SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the info. Any news on if the onboard charger will be updated with the bigger battery? Same charging speed with a 60% bigger battery will mean some pretty long charge times.
It’s still a 3.5kW charger, but it’s capable of charging up to 420V.

·
Registered
'19 XC90 T6 + '19 XC60 T8
127 Posts
While auto chips may not be advanced, chip makers have a certain production output capacity. If one has to split resources/output from advance chips and lesser ones...bc of demand and shortages...it would still be a issue due to only 2 manufactures in the world. Wouldn't that be a correct assumption?
No it doesn't work that way at all. Output cannot be shifted between technologies without major reinvestments and qualification times. They are for the most part not even within the same companies.

·
Registered
1998 Volvo S70 T5
28 Posts
T6 and T8 recharge models remain mechanically unchanged from previous models apart from the deletion of the supercharger. They are both still ‘Generation 2’ engines using the old gearbox and aren’t adopting changes since released to the mild-hybrid engines
I'm sorry, I've been trying to keep up with the fantastic news of the upgraded battery, but I've not seen where the T8 Recharge models no longer have a supercharger? Where does the power to make it 455 hp come from? I was under the impression that the only changes to the actual ICE was T5 and T6 were to become B5 and B6 respectively, but that the T8 would remain unchanged from previous years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for all the informed responses to my questions.

Last night I plowed through all of the recent articles I could find on the internet relating to the upgraded powertrain. Here are a few published comments that may be responsive to questions above. Obviously can't vouch for their accuracy.

Regarding charging time:
"Volvo does not give any information about the charging power in the announcement. Until now, the SPA models have only supported single-phase charging at 3.7 kW. With the new 18.8 kWh battery, this would result in a charging time of over five hours, and with 2.3 kW at an earthed socket, over eight hours." (elective.com)

Regarding availability for the U.S. market:
"Availability in the U.S. market is yet to be announced but we'll likely see the changes introduced locally for the 2022 model year." (motorauthority.com)
"The information regarding the new powertrains for the 60 and 90 series Volvo Cars was first released by Volvo's Belgian division, but the setup will be offered across Europe. Customers in the U.S. could get then with the 2022 model year of these vehicles. (auto evolution.com)

(FWIW, Volvos being currently produced for the U.S. are now in the 2022 model year.)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Is there a challenge/complication with going from 16 amps to 24 or 32 that Volvo would want to avoid, even with upgraded battery?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Because the added capacity may not come in the form of added cells which would enable more parallel charging, I would speculate that it could significant degrade the battery endurance. I am not quite sure what Volvo is referring to with the added layer as it could point to many things... Layer of cell? Layer of electrode material?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I usually only charge at night. Why 5hr is a problem? And it is not like charging 2hr is not enough to start a long trip.
i have a T8 XC90 and to get 20 miles in pure takes 2 hours, that is too long for me i realize now, i added an L2 charger in my garage which is sooo much better them overnight charging to ger 20 miles in pure... i think it all depends on your usage of the car, i do tend to use the car for around 60 to 70 miles a day since working from home now, kids school pickups, dropoffs, and other actives are a lot of stops and go drives... so i always plug the car in when i come back home, i wish the charger was minium 32 amp so you could get back on the road with 20 miles pure in less than an hour.

the new models will be great! i didn't hear anywhere anything about the new models coming out, a well-kept secret from Volvo cars on this update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This may have already been shared, but the UK site has some new details that correspond with the latest announcement:
  • Up to 79 km range (projected WLTP)
  • Optimized one-pedal drive functionality
Automotive tire Font Watch Silver Body jewelry

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I wonder if we'll see updates to drive mode settings, ability to default to EV vs. hybrid, etc.?

Toyota's PHEV controls include EV, EV Auto, and Hybrid; EV Auto supposedly toggles between EV and Hybrid as needed, maybe that's a half-step that Volvo is missing?

"Auto HV/EV button cycles through hybrid and electric modes automatically, depending on how you drive"

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
I wonder if we'll see updates to drive mode settings, ability to default to EV vs. hybrid, etc.?

Toyota's PHEV controls include EV, EV Auto, and Hybrid; EV Auto supposedly toggles between EV and Hybrid as needed, maybe that's a half-step that Volvo is missing?

"Auto HV/EV button cycles through hybrid and electric modes automatically, depending on how you drive"
Volvo Pure mode is same.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have a T8 XC90 and to get 20 miles in pure takes 2 hours, that is too long for me i realize now, i added an L2 charger in my garage which is sooo much better them overnight charging to ger 20 miles in pure... i think it all depends on your usage of the car, i do tend to use the car for around 60 to 70 miles a day since working from home now, kids school pickups, dropoffs, and other actives are a lot of stops and go drives... so i always plug the car in when i come back home, i wish the charger was minium 32 amp so you could get back on the road with 20 miles pure in less than an hour.

the new models will be great! i didn't hear anywhere anything about the new models coming out, a well-kept secret from Volvo cars on this update.
Your comment made me realize that with my driving pattern I don't need more than 20 miles of range, I need faster charging to top up the range quicker.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Maybe hasn't gotten through the regulatory approvals yet? So it may only show up in 2023?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I wonder why Volvo isn't saying anything in the U.S. about this. Nothing on the U.S. website about it.
The US seems to lag Europe's first release of XC90s by ~6(?) months, whether it's OSD or marketing materials.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tend to agree with rafale77's suggestion that it's (at least) partly regulatory. My 2022 XC T8, which was a new drivetrain configuration, sat in Newark for five weeks AFTER being unloaded waiting for EPA and CARB (California Air Resources Board) certification before they could process and sticker it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Upgraded battery & ERAD probably won't reach NA until Jan-Feb? Doubt you'll see any changes to what's published until vehicles arrive and early-MY22 are gone/marked down severely (or price hike for late-MY22?).

Depending on timeline for MY23, maybe that's when upgrades reach NA? But even typically-early production for early-MY23, say week 17, is still production NET end-April, maybe reach NA early-summer...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I tend to agree with rafale77's suggestion that it's (at least) partly regulatory. My 2022 XC T8, which was a new drivetrain configuration, sat in Newark for five weeks AFTER being unloaded waiting for EPA and CARB (California Air Resources Board) certification before they could process and sticker it.
That is encouraging. At least it indicates that manufacture and production of U.S. models will not be held up just because of awaited EPA and/or CARB certifications. Years ago Mercedes would wait almost an entire year after their availability in Europe before bringing a new model to the U.S. The rationale at the time was that they wanted to make sure the new model had all the problems worked out before exporting the car overseas. Apparently in today's global market that has gone by the wayside.

141 - 160 of 173 Posts