SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any known problems with the 2001 S60s? This car looks like a beauty, but is there anything to keep my eyes and ears open for?<p>It is in another state, so I won't get a mechanic's inspection prior to sale - normally I wouldn't do that, but I needed a manual car for my daughter, and they are hard to come by.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Buying a 2001 S60 T5 - anything to look out for (e1618978)

The biggest problem has been the ETM - Electronic Throttle Module. Made by Magnetti Marelli, it has been the curse of many Volvo owners. Check the forums for this, at least now Volvo has issued a 200,000 mile/10 year extended warranty.<p>I just recently purchased an '01 S60 T5 manual. Love it. ETM was replaced by first owner. At 96,000 miles, it will need new brake discs next brake job, but everything else is looking good. Does have a rattle in the headliner that drives me crazy, but my '96 850 had a rattle in the glovebox, so Volvo seems to have minor problems with trim rattles, IMO.<p>Have seen R owners complain about CD's getting stuck in the CD player, and having to wrranty replace the CD player, probably a newer radio, but don't know. My dealer told me that they had problems with Volvos in the late 90's or early 2000's with blown light bulbs, but didn't specify what model or year, but think it was the S70. <p>Another problem that is endemic to Volvo, not just the S60, is the engine mount on the top of the engine, known as the torque mount. ON the S60, it is an aluminum bracket, with a round rubber mount, and it bolts to the brace that goes across the engine compartment. That is really not a brace, just a fancy engine mount that allows side to side movement, and the rubber in the mount allows fore and aft movement. What happens is the round rubber mount goes bad, and you start to get vibration, particulary around idle. <p>Volve went toa different mount just recently, and is selling it as a replacement for older cars with the same aluminum mount on the head. This is the same shape bracket, but the rubber in the center is cross shaped, and the entire bracket must be purchased, instead of just the round mount. I just replaced this after buying my car. Took less than an hour, and involved removing the turbo pipe over the top of the engine, and then taking off the cover plate over the sparkplugs/coils because the cover blocks access to one of the 4 mounting bolts on the bracket. Installation is easy otherwise.<p>IPD and others sell replacement rubber mounts that can be mounted on the original bracket, you don't have to remove the bracket from the engine, just unbolt the mount from the top brace, and then slip a hacksaw blade into the mount, and cut out the mount's stell outer rim. Then put in the new mount and tighten the bolts. If you do this, you MAY get a bit more vibration, but won't ever have a mount go bad again. Given that the new bracket with the cross shaped mount is about $75 (VCOA discount at my dealer), I opted for the new updated version, not the aftermarket mount. My 850 has a similar mount, and it is equally prone to wearing out.<p>Barring normal wear and tear items (plugs, filters, etc) my '01 has been remarkably trouble free, and far better than I expected for a first year model. Others can chime in with their experiences. NOw, however, with the exception of the headliner rattle, the car seems as tight as the day it left the factory. I attrribute that to good build quality, and careful maintenance by the prior owner, something that has to be considered when buying.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
check the services of the car, you can request the history of the dealer visits. Also check if the car acelerate fine, nos issues like ETC. About the normall wear:<br>upper engine mount<br>shocks<br>check under the car for any oir leak<br>a/c<br>

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (volvos60t5x)

So I bought the car - it was pretty nice, except it looked like the lady that owned it wore rings and had long fingernails - she left a few marks on the aluminum trim and cup holder cover.<p>But for $12,900 it seemed like a pretty good deal.<p>Can somebody post a picture to show me where the ETM module is? I want to peek down to see if I have the white or yellow tag one. I have an appointment tomorrow with my mechanic to see if I made a bad call buying it or not, but I think it will turn out right.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (e1618978)

Right in the front of the engine, middle, straight behind the fan

·
Registered
773 Posts

ETM is on the bottom of the intake manifold. The hose from the intercooler winds its way to the ETM. On the T5, the air flow is over the engine to the passengers side of the car, then through the intercooler, to the driver's side, and then back to the ETM on the intake manifold. All you can see easily is the aluminum box sticking down from the manifold. If you have the newer version, the yellow tag will be easily visible.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
the ETM shoul be cleaned in every service at the dealer to keep it in good condition, remember that volvo need to do it, not particular mechanic.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Good luck with the car. Many people don't want a European car off-warranty, so they can be good deals.<p>In general, cars are more reliable than people think they are. More solid info to come.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Re: (mkaresh)

Solid?? yes!!! my car didnt have any problem all this time, i think i will keep it for long time, if i think to buy another car on the future, i will keep my T5 like my weekend toy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts