SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've noticed for a little while now, that after a 'spirited' drive, once the car is stopped in the garage there is a burning smell coming from the engine bay. Its reasonably strong but dissipates very quickly.

Engine is stock T6 with P* tune, just been serviced and has only done 37,000km (~ 23,000m).

Any ideas?

Obviously I'll get it looked at, just thought I would see if anyone else has experienced similar issue.

Cheers!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you sure it's not the smell of cooked brakes making its way in there? :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Why kind of burning smell? Like smoke, burning plastic, hot metal, oil, sweet coolant?

Just curious, did you look for leaves or something that may have made its way into the engine bay and is just stuck and getting crisped somewhere hot?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Last when I had exactly the same scenario you described, it was a clutch which packed up.

But I have since being told that in US you don't get the powershift semi automatic transmission (similar to VW DSG), instead you get the torque converters. So its difficult to say if its the same problem.

It cost 2100 USD to fix. and mind you I got no warning (lights in the instrument cluster) from the car except the red oil spots on my parking bay that prompted me to visit the dealer. The burning oil smell I always got it at when I stopped at the red lights or after parking every time after spirited driving.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are you sure it's not the smell of cooked brakes making its way in there? :D
Fair point but I live at the top of a very steep hill so unlikely.

Why kind of burning smell? Like smoke, burning plastic, hot metal, oil, sweet coolant?

Just curious, did you look for leaves or something that may have made its way into the engine bay and is just stuck and getting crisped somewhere hot?
I'm no expert on smoke smells I have no idea. Ill check for debris but its been consistent for sometime now. I don't drive very often so this might also be part of the problem.

Last when I had exactly the same scenario you described, it was a clutch which packed up.

But I have since being told that in US you don't get the powershift semi automatic transmission (similar to VW DSG), instead you get the torque converters. So its difficult to say if its the same problem.

It cost 2100 USD to fix. and mind you I got no warning (lights in the instrument cluster) from the car except the red oil spots on my parking bay that prompted me to visit the dealer. The burning oil smell I always got it at when I stopped at the red lights or after parking every time after spirited driving.
I live in Australia so I'm guessing we get the UK spec car here which has the Geartronic. There's certainly no oil under the car but I guess this is worth investigating. Car still has aftermarket warranty.

Thanks for your replies fellas.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I get the same thing after a spirited drive. It smelt like brakes, after I changed to Porterfield pads, it's not as obvious.

Sometimes I get a different smell, which is much more like transmission, it seems to only happen after aggressive launches. I've stopped that behaviour now haha

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll get the same thing from time to time, mine smells more like an exhaust leak coming up from under the car, only smell it with the windows down, I haven't lost any sleep over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts