SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Since I replace my factory DP with a 3" cat less about 2 yrs ago I always had some very mild exhaust smoke but over the last few months had gotten all bit worse. 2wks ago I changed the oil with Mobil 1 fully synthetic with Mann filter and the exhaust smoke has gotten much worse to the point it's not normal and embarassing.
The car is an 06 so it's almost 10yrs old and I've had it since 44k and mileage is about 95k.

I decided a good option and starting point is doing the PCV system so I ordered the IPD setup. If my crankcase pressure is high due to a clogged system would this cause oil to be pushed passed piston cyclinder seals and burned in the exhaust?

I need to look up install since I'm not familiar with the PCV system. How long/difficult is replacement for someone with little mechanical expertise?

Any other potential ideas or possibilities? Also any other replacements/cleanings/upgrades within reason while I'm doing this?

Thanks guys..

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Turbo seals? Check under the engine cover for oil and do the glove test for the PCV system. I'd say valve stem seals but at 95k it seems far fetched.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Check the PCV system with the glove test first to make sure you don't have crankcase pressure issues. If that looks good my first suspicion would be turbo seals at your mileage. After that it could be valve seals or piston rings, but if you take good care of the motor those hold up pretty well till high mileage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car runs great and has been well maintained since I got it at 44k.. I figured at this time the PCV install would be a good option whether it helped or not.. I also ran a seafoam tx through the gas and I always run 93..
I've seen several posts on the glove test but confused as to whether it needs to be the actual dipstick or the oil fill hole on top?
Run the car on idle with the glove one?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts