SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my R about 5 years ago, and I've been regretting it ever since. Been keeping my eyes on local classifieds from time to time in case something interesting came up.

That said, I looked at an 06 S60R today. It's not in pristine condition by any means, but could be an inexpensive way for me to get back into the R game, and could make for a fun toy and little project. I haven't driven it yet so I can't assess how it drives. I also have to ask about maintenance records, especially whether the timing belt was done.

Here are the details:

- 165k miles

- Automatic

- Body is in ok shape. One noticeable dent in a rear door, Could definitely use some paint correction that I'd do myself, a little bit of paint bubbling on the strip that goes across the roof.

- Interior seems average for the age and mileage. Definitely signs of use and wear on all seats.

- Bumper is cracked at the bottom, and does not mate completely flush to the fenders

- Passenger fog grille is missing

- Front radiator fins are bent pretty badly

- All wheels are curbed

- Absolutely needs new brakes all around

- Needs new tires all around

- Seller said it probably needs new shocks and struts, but no codes are showing on the dash. Wouldn't be surprised at the mileage though.

- Noticed oil on the underside of the oil pan and oil filter housing. Not sure if this is residual from an oil change, a cracked filter housing, or something else.

I'm thinking it could be more of a project than it's worth at this point. I might consider if I could get it for a steal though.

How much would you pay for this R???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Maybe they forgot or misapplied the oil filter canister O-ring.

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Ehh walk. That’s a 5k list of things to do by age mileage and condition. Plus 05 auto is the nail in the coffin. Keep hunting for a better example.

·
3,971 Posts
Auto with no history of being changed + original suspension = 2500 MAX

·
Registered
233 Posts
Drive it and see. Some of the cosmetic stuff says cheap fix to me (the front bumper may only need a $25 bumper slider assembly, the bubbling paint is on a plastic bit, and since you’re doing your own paint work...), and if the driver is right, a misplaced oil o-ring could be the culprit for the leak. Take your T25 bit with you to take a peek at the belts and a glove for the pcv if it drives fine. Don’t do this if it’s not local to you

2007 V70R Ti Grey Nordkap GT, 2008 C30R-Design Black M66

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
Auto with no history of being changed + original suspension = 2500 MAX
You're awfully generous

·
3,971 Posts

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
A little but it's an 06 so it's worth a look, if it was an AW55 I'd say 500$..
I missed the it's an 06 part.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s priced around $3k so I may have a shot at getting it for $2500. He seems willing to negotiate.

Seems like I need to put at least $1k into it between tires and brakes just to pass inspection. Then possibly another $200-$300 cosmetically to get it looking the way I’d want it for now.

So out the door(including taxes) I’m looking at about a $4000 expense to own this R if all else checks out.

Im thinking it might be worth it to spend a little more for a cleaner, lower mileage example

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bet it needs a new valve body too

·
Registered
110 Posts
That oil leak could be the cam seals, which means CVVT hubs as well. Mine had a similar looking leak.

·
Registered
951 Posts
$2.5k tops

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
1.5k-2k... has the valve body been changed?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
What matters is the panels and the interior... really. If the interior is trashed run away. The paint bubble on the roof trim isn’t a big issue... it’s plastic not like it’s metal rusting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd run..

·
Registered
17,568 Posts
Scan it too. 2500 seems ok if glove test and belts, history are fair to midland.

·
3,971 Posts
Very nice! /\

1 - 20 of 25 Posts