SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a 2000 V70R with 103,000 miles. It drives great. A new transmission was put in at 98000 miles, new bevel gear and timing belt at 89000.

There are two possible issues. At low speed the turbo makes a slight siren type whine. At WOT there is no noticeable lag or pickup.

Also, towards the rear there is a electronic whine type of noise. The pitch changes when you use the window buttons so I know it's electronic. Is this the Nivomat shocks?

Are these issues to be concerned about? I have seen the service records and anything that ever needed to be done since new was done at the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Nivomats are self leveling - no electronic input needed. They use the kinetic energy of the car bouncing up and down to raise the height when the rear is weighed down. When the weight is removed, they settle back to the proper height.

The sound you hear is probably the fuel pump. If its speed is changed by the power windows, I would look at checking the alternator, battery, and battery cables. (search voltage drop test, the cables are a common failure that cause electrical oddities)

My turbo has always made that siren noise, before and after being rebuilt. Never heard it on any other turbocharged car but my Volvo.

Nice find, getting one with a new trans and bevel! It should last you many fun years.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I will look into the battery cables.
Is there anything else common that I should look out for?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I can't speak for the siren noise of the 19T on a 2000R but the siren noise is pretty prevalent on my XC with the 15g upgrade+angled flange setup(the 15G was installed with unknown miles on it and since then I've put another ~37,000 miles on it).

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Neither should have a "siren" noise!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not really a siren noise. It is a whistle. I have head somewhat similar on my old 94 850 turbo but not quite as loud. Is it the larger turbo?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Yeah, I'd say whistle or howling noise. I can see how it could be perceived as a siren noise as the pitch increases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts