SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, im hoping some more experienced 740 owners can help me out. I currently own a 88 740 wagon and im looking to find the best model/year combo for a new 740 wagon.... I like the last body style of the 90-92 but i dont really know what the best model is... are there any major changes electronicaly or in the engine that would be good to stay away from? problem features, ect? Also considering the turbo, my wagon is NA so i dont know alot about the turbo engines.... Price being not so mucjh of an object, what would be my optimum setup for daily driving? Thanks in advance for any info

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Buying a new 740 ?????? (endneu)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Graham.<p>Any year 740/940 wagon is a go if the car is fully cared for and has not seen rust or accident. Turbos are ok but need more care and are not needed for long-term daily-driving. One-owner perfect cars are out there but may require some search and distance feelers. My sources show two perfect one-owner 740 sedans in Texas now on the market. Wagons are not too easy to find. Even a nice '90-'93 245 would make a cool keeper. A late model 945 with third seat and full options is a luxury ride for cheap. All have the B230F 4-cylinder and with AT will get 17-19 city and 20-24 highway. Just paid $3.0199 for premium in central Texas.<p>Give us you max budget and max distance travel and we will go a'huntin'.<p>George Dill<p><br>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Buying a new 740 ?????? (gdill2)

Hey George, <br>What do your sources say for a turbo wagon up in Vancouver, BC?<p>lookin for a good/sporty wagon that would compliment my Jetta GTX.<p>My dad used to work for volvo and ALWAYS had a 740 in the driveway growing up

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Buying a new 740 ?????? (740TurboBOOST)

Ryan,<p>Any Volvos now?<p>Is this you on the video?<p><A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Whistler&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=ryan+mckeeman&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=m3&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=active" TARGET="_blank">http://www.google.com/search?a...ctive</A><p><br>George Dill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Buying a new 740 ?????? (endneu)

Well, in my personal opinion, if you really like the styling, and the functionality of the 740, but want the newest version of the 740 you really have only one choice.<p>1998-2000 V90<p>It's still boxy, roomy, and they've upgraded the luxury to a higher level. It remains front engine rear drive, and you don't have to worry about a Turbo, because the 24 Valve inline six cylinder is a reliable engine provided it's well maintained.<p>Think of the '98 V90 as the grown up 740 wagon. They're still very reasonable in price, and provided they're adequately maintained they'll run forever.<p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts