SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bumpers on my '64 Amazon need an upgrade, and I'm wondering if it makes more sense to have them rechromed or buy new bumpers. The rear bumper has no dents, but has lost some chrome to rust spots. The front has some dings and scratches, and one of the overriders is pretty beat up. I've never had anything rechromed, so have no idea about cost. I see stainless steel bumpers offered on eBay -- are they any good? I'd appreciate hearing about any experience with this issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Is this an all stock original car? (classic) I would look into keeping it original. There are places that can repair and rechrome bumpers. You'll have to do some research. just my two cents.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have heard that the Vietnamese stainless bumpers are crap. They're thin, and they don't fit. Chrome is expensive, but cheaper than new SS. I would investigate good chrome platers in your area (emphasis on the good).

Dan

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Good quality re chroming is quite expensive. I had an average quality (not show chrome) re chrome done on the door handles on my 1971 142. I completely disassembled the handles before shipping them off to the shop. The shop did some very minor smoothing before the re chrome. The result was good, has been durable; but, not perfect. The cost was around $ 125 - $150 as I recall. You can judge the likely cost to re chrome your bumpers using that as a basis. If you want the shop to repair the dents on your bumper and finish the surface that will add to the cost.

Scandcar was selling SS bumpers for the Amazon. I have no idea whether they sourced them externally or had them custom fabricated. Might be worthwhile checking out. The downside to SS is that while it can be polished up to a very nice finish, it does not look like chrome.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Chrome may be expensive (due to the toxicity of chromium and EPA regulations), but he certainly won't know until he gets a quote, will he? I know some guys go to Mexico where the laws (such as they are) aren't enforced as strictly as ours are--but I could never in good conscience recommend that.

I would only recommend SS bumpers if the re-chroming is prohibitively expensive. As I understand it, all of the vendors are sourcing their SS bumpers from Vietnam, which is why (in relative terms) they are so cheap.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Might be better off painting the originals with that spray can chrome. That's based on the looks of the repo bumpers my cousin got for a 67 Chevelle. Didn't fit right and looked like crap.
Can't image the Volvo ones would be better since it's got to be a much smaller market.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone know of a source for Station Wagon rear Bumperettes/Over riders ? I have the basis for a build from a flawless P130 rear bumper. Have had a hard time watching eBay occasionally for them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have seen decent ones on ePay several times during the past six months or so. An alternative is Joe Lazenby at Susquehanna Spares He has most stuff in stock. Finally, both iRoll Auto (California central valley) and X-Ray Auto (Portland, Oregon) buy old Amazons and part them out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got a complete front bumper, suitable as-is for a nice DD or for re-chromming. It is dent free with some loss of chrome.
I also have a rear setup, similar in appearance but with some small dents and a bit more chrome loss.
Plenty of bumperettes in various conditions from slightly dented to almost perfect, but no SW rears...
I am unaware of any repos that come close to the originals in heft or shine.
Plenty of high quality reasonably priced chroming options in MA and northern NE...
Gibbsart, did you satisfy your need for spacers for the Lagunas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
northNH, I've got a set of 5/16" spacers, which will place the Laguna wheels at stock offset, and should be enough to solve the occasional rubbing on hard cornering. I can't use the spacers with the stock lugs, but will install longer ones next time I do a brake job.

There's a rechroming shop not far from me, in southern New Hampshire, and I'll take my bumpers there when the time comes to have them improved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts