SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was spec‘Ing a build with my military oconus dealer and they mentioned that

"Volvo is upgrading batteries which is moving any new orders back to November and beyond."

I reached out to see if there was further information on Kwh change (above the current 11.6kwh), but has anyone heard anything else?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was spec‘Ing a build with my military oconus dealer and they mentioned that

"Volvo is upgrading batteries which is moving any new orders back to November and beyond."

I reached out to see if there was further information on Kwh change (above the current 11.6kwh), but has anyone heard anything else?
I don't know about the 2022, which would be the last year for the SPA model. Next generation (2023) SPA2, will most definitely have a increase in range just to be competitive.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next generation (2023) SPA2, will most definitely have a increase in range just to be competitive.
Seriously. They need to be a lot more than just competitive. Especially with the new NX coming out.

Just got a reply to my clarification. I’m guessing the week 46 switchover?

Me:Has there been any guidance on the size of the new batteries? Current T8 batteries are 11.6kwh.
Her: No guidance other than batteries will be changed around November.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There’s a 60% bigger battery and 40% more power out of the electric axle

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Where do you think battery will be located?

Just extrapolating, high 20s or 30 mile range?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Where do you think battery will be located?

Just extrapolating, high 20s or 30 mile range?
In the same place, just a denser pack. And about +20mi of range (high 40’s overall)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
In the same place, just a denser pack. And about +20mi of range (high 40’s overall)
Oh now I see MY22. That’s a big change mid-MY - I’ve already seen a few 22s on lots

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh now I see MY22. That’s a big change mid-MY - I’ve already seen a few 22s on lots
From time to time powertrain updates are moved to the fall cycles, so that the spring release can focus on the MY/feature releases and have them ironed out before updates to the hybrid systems which are normally a bit intensive

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is absolutely exactly what I was hoping for. 40ish miles on electric is just what I need. Is this speculation, insider info or has it been mentioned somewhere?

If this becomes official, I’ll definitely hold off on my order for it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Seriously. They need to be a lot more than just competitive. Especially with the new NX coming out.

Just got a reply to my clarification. I’m guessing the week 46 switchover?

Me:Has there been any guidance on the size of the new batteries? Current T8 batteries are 11.6kwh.
Her: No guidance other than batteries will be changed around November.
I agree, BMW X5 PHEV is 30+ miles. The NX is a smaller class car than XC90, someone shopping for NX probably wont be comparing it to a XC90 and vice versa. The RX which is due to be redesigned in 2022 is more a competitor to XC90, and will most definitely have a PHEV powertrain that can achieve high 35+ miles. In addition Lexus RX will probably have a usable 3rd row to be competitive this time around as well.

While 40+ miles on a XC90 PHEV would be nice, IMHO, i seriously doubt Volvo can achieve that range without some sacrifice in design/performance or using a comparably larger battery pack. Toyota pretty much has the efficiency design perfected with its hybrid planetary gear system.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
60% more capacity can only support 60% more range. So total around 30miles.
40% more ERAD horsepower is very nice. This makes me want to upgrade, but I will resist. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The NX is a smaller class car than XC90, someone shopping for NX probably wont be comparing it to a XC90 and vice versa.
You're right. I'm cross shopping the phev NX against the XC60T8. They are almost identical in size.

60% more capacity can only support 60% more range. So total around 30miles.
What if they've increased the efficiency?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My impression has been that next gen XC90 would upgrade battery, ERAD, and add 2”. Nothing much else beneath the surface.

I wonder if that 2” allows battery to grow in size, either remaining in a longer armrest/tunnel or moving rearward and/or to floor?

I vaguely recall next gen was to arrive this fall for MY22, so one year early vs. 7 year cycle. Now kicked out a year. I wonder if the battery and ERAD that were planned are these upcoming changes are what had been planned all along, and what follows for next gen MY23 is even more battery capacity, maybe moved, plus superficial/cosmetic redesign?

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
You're right. I'm cross shopping the phev NX against the XC60T8. They are almost identical in size.

What if they've increased the efficiency?
E motor efficiency is already quite good. Even it is improved huge from 80% to 90%, it is from 30 to 33.75 miles.

For NX and other Toyota cars, I'd check out their crash test result first.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any way to request and confirm that the upgraded battery will be included in a XC90 Recharge model scheduled for Overseas Delivery pick up in mid November?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any way to request and confirm that the upgraded battery will be included in a XC90 Recharge model scheduled for Overseas Delivery pick up in mid November?
The info I just got from my osd person when I asked for it is that the earliest the new battery will be included is week 48 build. That means it wouldn't even be ready for pickup until early Jan at the soonest.
That's not taking into account the fact they just halted production....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The info I just got from my osd person when I asked for it is that the earliest the new battery will be included is week 48 build. That means it wouldn't even be ready for pickup until early Jan at the soonest.
Do we know capacity of the new battery? Presumably US Federal tax credit for 2022 delivery will also bump up vs. 2021?

Regardless, still hope next-gen moves the battery out of the armrest.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do we know capacity of the new battery? Presumably US Federal tax credit for 2022 delivery will also bump up vs. 2021?

Regardless, still hope next-gen moves the battery out of the armrest.
Anything over 16ish kWh hours gets the full 7500 (provided you have that much in tax liability). With the anticipated 60% increase as stated above it should be eligible for the entire thing, plus state incentives

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Anything over 16ish kWh hours gets the full 7500 (provided you have that much in tax liability). With the anticipated 60% increase as stated above it should be eligible for the entire thing, plus state incentives
Yep expecting the same.

Next question is whether this is the battery bump that was anticipated for next gen, which was originally due this fall? Does that mean that this new battery tech simply migrates as-is to next gen, remaining in armrest?

Or does then denser capacity move out of armrest, to another location that permits a physically larger battery (and even more capacity)?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep expecting the same.

Next question is whether this is the battery bump that was anticipated for next gen, which was originally due this fall? Does that mean that this new battery tech simply migrates as-is to next gen, remaining in armrest?

Or does then denser capacity move out of armrest, to another location that permits a physically larger battery (and even more capacity)?
For anything on SPA1, it will always be under the armrest. It’s a bit late in a platform to be reworking the platform for batteries elsewhere (hence the 48V shacking up with the spare wheel)

It’s literally just a denser battery to increase the capacity (+25kg)

1 - 20 of 175 Posts