SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Perhaps someone with technical knowledge could elaborate as to whether the upgrades actually require any more chips than would have otherwise been incorporated absent the upgrades. That said the chip manufacturers have certainly had enough time now to respond to the issues that initiated the shortage many months ago and presumably alternative sources may well now be more readily available to Volvo. Volvo's ties to China might well be a plus in that department as well as I know when I most recently visited Shanghai there was a big push to increase China's presence in
technology related manufacturing areas that presumably would include chips.
Elaborating on my earlier comment regarding Volvo's "ties to China might well be a plus in that department [access to chips] " there are some interesting comments about China as a chip manufacturer contained in the following linked article that focuses on the global access to chips.

Everything you wanted to know about the Chip supply crises

·
Registered
66 Posts
Elaborating on my earlier comment regarding Volvo's "ties to China might well be a plus in that department [access to chips] " there are some interesting comments about China as a chip manufacturer contained in the following linked article that focuses on the global access to chips.

Everything you wanted to know about the Chip supply crises
For anyone actually taking the time to read the rather lengthy article subject of my offered link addressing the subject of microchip manufacture and supply, may I add a personal note. The article references a Mr. Morris Chang who was instrumental in development of the first semiconductor chips at Texas Instruments in the 1960s. As chance would have it, my cousin was also working there when I visited him at Texas Instruments while attending the 1966 National Science Fair that was held in Dallas, Texas. He showed me the chip they were working on. Little did I imagine how that item would end up impacting the world.

(The article goes on to describe how Mr. Chang left Texas Instruments when he saw his path to promotion impeded and ended up founding TSMC, the largest chip manufacturer in the world in Taiwan.)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That is encouraging. At least it indicates that manufacture and production of U.S. models will not be held up just because of awaited EPA and/or CARB certifications. Years ago Mercedes would wait almost an entire year after their availability in Europe before bringing a new model to the U.S. The rationale at the time was that they wanted to make sure the new model had all the problems worked out before exporting the car overseas. Apparently in today's global market that has gone by the wayside.
I don't think Volvo would maintain production with old+new battery & ERAD. I just don't think you'll see it published in NA sites until vehicles have already crossed the ocean.

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
'19 XC90 T6 + '19 XC60 T8
127 Posts
I don't think Volvo would maintain production with old+new battery & ERAD. I just don't think you'll see it published in NA sites until vehicles have already crossed the ocean.
Agreed. It appears that this battery capacity increase is driven to european regulations removing incentives from PHEV having electrical range <50km WLTP. I think full production transition will occur within 2022 and very likely the US will get it in 2023.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Agreed. It appears that this battery capacity increase is driven to european regulations removing incentives from PHEV having electrical range <50km WLTP. I think full production transition will occur within 2022 and very likely the US will get it in 2023.
Yes and no. My understanding of rkuehn's post was that the timing of production of U.S. spec cars with the new battery capacity will be identical to that for European cars, just that it will not be announced in the U.S. until those cars arrive in the U.S. I agree with his observation that Volvo will not be maintaining both the old and new battery once the new battery becomes available for placement in the vehicles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Perhaps this is redundant, but since the European Volvo dealers are already taking orders for Recharge vehicles equipped with the new battery we are looking at a mid 2022 model year change over date which is expected to take place in late November, 2021. Now if Volvo U.S.A. wants to call its allotment to arrive in early 2022 as 2023 models that would certainly be a possibility but it would be contrary to past practices with regard to mid year model changes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Perhaps this is redundant, but since the European Volvo dealers are already taking orders for Recharge vehicles equipped with the new battery we are looking at a mid 2022 model year change over date which is expected to take place in late November, 2021. Now if Volvo U.S.A. wants to call its allotment to arrive in early 2022 as 2023 models that would certainly be a possibility but it would be contrary to past practices with regard to mid year model changes.
To elaborate, here are some of my added thoughts from another somewhat related thread, but addressing the availability in the U.S. issue specifically:

Once the line starts producing the Recharge models with the 18kWHr batteries they are not going to continue making the old version if past practice is predictive. Yes, it is possible that one market may go without any Recharge cars at all for some period of time, but dealers in the U.S., as elsewhere, are clamoring for new product so that does not seem likely. With current chip shortages and other supply issues it is not as if a plethora of vehicles with the current hybrid battery are going to be sitting in inventory at the factory or elsewhere to meet the market demand in the U.S. to be released from current production prior to the November changeover date.

The only delays may relate to awaiting any updated EPA certifications but at least in the past that has not stopped Volvo from manufacturing the vehicles and shipping them to the U.S. where they wait at port or at a supply location before being released to dealers.

The other intangible against Volvo USA holding out the 18kWHr battery equipped models as a MY23 designation, is that reportedly Volvo really wants to have its completely new Recharge XC90 successor designated as a 2023 model that will become available sometime in 2022 assuming the U.S. factory (where it will be built) can get on line.

·
Registered
1998 Volvo S70 T5
28 Posts
May or may not be related, but as I've been trying and waiting to place my OSD order for an MY22.5 S60 P*, it seems that Volvo Cars US is busy updating their order placement process for OSD, and that's the reason why I haven't been able to place my order as of yet. My dealer did say that it should be up and running if not this week, then next week, and so at that point I may be able to place the OSD order. I would like to think that this updating has at least something to do with the mid-year refresh, but that may also be wishful thinking! :unsure:

·
Registered
66 Posts
May or may not be related, but as I've been trying and waiting to place my OSD order for an MY22.5 S60 P*, it seems that Volvo Cars US is busy updating their order placement process for OSD, and that's the reason why I haven't been able to place my order as of yet. My dealer did say that it should be up and running if not this week, then next week, and so at that point I may be able to place the OSD order. I would like to think that this updating has at least something to do with the mid-year refresh, but that may also be wishful thinking! :unsure:
I believe someone here reported that AdTravel is not scheduling any OSD trips for the balance of this year but hopes that Sweden will once again allow travelers from the U.S. at the beginning of 2022. Does this dyanamic effect what you are trying to arrange for your OSD? In any event it may have something to do with placement of OSD orders in general?

·
Registered
1998 Volvo S70 T5
28 Posts
I believe someone here reported that AdTravel is not scheduling any OSD trips for the balance of this year but hopes that Sweden will once again allow travelers from the U.S. at the beginning of 2022. Does this dyanamic effect what you are trying to arrange for your OSD? In any event it may have something to do with placement of OSD orders in general?
I'm not entirely sure, but then there seem to be more questions than answers, even from my dealer. Volvo Cars US hasn't released too many (if any) details regarding any MY 22.5 updates. The building and delivery of the actual car shouldn't have an impact on travel now, especially since Sweden isn't allowing US travelers to enter, and the car itself is built here in the US. I would imagine it would just be a case of building it in late November, sending it to me maybe late January, and then having AdTrav arrange the travel portion of the OSD for sometime in 2022 well after I've received my car. If I understood correctly, the only S60s that are able to be ordered now are the B5 trims. No word yet on the T8 or P*.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, but then there seem to be more questions than answers, even from my dealer. Volvo Cars US hasn't released too many (if any) details regarding any MY 22.5 updates. The building and delivery of the actual car shouldn't have an impact on travel now, especially since Sweden isn't allowing US travelers to enter, and the car itself is built here in the US. I would imagine it would just be a case of building it in late November, sending it to me maybe late January, and then having AdTrav arrange the travel portion of the OSD for sometime in 2022 well after I've received my car. If I understood correctly, the only S60s that are able to be ordered now are the B5 trims. No word yet on the T8 or P*.
Thanks for clarifying that the car you are ordering is not being manufactured in Sweden. My comments may only be applicable to those Recharge vehicles manufactured on the line in Gothenburg. Is the S60P manufactured only in the U.S. and is it a model that the European Customers can presently order with the upgraded battery to then by shipped from the U.S. to Europe?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I usually only charge at night. Why 5hr is a problem? And it is not like charging 2hr is not enough to start a long trip.
The flexibility of having fast charging is very important, especially for a premium brand IMO, even if you charge your car at home overnight 95% of the time.

·
Registered
1998 Volvo S70 T5
28 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that the car you are ordering is not being manufactured in Sweden. My comments may only be applicable to those Recharge vehicles manufactured on the line in Gothenburg. Is the S60P manufactured only in the U.S. and is it a model that the European Customers can presently order with the upgraded battery to then by shipped from the U.S. to Europe?
Based on what the tops at Volvo Cars said a last week, the S60 Recharge cars are among the ones that will include the upgraded battery. They said that they are now able to be ordered and will delivered to customers Q1 2022. That applies for the T8 models, which I would imagine include the P* even if its a slightly higher trim than a T8. European Volvo sites seem to be updated to reflect the changes, and so I can imagine that is why they are able to order it. The US site and ordering process I believe is still being updated, and so might be the reason why we're not yet able to order anything other than a B5. I believe the S60 is now only manufactured in Ridgeville, South Carolina and so it should be available to European customers to order now, if not soon.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts