SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Need replace my axles and I would like to know if its better to buy a used axle from erie vovo vs buying an aftermarket empi from fcp? Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh i forgot to mention that erie vovo offers a lifetime warranty on them

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Used.....aftermarket stuff is junk
I'm trying to understand this... You're suggesting used... Which already have a variable amount of miles already on them....

yet suggest "aftermarket stuff" is junk?

Not so sure if you're trolling or not....

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i have dss axles in my car now and only been there for like 3 months it started shaking on accleration already. So i might go with used genuine which has about 60k miles on them and with lifetime warranty sounds really good. And its same price as a new aftermarket.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If only new oem didnt cost 350 peice theres no question id go for it. But im on a tight budget and the used ones would only cost me 200 for both plus shipping

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Why did you have to replace the OEM axles in the first place? What made the replacement aftermarket axles fail in 3 months? What makes you think used OEM will last any longer?

What's the story behind this? On a '08 you'd expect the axles to be like new.......going through so many sets seems odd to me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the oem axles was clicking and had same vibration issue im having now with my aftermarket axles. I guess cuz i did some 'spirited' driving!(i just cant resist the power of turbo!) Lol. Definitely learned my lesson. And the thing was it was too late for me to recover the oem ones i had as my mechanic had already disposed of it, otherwise i would have had it rebuilt.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could also go with a rebuilt one locally and save on the shipping and would have lifetime warranty as well.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'd vote new OEM over aftermarket or used but that's my $0.02.
That's what I was thinking. Ideally you shouldn't have to replace Axles THAT often unless you're hard on them (slamming the pedal at every light, slamming on the brakes, etc etc).

Ideally I'd just rebuild them or have them rebuilt. But not everyone has that kind of patience lol.

I wouldn't go used unless it was absolutely necessary tbh. Sure they work for a little while. But they've already lost a chunk of their life on another car.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Was it incorrect installation perhaps that caused the premature failure? Possibly a leaking CV boot?
This. Or forgetting to put any kind of grease on the axle splines. I've seen that happen a lot.

Also I'm assuming there is a wheel bearing in the hub that could be a culprit?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont recall seeing my mechanic put any sort of grease anywhere. Just straight from the box. Also i dont know if its worth to mention that my car is lowered with h&r springs. Well, i dont know if its worth to rebuild what i have now and probably cheaper to buy the empi axles. The only advantage in buying the used one is the lifetime warranty replacement.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I dont recall seeing my mechanic put any sort of grease anywhere. Just straight from the box. Also i dont know if its worth to mention that my car is lowered with h&r springs. Well, i dont know if its worth to rebuild what i have now and probably cheaper to buy the empi axles. The only advantage in buying the used one is the lifetime warranty replacement.
I can't speak for Volvo's axles. But when i was doing truck axles I had always properly greased them before putting them into my front diff. Volvo may be very different. But I imagine you'd at least have to have some kind of axle grease on the side the wheel hub is on.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called a volvo dealer to ask how much the sell new axles and i can believe they want $650 a side.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
You did some spirited driving and wore out the axels??? Like endless burnouts everyday?? I stomp the **** out of my S60 everyday and I'd imagine the increased AWD grip puts a lot more stress on the CV joints than simply spinning the front wheels. I have original axles without play since 2002 with almost 200,000 miles... I really don't think this is the root of your axle failure.

Greasing the splines helps when you go to remove the axle for service but won't cause CV failure.

And I'd recommend calling around for prices, try tasca parts as they have the lowest price guarantee.

Obviously you're free to buy what ever parts you want but I would imagine you'd be back here again doing the same thing unless you figure out whats causing them to fail, if indeed they are actually faulty.

Your main symptoms are what, clicking noise and vibration upon acceleration with the old oem parts? vibration upon acceleration with aftermarket parts? Clicking can be a few things like axles bolts (axle ping), vibration can come from more than just the axle, can be wheel or tire related. As well.

Who recommended you replace the OEM axles the first time? Indy? What did he say about the new parts wearing out in 3 months? You'd think he'd have some kind of warranty on parts and labor for at least a year.......

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nj, My car is a fwd if that makes a difference. Well, i didnt do anything too crazy like burnouts but sometimes with my wheels turned i tend to step on the gas enough to make the wheels spin. Anyways, i know its the axles because i remeber feeling the same thing when my oem axles started going bad. If its a wheel balance issue it would cause the steering wheel to shake while cruising right? I can only feel the shaking on my seat and not on the steering. I can try and rebalance my wheels but i doubt that will resolve it. I just recently replaced my axle bolts with xc90 bolts with te rubber like 4 days ago.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also have "anti skid service required" message popping up when i take the car out for a drive. The msg would appear when turning the wheels to the left while moving and mybe to the right but so far i only noticed when turning left. I dont know if a bad axle would contribute to this msg. I havent scanned the car for codes as dealerships here charge $120 just read the codes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts