SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a "new" V60CC with about 1,500 miles. It was used as a demo/loaner. Can anyone offer advice as to how much this should be discounted? The dealer is currently offering it to me for $1,000 less than a comparable new vehicle (less than 50 miles).

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Usually demos get more of a discount than that from what I've seen. You should be able to talk it down some more. How much more I couldn't tell you. What year is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually demos get more of a discount than that from what I've seen. You should be able to talk it down some more. How much more I couldn't tell you. What year is it?
It's a 2015.5 V60 Cross Country.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well since it's so new then you probably won't get much off. You could probably get 2500 if you push them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd look for more of a discount than that, if that's all they are offering, it would be better in my opinion to get one that has not been used for a demo/loaner. I purchased a car once that was a demo vehicle and figured out later that the brakes were warped, took it in and all they did was cut the rotors to even them out, said they were fine and did not need to be replaced. I ended up getting rotors on my own.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Buying "new" with miles (loaner/demo)

Not sure if you can compare the German and US car markets but I picked up my V40 as a demo (around 2000 miles) with an 21% discount and got them to throw in a set of alloys with winter tires.
I'd also be getting an easy 10% on a factory new car without really having to negotiate.
If you don't need the car asap, walk away and let the dealer know you might be placing an order to those specs because you want factory new for that much money and you are not in a rush. If there is another volvo dealer in town, mention it like it has some sort of advantage i.e. being closer to home. They want those demo cars off the lot, so you should be getting a higher discount by now ;)

If not, spend the extra $1000 and go for brand new, you will be getting them back when you sell the car first hand.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thats not enough of a discount. You can basically get a new one and haggle about the same amount off anyway...

Usually its around $3k-5k off or so for a loaner by me. But then again a lot of em have a bit more mileage than that...

I think you would be better buying new at that point

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Thats not enough of a discount. You can basically get a new one and haggle about the same amount off anyway...

Usually its around $3k-5k off or so for a loaner by me. But then again a lot of em have a bit more mileage than that...

+1

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I can get you a new ( I mean new, no miles) for a couple of hundred over Dealer INVOICE if you want to come back East and drive it back.
(This is approx 2500-3K off MSRP)

·
Registered
544 Posts

+1

When we were looking there was a dealer one with about the same mileage and they were offering the same token amount off. I can't haggle, no matter how much I try. So we said stuff it and got a brand new one, better in my opinion as we're the first and only owner if we try and sell it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
I'm looking at a "new" V60CC with about 1,500 miles. It was used as a demo/loaner. Can anyone offer advice as to how much this should be discounted? The dealer is currently offering it to me for $1,000 less than a comparable new vehicle (less than 50 miles).

Thanks,
John
I bought a previous loaner a few years ago and I think it had 6k on the clock when I got it and IIRC the price was around $3k off. $1k off for a car with only 1,500 miles seems pretty reasonable to me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My S60 was a "new" loaner, had 3000 miles and was $11K off, including CPO warranty. Surely $3K off would be reasonable on a V60CC, since it's a new model.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I would also check the warranty and see what the difference is. I believe Safe and Secure does
not transfer to a new owner if the car was a demo/loaner (or leased) possibly affecting re-sale
(how important that is will depend on how long you keep the car). The in-service date might also
be the time when the loaner demo car went into service and that is when the warranty starts.
If you buy the car, the in service date is when you take delivery. (You should double-check
all of the above.)

I would expect a larger discount.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You do get a warranty with loaners/demos. Mine was and I still have 2 years on my warranty. Not sure if it's S&S I'd have to go recheck my paperwork.

·
Registered
510 Posts
When I'm buying, it's at or close to invoice, no matter what brand it is. If one dealer isn't willing to make the numbers work, some place else will.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
When I'm buying, it's at or close to invoice, no matter what brand it is. If one dealer isn't willing to make the numbers work, some place else will.
I, too, usually work off of invoice & subtract the incentives, then try to arrive at a number. The problem is, there appears to be money to the dealers that I haven't seen listed anywhere. Three quotes I received are below (all doc fees are included, TTL is not included, no finance incentives, no trade-in). These are from three different dealers in two or three different regions.

a) $46,315 MSRP; $43,503 invoice; $40,352 offer = ( Invoice - $1,651 discount + $1,500 Conquest Cash)

b) With 1,300 miles: $46,755 MSRP; $43,653 invoice; $38,850 offer = (Invoice - $3,303 discount - $1,500 Conquest Cash)

c) $47,025 MSRP; $44,170 invoice; $38,275 offer = (Invoice - $4,395 - $1,500 Conquest Cash)

I pulled the invoice prices from Edmunds. Dealer (A) sent me a copy of their invoice, which matched what I found on Edmunds. This is for a 2015.5 V60 Cross Country.

I tried to get my local dealer (A) to go down to $39,000 from $40,352 and they wouldn't budge.

In the end, I went with (B) and had them throw in rubber mats. I liked the vehicle options better than dealer (C). Dealer (C) would have has airfare or shipping costs. I have relatives who are going to drive my old car back to me when they come for a visit, so no shipping costs from dealer (B). Also, I was already in dealer (B)'s city on business so there were no travel expenses.

TrueCar says the average paid is $41,476 and says anything below $39,000 is an "exceptional price." So, I'm good with it...

John

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Congrats, hopefully you took advantage of the interest free financing offer. I picked up an XC60 last week and got 0% for 60 months after similar discounts as above.

·
Registered
440 Posts
We got about 9% off on our 2014 XC90 R-Design with about 5K miles on it from the dealer's wife.
Looks and drives brand new.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I can get you a new ( I mean new, no miles) for a couple of hundred over Dealer INVOICE if you want to come back East and drive it back.
(This is approx 2500-3K off MSRP)
We've gotten at least $4K off MSRP (including conquest program) just walking in the door. I wouldn't touch this demo/loaner for less than $6K off. On second thought, unless it was an executive Volvo company car, I wouldn't touch it period. Sure these are treated better than your everyday rental vehicle, and it's only 1,500 miles, but I seriously doubt anyone has been gentle with it, especially through the break-in period.

Why not just get a brand new one and insist on $3.500 to $4,000 off sticker?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts