SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD 2008
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

So for a while ago I started to receive '' Bulb failure Dipped beam '' message on dashboard of my 08 XC90 3.2 with active bi-xenon headlight.

I looked for the right bulb and bought it which was Osram 66140 D1S 35W and installed it, it was easy and nothing weird with that. But after installation the bulb didn't work and the message still on. High beam works fine as well as the left signal so I think the light assembly is connected fine, but I'm wondering if is it a fuse that can be burned out? If so where should I find that fuse?

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's your ballast, and not your bulb.

Those aren't cheap, atleast the OEM ones.
There are aftermarket ones you can find on amazon/eBay that will get your bulb to light up BUT it won't be able to give it enough juice and your light color will be yellowish instead of white (lower temp).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had a similar issue until I replaced both globes. Was worried it was ballast as one globe was flickering. Replaced one globe and still got warning. Replaced both new hew HID globes and all warnings are gone and light is perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello there!

So for a while ago I started to receive '' Bulb failure Dipped beam '' message on dashboard of my 08 XC90 3.2 with active bi-xenon headlight.

I looked for the right bulb and bought it which was Osram 66140 D1S 35W and installed it, it was easy and nothing weird with that. But after installation the bulb didn't work and the message still on. High beam works fine as well as the left signal so I think the light assembly is connected fine, but I'm wondering if is it a fuse that can be burned out? If so where should I find that fuse?
Please do post an update once you figure out what's wrong.

Will definitely be useful for others later.

Hope you get a fix soon, good luck !

·
Registered
Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD 2008
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a similar issue until I replaced both globes. Was worried it was ballast as one globe was flickering. Replaced one globe and still got warning. Replaced both new hew HID globes and all warnings are gone and light is perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for your response, wht do you mean by globes? Bulbs?

Because I've already replaced passenger side bulb which was working but very low light so after replacing it it works fine now but the driver side bulb didn't work after replacing the bulb.

·
Registered
Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD 2008
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please do post an update once you figure out what's wrong.

Will definitely be useful for others later.

Hope you get a fix soon, good luck !

Thank you for reply, yea I'll update once I figure out what the issue and fixing it.

One thing I'm thinking about which I noticed while replacing the driver side bulb that there was a kind of brown liquid which looks like a burned engine oil stained and stuck on the hole there you put your bulb into, I'm wondering what could that liquid be?
I tried to clean it with my hand but it seems to be really stuck there so should I try clean this first? Before give a judgement on the ballast?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thank you for reply, yea I'll update once I figure out what the issue and fixing it.

One thing I'm thinking about which I noticed while replacing the driver side bulb that there was a kind of brown liquid which looks like a burned engine oil stained and stuck on the hole there you put your bulb into, I'm wondering what could that liquid be?
I tried to clean it with my hand but it seems to be really stuck there so should I try clean this first? Before give a judgement on the ballast?
The brown liquid : could you by any chance take a picture of it and post it here ?
It could be one of many things : ( I am speculating here based on your description, highly unlikely it is oil there) -

1. Burnt out Bulb residue ( bulbs may burn out due to failed ballast, rare but happens)
2. Failed seals on the head lamps, as the assembly tends to get hot due to high temp of the xenon gas discharge lamps random foreign contaminant could have melted
3. Failed seals on the ballast and/control module (very less likely) letting foreign contaminants in.
4. Old oil from a mechanics glove who serviced the headlamps on your car at some point

Testing the ballast: it is very simple. Swap the ballasts between the driver and passenger side and see if the other side lights up or not. That's how I had figured out my ballast was bad before ordering a new one. I believe the OEM ballast is made by Mitsubishi.

I have a P3 S80 V8 with bi-xenon and needed to take out whole assembly to change out the bulb (no way around it) so I assume the ballast swap is easy. I am afraid I am not familiar with XC90 bulb replacement procedure but interchanging the ballasts is the best way to reach a sure shot diagnosis.

I know it is not the control module because a failed control module will give you a headlight service message while the bulb will still continue to function.

When a bulb on these bi-xenon systems don't function, in my experience, it is either the bulb itself or the ballast. There is no other failure mode, except for damaged wiring harnesses or damaged headlight assembly, which I am hoping isn't the case. As you have ruled out the bulbs, rule out the ballast in a similar fashion and you will know for sure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Stating the obvious - but check the wiring/connections. I once went through the drill w/ warnings, almost did ballast, then found a half-unconnected connector. Simple fixes are so rare, I think that's my quota for my lifetime.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Could the "oil" have come from the ballast? I don't know about these lights, but flourescent ballasts and other transformer type devices often expel oily stuff when they fail.

·
Registered
Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD 2008
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello everyone,

An update about the dipped beam issue I'm my 08 volvo xc90, it turns out that the ballast worn out or some how is not working so I had to buy a new one not original, I found a ballast in amazon for 25 $ and I wanted to give it a shot with before buying original which is much more expensive. I installed the new ballast and it works fine now.

Thanks for everyone!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello everyone,

An update about the dipped beam issue I'm my 08 volvo xc90, it turns out that the ballast worn out or some how is not working so I had to buy a new one not original, I found a ballast in amazon for 25 $ and I wanted to give it a shot with before buying original which is much more expensive. I installed the new ballast and it works fine now.

Thanks for everyone!
Nice! Glad you got that ironed out.

Somethings to remember on these ABL HID units :

1. If new bulbs don't work, then it's the ballast
2. If bulbs work by you get headlamp service reqd. message then it's the controller of the ABL
3. If the ballast/controller fails then it may allude to a compromised weather seal on the headlamp. I recommend doing a thorough inspection of the seals around the lens and the back cover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts