SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a MY82 240 wagon GLT. When I apply the brakes the bulb failure warning light comes on. I checked my brake lights and they are working properly.. Any suggestions to why I am getting the false indication? Thanx for your feedback<BR>Stefan

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
i got that happening, but only for 1 or 2 secs. the way that bulb falure system works is, by mesureing how many amps or whatever the lights use. so say the cars lights are pulling 12 amps, and a light goes out the system regonisers that it is't useing the same number of amps. so light comes on.<BR> this ist fully corect but a baic undersatnding of how it works.. so basicly, it is possibly to use a globe that is't the right wattage..<BR>good luck.<P>michael.<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I had that problem also, and that's exactly what it was. I'd had a burnt taillight and replaced it, without replacing the other. There was different resistance between the old bulb on the right and the new bulb on the left, so the indicator stayed on. I think it was towermt or volvorules (one of the users here)who suggested I replace the other old bulb (the one that was still working, and corresponded to the new bulb). I did that and voila! no more indicator light. Just remember to replace your bulbs in pairs.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I remember my dad telling me about a brand new 240 Turbo that had the bulb failure light on when all bulbs were good (around '81/'82 when he worked for Don Beyer). They went through a box of bulbs looking for two with the same resistance so that the light would go off. Eventually one of the other guys he worked with had to do something like replace resistors to desensitize the system so that the light wouldn't come on. I believe the documentation was sent in to Volvo and a service bulletin was created as a result of this problem and his work to fix it.<P>I've never liked it, especially when it starts blinking in sync with the turn signals.<P>

·
Registered
683 Posts
One other thing to check, if the bulbs are the same age, is that you don't have any corrosion in any of the bulb sockets. A touch of oxidation on one of the terminals is all it takes to trip that thing.<P>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx for all the replies. Looks like I'll have to make sure the bulbs are identical and in good shape.. Thanx again.<BR>Stefan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts