SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Swedespeed Forum,

I need some advice - I want to order a Volvo SUV, but I am stuck between two models: the XC40 and XC60. I've test driven both multiple times but cannot really make up my mind. I live in Germany and stumbled across Volvo by accident. But I was immediately smitten by the design and the comfort. Previous cars were all VWs and BMWs.

Since it's going to be a company car, I am limited to these options: XC60 in D4 FWD GT Momentum Pro trim (+all options). The XC40 I can get the new T5 Twin Engine in Inscription (+ all options). Price wise, the XC40 is 150$ per month cheaper than the XC60.

My driving profile is the typical 25miles/40km/day commute (some city traffic, mostly highway), some weekly errands around town and 1-2x per Month a 300-400mile long haul with my wife to visit family and friends. We don't have kids (yet) but might happen soonish. As I am getting older (early 30s) I start to value comfort (suspension, noise, refinement) over speed and sportyness.

I liked the XC60s comfort, especially the better noise-isolated cabin with the shatterproof window option. I also liked the higher center console and the comfy seats. I don't like diesels that much but with the geartronic it was actually very nice to drive.
In the XC40 I liked the compact size and the outside styling, but the interior is a step down from the XC60, especially the center console that is so nice in the XC60 looks like an afterthought in the XC40.
The Plug-In-Hybrid would match my driving habits well but of course the whole drivetrain, esp. the new gearbox adds some uncertainty. I can carge the car at home and would save about 1t/CO2 per year compared to the XC60 D4.
From the options and assisstants they're anyway very similar.

So, brain says XC40 but heart says XC60 :confused:

Any thoughts on what to choose? Has someone owned both vehicles and can do a long-term comparison?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We own both. The XC60 is my daily driver, about 10 miles one way to work. It is definitely more luxurious and comfortable that the 40. I have plenty of room and have never needed nor wanted more space. Everything inside does feel a step up from the 40. I have no complaints other than the noise levels and the laggy transmission-always feels like it in too high of a gear. The 40 on the other hand is smoother and more engaging to drive. I enjoy driving it on weekends. It just feels more tightly bolted together, if that makes any sense. We have same engine/transmission combined but with a lighter weight it fees peppier. Two things I don’t like are the bump style shifter and the very erect back seat. It needs a recline lever. I would not want to put an adult in that back seat for very long. Otherwise it is a great car.
Definitely drive both multiple times to see what you think.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
If you like spirited driving, push the FWD XC60 and check it out. I don't know how the diesel motors handle as we don't have them here, but a FWD T5 in the states has a fair amount of torque steer. If you drive like a normal civilized adult then the XC60 is a nicer ride overall and I would preference it. If you like spirited driving the AWD XC40 will have that and save you some money. I'm not familiar with the options over there... but to me the most important option is adaptive cruise control and pilot assist. I didn't think I would care for such gimmicks... but I found them to be the greatest feature on a modern car and what I miss the most when driving older machines.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The lack of a HUD on the XC40 is a deal killer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
The lack of a HUD on the XC40 is a deal killer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had a few customers feel that way. I'll be honest its one I don't understand. Some folks hate it, and I'm certainly not in that camp, but I don't see a value to it that makes it a deal breaker. What aspects make it of such high value for yourself? Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've had a few customers feel that way. I'll be honest its one I don't understand. Some folks hate it, and I'm certainly not in that camp, but I don't see a value to it that makes it a deal breaker. What aspects make it of such high value for yourself? Thanks for the feedback!
I value the speed limit info, because I’m usually speeding. I’ve been trying to set acc/pa to 5mph over the limits. Also, I’m becoming a big fan of Sensus navigation in the HUD when going somewhere I’m not familiar with. It makes the turn by turn almost idiot proof. Almost, I still have my moments.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I value the speed limit info, because I’m usually speeding. I’ve been trying to set acc/pa to 5mph over the limits. Also, I’m becoming a big fan of Sensus navigation in the HUD when going somewhere I’m not familiar with. It makes the turn by turn almost idiot proof. Almost, I still have my moments.
Gotcha. You know you can set an alert on the speeding right? You can set it to flash, or even chime at you above a set figure over the limit. It's under the settings/intellisafe menu. Are you in a heavy traffic area? I can see it being a bigger deal in high traffic. I used to live in Atlanta, and haven't seen a real traffic jam since moving back to the Harrisburg PA area.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Gotcha. You know you can set an alert on the speeding right? You can set it to flash, or even chime at you above a set figure over the limit. It's under the settings/intellisafe menu. Are you in a heavy traffic area? I can see it being a bigger deal in high traffic. I used to live in Atlanta, and haven't seen a real traffic jam since moving back to the Harrisburg PA area.
Yeah, I just like to know what it is. I turned the flashing off. I really like the turn graphics in the HUD. It even shows you what lanes you can use. I used to live/die by Waze, but I love Sensus nav for it's HUD features.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts