SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my mind set on picking up a new S60 T5 soon. However, I'd like some advice on whether to get the FWD, or spend extra for the AWD. I live in northern California so snow isn't an issue here. If I got the AWD, it would purely just be for whatever added "fun" it may offer when driving on dry roads. I'm not that agressive a driver, but I do enjoy taking the occasional corner or freeway on-ramp with some gusto.

The dealer salesman has actually recommended that I shouldn't bother with the AWD, because he says I wouldn't notice it except during extremely aggressive driving. Unfortunately I don't have the confidence to push the car during test drives (it would take me a few months with the car to build that confidence), so I can't tell what that threshold is.

I don't mind spending a bit extra for the AWD if it will give me some added driving joy over the next decade that I plan to own the car. But if it really makes no difference on dry roads, then I don't want to just waste money. I would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've got my mind set on picking up a new S60 T5 soon. However, I'd like some advice on whether to get the FWD, or spend extra for the AWD. I live in northern California so snow isn't an issue here. If I got the AWD, it would purely just be for whatever added "fun" it may offer when driving on dry roads. I'm not that agressive a driver, but I do enjoy taking the occasional corner or freeway on-ramp with some gusto.

The dealer salesman has actually recommended that I shouldn't bother with the AWD, because he says I wouldn't notice it except during extremely aggressive driving. Unfortunately I don't have the confidence to push the car during test drives (it would take me a few months with the car to build that confidence), so I can't tell what that threshold is.

I don't mind spending a bit extra for the AWD if it will give me some added driving joy over the next decade that I plan to own the car. But if it really makes no difference on dry roads, then I don't want to just waste money. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Awd won't bring my to the table for you other that to help your launches. Unless you are a regular stop light racer, forget it. Spend the money on dynamic package or Njord wheels.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In your situation I would opt for the FWD version with Dynamic Package. Unless you plan on reselling the car withing a couple/three years with relatively low mileage the AWD option will probably not result in a significant advantage over the FWD. That is unless you intend to drive a lot in snow covered terrain.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I won't drive anything but AWD, but that's because of the horrible winter road conditions here. I frequently have to drive on snow and/or ice covered roads. If I lived in a more moderate climate, I would stay with either FWD or RWD, depending on the car. AWD weighs more and decreases fuel economy. I really don't see any reason you'd want AWD for California driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 My understanding is that Volvo's AWD is 95% front wheel biased until wheel slippage. Other options better use of money in CA.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
In your situation I would opt for the FWD version with Dynamic Package. Unless you plan on reselling the car withing a couple/three years with relatively low mileage the AWD option will probably not result in a significant advantage over the FWD. That is unless you intend to drive a lot in snow covered terrain.
Dynamic Package is no longer available for 2013MY, so upgrading to the Njord's or Sleipner's would be a good idea.

We went with AWD because we live in NJ and see snow/ice several times a year, but it also helps in rainy situations too. FWD would have been fine, but for only a 1-2MPG decrease we went with the AWD.

·
Registered
558 Posts

Save the $2000 and put it towards 18" wheels, spoiler, and dynamic suspension if you order a car. You will be happy with the FWD.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Save the $2000 and put it towards 18" wheels, spoiler, and dynamic suspension if you order a car. You will be happy with the FWD.
Dynamic suspension is gone for T5 FWD/AWD 2013MY (even if you custom/Overseas Delivery order), so he'd have to go the route of aftermarket springs/shocks (e.g. Heico).

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I would just go FWD. Another issue with AWD is the headache of a non-repairable flat. Depending on how worn the other tires are, you could be forced to replace the other 3 much earlier than needed.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
AWD also helps with traction when the roads are wet, even when that precipitation isn't frozen. Yes, it also improves handling on dry surfaces significantly. But, while I don't agree with the salesperson that you'd have to be driving aggressively, you would need to be taking curves near the car's limits. The FWD version already has high enough limits that it's usually not safe to do this on a public roadway. For instance, to be pushing the T5 FWD's limits (even with the touring chassis), you'd have to go fast enough that you won't be able to safely brake for emergency conditions that could occur on the other side of a blind curve. Maybe you can take a high-visibility on ramp more quickly if that's important to you. If you like to drive fast on twisty mountain roads and push the limits, it might be worth it to you.

AWD will give you more sporty character, but the FWD S60 is fine IMO. The only reason I'd go for AWD myself is because I do like to step on the gas at every stoplight and because I live in a climate with occasionally harsh winters.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Just go with FWD. Unless you're like those Californians that don't know how to drive when it rains (according to Inside Line), you're fine. Plus even with AWD, the car is still in a near FWD state all the time. It's not like BMW or Mercedes where it's rear biased AWD, unless there is slip. Volvo AWD is FWD biased.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
This is true, but a skilled driver can still push the AWD's limits just fine. You'll really only induce the very slightest lateral slide before DSTC corrects the yaw and the differential begins channeling power to the rear wheels. It's not even worth mentioning. The fact that Polestar didn't bother re-configuring the AWD system for their 508-hp S60 concept should tell you something.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The fact that Polestar didn't bother re-configuring the AWD system for their 508-hp S60 concept should tell you something.
Exactly.

I preferred AWD of the many miles driven in multiple cars during the purchasing phase. Just liked the surety, handling and launch of the AWD. Just point, stomp and hang on.

My T5 spins the wheels in sport mode with half throttle, from a stop or at 20-30 mph. Feels cool but doesn't do much for handling during launch or sudden roll-on punches. Car wears Michelin with standard suspension.

FWIW. Good luck.

·
Registered
14,016 Posts
Like everyone has indicated, you'd be fine with a FWD car.

Lighter, cheaper, less costly to maintain, FWD is fine for most climates and driving situations.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I traded in my Acura RL, which was AWD for a FWD 2012 T5. I really cannot tell much difference in terms of traction. The Volvo is just as good as my RL was in the snow and rain. I would go FWD and use the 2,000.00 for additional options or an extended overseas delivery

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I went from a modded FWD S60 T5 (300HP) to an S60R (see sig).

I would NEVER want FWD again! Even in summer months it's still a great benefit.
Do you get rain in NOCAL? Even in light rain you'll get wheel spin on any sort of hard acceleration with FWD.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
My 2cents is go with the FWD and use the money for other options like upgraded tires/wheels, PCC, BLIS, ABL and such.......I might feel differently when we get the occasional snowfall!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a T5. It's an awesome car. I've "learned" how to drive without AWD but i sure do miss it. Even the slightest wet road and I can all too easily spin the front wheels. If AWD was an option on the '12s I would have gotten in in a heart beat. NYC Metro area weather conditions.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts