SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a family of 4 with a small rat dog and a St.Bernard. Ideally we want a car suv or van that has a luggage rack for camping trips and a spot in the back for the dog s because they are family and love camping too. So I was looking at the v70's we have a maximum budget of 4000 and have never spent tha much before on a car but I found this and would like some good advice form the community.. that tell me what you think please
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3267224972.html
it is worth it for the price

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just talked to the guy and he said it has a salvage title and lowest it would go is 3600 still seems steep whatsha guys think I need some help

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
just talked to the guy and he said it has a salvage title and lowest it would go is 3600 still seems steep whatsha guys think I need some help
I personally would not touch an 01 with auto transmission, they had a "stop neutral" feature which caused premature transmission wear. Many an 01 car as early trans problems as a result. Basically it shifted the car into neutral at every stop light or stop sign, and back into first when off the brake.

However if the trans has been replaced or rebuilt, then this is not an issue, as it would probably have the newer software which deleted this "feature". Volvo got rid of "stop neutral" before the 2003 model year.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
May also want to repost this on the V70 XC70 forum. Lots of info there for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Moved to 70 forum.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You'd have to provide some more info in order to give you a good answer. Are you going to repair it yourself or have a body shop do it? If you do it yourself and can find the right color panels it might be worth it, but I'd get a good look at it first to find out what all is bent/broken and then price the parts. If you'd be paying to have it done you'd be better off finding an undamaged car as the cost will take it higher than the value at that price.

To be honest, if you're trying to stay below 4k then a P2 V70 is the wrong car to look at- I'd recommend looking at a previous gen V70 or an 850 instead.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
IMO, if $4K is a lot of money for you, you may want to look toward a more mainstream wagon that will run just as long as a Volvo, but will cost less to maintain. Subaru Legacy/Outback, the last Camry and Accord wagon....
The Accord has almost no ground clearance, but I took ours all around AZ on and off asphalt & besides being slow and using the entire road width on dirt, it performs OK. Subaru is a natural - even the Legacy with a road-height clearance. Fixing a Sube is cheap too, and the electronics never fail, unlike cars built in Europe.
Disclaimer: My I spent much more maintaining my Accord than I have my V70 & for that I'll never go back to Honda. Subaru is built like an ultra-light Volvo wth less-comfortable seats, but seemingly everything is interchangeable between models and years, making DIY repair a breeze.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
No matter what you choose, in the $4K range, records are a MUST! Be looking for a verifiable 1-owner car. That means that the person has owned it for over a decade, so it was probably purchased with long-term ownership in mind, not buy-and-dump, which sometimes means maintenance neglect, since the owner knows it will soon be someone else's problem. I'd sooner take a 180K mi 1-owner car w/ maintenence history over an 80K mile car with multiple owners and an Armor-All super-shiny interior.

·
Registered
785 Posts
IMO you would better off buying a 1992-1995 Volvo 740/940 or a 1996-1998 Volvo 960 Wagon (renamed V90 for 1998 model year) or maybe a 1995-1997 850 wagon OR a 1998 V70 - try to spend no more than $3K total and keep the rest in a fund for repairs and join AAA Premiere just in case. From a simplicity and durability standpoint the 1992-1995 740/940 wagon are easy to keep running, parts are relatively cheap. I wouldn't be scared away from a high mileage 740/940 if maintenance is up to date and the engine , transmission and coolant fluids look good.

I would immediately drain and refill the transmission fluid on whatever you buy unless you have records showing the transmission fluid has been renewed during the last 18 months. The newer Front Wheel Drive automatics seem to be less robust then the older Rear Wheel Drive ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts