Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to swedespeed
I am also new to Volvo
I purchased S40 T5 AWD 6 speed this weekend
It is my first Volvo.
I plan on building it into a track car for the 24 hours of lemons
The car got T-boned and will not ever be fit for the street. (wheels are straight )
I was wondering if anyone has built a track car and what upgrades they did (endurance race mostly interested in cooling)
Has anyone ever taking their car on the track? If so how is it?
Also the car has 160,000 on it seems to run great .. what problems do these cars have at such high mileage?

Also full interior and any parts that do not effect the drivability of the car are for sale

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Man, this is great news. Where are you located?

For endurance you will need to look at brakes. The intercooler sucks and will probably soak. There are a few low $ options for cheap race parts that are starting to pop up including suspension parts.

Best of luck!

Subscribed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Located: Long Island, New York
What do your recomend for the brakes? Intercooler?
Suspention?

I was planing on running brake cooling vents and upgrading the pads (havnt looked into pads yet)

Also i was planning on a big oil cooler (ebay special)

Ive never owned or been in a volvo so any recommendations will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Cheap parts
intercooler $90 ebay plus coulplers $30
Rotors ebay <$300
Depending on how close you are to the $ limit, bump stops and struts.
Tires! Really good tires!

You should be pretty close to the lemons limit there.
Maybe a test pipe in place of the cat too.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Hopefully you have the 320 mm front rotors already. If you don't you'll need to get them.
Quad is correct, make that intercooler efficient as you can.
Do something with the large rear bushing on the front control arms. Poly or Delrin.
What's the $$ limit these days?

I'll take the overhead console if yours still has all the clips in tact. PM me.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. LeMons sounds like a ton of fun!

If you have non-cracked foglights, I'd take those off your hands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for help
$500 limit with car .. Excluding safety equipment (cage seat brakes harness seat ect)
You can use the money of parts sold towards towards the limit (sell a seat for $100 you now have a $600 budget) so on and so forth.
For those interested in buying parts my number is (516) 712 5227 please feel free to call or txt me
Same goes to anyone that can help me with what to upgrade and what commonly goes wrong that I should look out for.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
548 Posts
Stock pads aren't going to cut it in an endurance race. Granted my car has the smaller 300mm calipers, it didn't take nearly 2 x 100-0 stops to cause significant brake fade.
The stock intercooler will give you a one-time full throttle application then heatsoak is evident and the car feels like a slug in honey.

You're going to want to lower it or do something about the front LCA/Swaybar/endlink situation. Bilstein/Koni/H&R or budget coilovers/modify stock struts with groundcontrol gear? C30 Sport LCAs swap with mid MY2006- for 21mm balljoints and slight geometry change. Improvement at high speed handling and cornering, but less improvement than a full up suspension kit as coilovers, springs, and swaybars would do. Whiteline makes a WALK kit for front LCA, but $$$$$.

Any exhaust mods without an expensive stage tune personally I feel are a waste of money as no horsepower gains will happen, it will reduce backpressure on turbo for faster spool, but that is it. New plugs, TCV, and an airfilter might be a better route, especially if rules prohibit messing with stock power anyways.

Replace coolant expansion tank, it's plastic OE and prone to cracking thus engine failure at higher miles. Lower engine torque mount needs 95A or harder polyurethane filling. Sloppy shifting if left stock and OE rubber is all rotten. Powerflex makes bushes to do this, however I'm afraid mix it your own is the route you can afford.

Man, you are on a tight budget for suspension. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help,
I am definitely going to upgrade the intercooler (ebay or craigslist special) I will look for a expansion tank ( any recommendations?)
Hate to over look it but suspension might not be in the budget.

I am also very worried about the electronics when i remove the interior and other various parts
I saw threads about SRS light being an issue.
Does it effect the performance of the car or can i just put a piece of tape over it?

My main priority is to keep the car alive for 12 hours.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I would cut out the muffler for sure. it may be loud without it but its pretty heavy. and aftermarket coolant tank should work and are pretty cheap on ebay and amazon or FCPeuro.com. check the condition of your radiator hoses too- they are probably not great any more.
I think getting a rear sway bar upgrade will help too. Make sure you post pictures of progress and stuff, i'd really love to see it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help
I will keep everyone updated should be a fun build
Once I figure out how to post pictures I will

·
Registered
548 Posts
You may post images by uploading pictures to another website and then typing

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am nervous about car's electronics too. The less you mess with them, the better. Bosch Software ME9.1, it's German... Beautiful if you have a Bosch Toolbag or a Volvo Dealer, or at least a XP laptop with ViDA software to repel it. Prevents taking one junked S40's ECU brain and swapping it into another S40. Prevents alot of fun stuff. Try not to cut any wires needlessly, it's all over complicated with each part registered to individual VIN per car. Best I can say is I don't know what happens? Maybe car not start?!?!
Power trim, ignition, switches, airbags, I would leave alone, but do cautiously approach the issue if removal is a must.

Two common messages that affect car engine performance are ABS Anti Skid Service required and Reduced Engine Performance. Theses are not check engine light, but the consequences could easily mean losing a race. ABS Anti Skid disables car's throttle from your pedal position sensor, meaning if you have your foot mashed to the floor, the car remains at idle for numerous reasons. Anything from brake system failure, faulty gas pedal sensor, or TPMS sensor in hub has jarred loose.

Reduced engine performance is usually from lack of servicing car, car goes into limp mode and boost pressure is limited the car will feel sluggish. Lack of service or component failure trips this one. Someone much smarter is needed. I don't know if you can remove an airbag and not get a code.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to leave the electronics alone as much as I can. Passanger side airbags are already deployed not much i can do about that. Are you saying that the car will be stuck at Idle if i lock up the brakes going into turn one? I will do everything i can to prevent this. I plan on making sure everything is serviced and top notch.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well, the electronic brake force distribution is one of the nice features of the car but it heats up the brakes a lot. If you are a decent driver you could pull the ABS pump fuse. Should help with some of the brake heating issues and increase your MPG slightly.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Are you saying that the car will be stuck at Idle if i lock up the brakes going into turn one?
Negative, I was discussing the Volvo in it's pissy mood as in if a electric sensor randomly fails how the car reacts to a sensor failure. You can lock brakes on healthy car and it will have normal ABS braking reaction. If dash not say reduced engine performance or ABS Anti Skid Service required you are all good throughout race.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright thanks guys
Here are some pictures of the car ... Is Rough we should start working on it next week.. Hopefully we can get the doors open soon.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
OH BOY! Okay, so a few things: Welcome, I have always wanted to do a lemons race, so this is going to be awesome. I think we should look into selling all of the expensive parts on the car first. Then you'll have a budget.

Selling Considerations off the top of my head:
1) That roof rack
2) Stereo system
3) The GPS system (if you have it, looks like you may not)
4) Interior, the black leather is a common upgrade

Yes, dump the rear exhaust, it is at least 50 lbs. Here is what I did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD3Bst7ywF8
Another useless system (for you) is the headlight washer system. It also makes the bumper harder to remove.

Based on the pic, you do have the big ass 320mm brakes, that great!

Way to luck out on the tires. DWS?

Gotta go for now, I'll be back later with anything I think of!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it doesn't effect the cars performance its coming off and going up for sale! Thanks for the help and input.

·
Registered
548 Posts
That factory foglight kit came optional from Volvo and should be worth a pretty penny. Very reliable and quality stuff. You could undercut a dealer price if it works, sell as entire kit including switch ,and make a couple hundred easy as long as buyer is interested here or on ebay.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts