SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted my proposed itinerary in a separate thread, and kind of feel like I'm spamming the board, but I have a separate question I didn't want buried.

Will I be able to purchase factory accessories at the factory itself? If so, is there any kind of discount? I will likely want to buy cross bars for the roof rails, all-season floor mats, and perhaps some cargo netting.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
They do run specials. I added mudflaps and all-weather floor mats at the factory.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My OSD person went over what I could buy at the factory V. the dealer and there were minor price differences. The factory also was running some "specials".

·
Registered
92 Posts
I purchased a set of 4 Achilles 19" rims, at half the cost of them at the dealer. They packed them into the back of the car for the trip back, and whether by mistake or not, I didn't have to pay tax/duty on it too as it wasn't listed separately on the paperwork.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I purchased a set of 4 Achilles 19" rims, at half the cost of them at the dealer. They packed them into the back of the car for the trip back, and whether by mistake or not, I didn't have to pay tax/duty on it too as it wasn't listed separately on the paperwork.
Now, THAT was what I was hoping to hear! Was kind of regretting not getting a set of 18" wheels when I ordered it, but I'm not prepared to pay ~$500/wheel after the fact. If they have them at a significant discount, I may very well pick up a set and use the 17"s for snowtire duty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just did my OSD in December. I had a list of accessories I originally had on the order, but I deleted the ones that could be quickly installed, and differed the purchases until I was at the factory center. They had a discount for buying more than 3 items, which was pretty nice, and the tax won't be calculated on them....

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I just did my OSD in December. I had a list of accessories I originally had on the order, but I deleted the ones that could be quickly installed, and differed the purchases until I was at the factory center. They had a discount for buying more than 3 items, which was pretty nice, and the tax won't be calculated on them....
Interesting....I need to pass that information along to 26GAP......

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does anyone know if you can buy larger accessories at the factory store like skid plates? If so, who handles the installation and what is the turn around time? Or is it better to just order these ahead of time?

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
If you can... order them ahead of time. But if you do buy them at the FDC, they will insatll them for you either before you drive off.... or before it is loaded on a ship

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you can... order them ahead of time. But if you do buy them at the FDC, they will insatll them for you either before you drive off.... or before it is loaded on a ship
So it sounds like smaller items better to buy them there because of the possibility for sales or discounts, but it's better to order the larger items so they can install them ahead of time? Do you know what is a typical turnaround time if you buy them there?

Also, can you confirm whether accessories will be taxed along with the car as a whole, or are they taxed separately? I guess since you pay the tax after you return state-side, perhaps they just tally all of your receipts together. But that could be the difference between paying taxes for a 60k car as opposed to a 55k (just to illustrate) car with a bunch of miscellaneous purchases.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
nope.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Do you mind if you elaborate? Is it only the car plus its options that go on it's bill of sale? Would you need to pay sales taxes or duty on any of the accessories?
Everything you buy at the factory is an individual sale, completely unrelated to the sale of the car. We bought the all weather mats/rear cargo mat package and there is absolutely no record of it on bill of sale.

The factory delivery sales are no different than if you went to Biltema and bought a lawn chair and some screwdrivers.

Now as far as declaring these items, I don't know. For example, if you bought the trailer hitch or had running boards installed, I don't know if you need to declare the cost of the physical parts or if customs will notice when it arrives (I highly highly doubt it).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts