SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, quick bit of advice needed,<br>Drove a high mileage '00 S40 last night. All seems to be in order, nice car (black with black leather interior) BUT the engine at idle and low speeds sounds a bit "diesely".<p>Even the seller himself said he thought it was a bit loud, but that a main volvo dealer here in Ireland had told him that it was normal. Now, knowing some main dealers it's possible they just couldn't be bothered with a car 6years old.<p>Steering (I know they're prone to wear there) and suspension seem fine. Some suspension and steering components have been replaced recently. 100,000 miles on it. As there isn't much motorway in Ireland these would be tougher miles than is probably usual. To be honest, if I got another 50K miles out of it I would be happy at the price.<p>The car has recently passed the Nationl Car Test, our equivalent of the British MOT. So emissions, tracking, brakes etc are all OK. <p>Just to clarify, it's not a really loud diesel clatter, more of a tick-tick-tick-tick at idle, and maybe more of a tish-tish-tish at car park speeds.<p>My question - anyone with experience of these engines (1.8, of mitsubishi origin - NOT the previous Renault 1.8)? Can you confirm if they sound a bit tractorish? <p><br>Thanks folks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: buyer help 1.8 (Mitsubishi) noise (cargrouch)

OK, it seems the engine is probably coked up and is a bit tappety. It did seem a bit sooty alright.<br>Case closed I think

1 - 2 of 2 Posts