SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking at a 07 S60R that was rebuilt in Portland after insurance totaled it in California. The car now has a "reconstructed title" and is in Portland, OR.

The damage was on the front and hood, bumper, fenders and headlights were replaced. The front was painted. It is loaded with all the options. The Atacama leather was re-stained and it looks like new now. The car looks very good.

This is my first time buying a used car. I read a lot about inspections, checking Carfax, autocheck, etc.

What I'm looking for is your experience in buying a totaled/rebuilt R.

Any tips, advise, shared experiences are welcome.

If you can recommend a trustworthy place in Portland (OR) for mechanical inspection would be great. Same for a place where I can inspect the body work done.

Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking at a 07 S60R that was rebuilt in Portland after insurance totaled it in California. The car now has a "reconstructed title" and is in Portland, OR.

The damage was on the front and hood, bumper, fenders and headlights were replaced. The front was painted. It is loaded with all the options. The Atacama leather was re-stained and it looks like new now. The car looks very good.

This is my first time buying a used car. I read a lot about inspections, checking Carfax, autocheck, etc.

What I'm looking for is your experience in buying a totaled/rebuilt R.

Any tips, advise, shared experiences are welcome.

If you can recommend a trustworthy place in Portland (OR) for mechanical inspection would be great. Same for a place where I can inspect the body work done.

Thanks
I don’t have any technical answers, only opinions. I know exactly which car you are talking about and the dealership because I look at all of the rebuilt R’s that they sell.

Alot of the repairs they do look very good, but you won’t ever be able to resell the car for much.

If you like how it looks and drives and plan to run it to the ground, I would consider otherwise be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
No. I would stay the hell away from a previously totaled R unless its really that cheap (sub 2-3k regardless of year/trans/colors)...

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The big thing is to make sure it aligns. If thrust angle, camber or caster is way out then it affected the unibody and wasn't repaired right.

On the other hand these cars are easily totaled from cosmetic and surface damage, especially with the headlights. Most cars that rear-end someone are easily and completely fixable with bolt-on parts from a parts car, and it's like new again. Sounds like this is that car.

You will take a hit on resale value, but if you plan to keep the car a long time that shouldn't matter.

Here's an example of a totaled car that really shouldn't have been totaled and was fixed for under $300 in used parts with no structural damage whatsoever: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?428777-Quick-amp-Dirty-a-V50-project-for-a-great-kid

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've looked at cars at this dealer before. My impression is that the repairs are well done and the damages are fairly minor (replacing fenders, hoods, lights, etc), but the asking prices are more in line with cars with clean titles.

If you ask they can often send you photos from the insurance auction showing the damage to the vehicle before repair.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I own a 06 V70R GT that I bought from Copart with a rebuilt title with 106,000 miles This is my third V70R and by far the best I have ever owned. One owner car from South Carolina. No rust at all. The previous owner did very small damage to bumper only. The headlights seemed to have been stolen or taken out. You can find nice rebuilt caRs. These are the pictures from Copart.
I have completely replaced the entire suspension, brakes, added IPD track sways, Delrin subframe bushings, Snabb FMIC and cold air intake, 8Fab downpipe and Mototec toring ss exhaust, complete stage zero, timing belt, water pump, PVC complete, all new silicone hoses. This caR is so nice. If you can get one around 2-3 grand and invest in it you will have an excellent caR. So many on here buy an R around 8 to 10K and then need to invest alot of money into it. I have an excellent caR that is in excellent condition under what one would pay for an R that needs thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but the asking prices are more in line with cars with clean titles.
I got the pics for before and it was "minor", and yes the prices are of concern. I have not haggled with them but I think even for clean title the prices are $1000+ over the "excellent" on autotrader for my/their area.

If you have more experiences/comments/advise about the dealer please send them in (PM me if not for public posting). Thanks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about buying a wreck and fixing but although I have the ability and it would save a lot I really do not have the time to hunt for it nor fix it. Family needs a car soon and I'll not have time till next spring.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you guys know if it is possible for a Volvo dealer to look at a car service history performed at other Volvo dealers?

Maybe not comments but operations and parts used.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Do you guys know if it is possible for a Volvo dealer to look at a car service history performed at other Volvo dealers?

Maybe not comments but operations and parts used.

this depends on who is behind the counter, or other side of the phone. And how nice you are...
I've had a Volvo dealer whom told me because it was the previous owners information they could not provide paperwork but would answer maintenance questions. I had a jeep dealer who didn't care and printed everything out, name and all, and sent it home with me.(They even pulled records from other dealers)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good info. At least it is possible. I can talk to my service manager about it. A full record would be nice but I'm good even with a list of major/important items.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts