SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a clean well maintained wagon with records. Wagon has 80K. Clean inside and out. It qualifies for a bumper to bumper 4 yr warranty. Deductible is 250. Should I get the warranty?

Thank you

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well depends on price.. Depends on your skills and also how long you want to keep the car for.... I would read that warranty up and down, inside and out as somehow they never are good when you need it....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree about reading the whole plan and fine print of the warranty. I'm planning to keep the car till its unrepairable. Yes Im somewhat good with tools. Can do basic maintenance, ie brakes,tune up small stuff like that. I'm concerned about struts,angle gear and other things that could go wrong where a Tech is needed.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Radiator has been replaced. sorry for a noob question but I'm assuming they go bad? where do I buy aftermarket/performance rads? Sorry Im new to this..I'm more of a BMW guy

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Radiator has been replaced. sorry for a noob question but I'm assuming they go bad? where do I buy aftermarket/performance rads? Sorry Im new to this..I'm more of a BMW guy
Mine is leaking.... Sometimes. Sometimes I'll go through a gallon of coolant in a week, sometimes I'll not go through any for a couple months. It's weird.

You have to make sure that it covers the turbo, the engine itself, the AWD/trans, and the front AND rear suspension. Those are some of the most expensive things to repair, and the only reason to get a warranty. Everything else is little stuff, that can be done for relatively cheap or DIY.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Hell yes, if you can get a legit 4 yr bumper to bumper warranty on a 80K car (which I doubt by the way) it is a no brainer

More than likely it is a POS plan though

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
It does depend on the plan. If you are buying from the dealer, go straight to the service department and the cashier and see if they think it's worth the money since they are the ones who would deal with those warranties that they sell.

Internet warranties... caveat emptor (buyer beware).

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's a catch 22 with most of the companies - they don't give you the full contract until you've bought the warranty - but basically, if it's not listed in their list it ain't covered.
Most "bumper to bumper" cover just about everything except radiators. And what they call mechanical failures of components - so, lets say your door lock stop working, if the mechanism is shot - your covered, if the wire is worn and broken somewhere along the way, your SOL.
Most will specify where you take the car ("approved shops"), most won't let you do your own oil changes and they have to be reported or your warranty is void, etc etc etc.
If it helps you sleep better, get one. I ended up with one because my wife sleeps better. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Really depends how much the warranty costs, what it covers, and what kind of shape the car is in. Also depends where you intend to have any repairs done and what their hourly rate is. If you have a good independent shop that you trust the warrant has less value then if you plan to maintain it at the dealer for $120 per hour.

Also depends on your mechanical ability... The more you can do yourself the less value a warranty has.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I was in the same situation about 4 years ago. I opted not to take the dealer CPO warranty for an extra couple grand. For me it worked out. I also have a Indy that's been working on my car at $45/hour for the last 4 years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What shop, blurry?

Hi Blurry,

Sorry for the thread drift, but since you mentioned it, what independant does your work for you at $45/hour?

Thanks
Stephen

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hi Blurry,

Sorry for the thread drift, but since you mentioned it, what independant does your work for you at $45/hour?

Thanks
Stephen
PM sent.
- Ara

1 - 13 of 13 Posts