay less on an annual basis that what some companies claim to save and I have extended limits and $250 deductible. Of course, there are so, so many variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 22 Posts