SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know approx how long actual build time is? Avg time from when they start and when it rolls off the assembly line?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Not very exciting - I ordered mine in September, shall be (hopefully) ready in the end of January ... Too long ! (Unless you mean factory production time :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ordered mine in late October (filly loaded T8) and it is loaded on the ship (loaded on December 30th) and due at NY January 13th. I received the VIN 12/23/15.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered mine in late October (filly loaded T8) and it is loaded on the ship (loaded on December 30th) and due at NY January 13th. I received the VIN 12/23/15.
thx....thats about 8-9 weeks..but what is unclear is when the build actually started... I'm trying to figure out when I'm getting my replacement XC90 that my dealer promised that Sweden would put it in the 'front of the production line'....

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think mine has a 1/18 build date with a 1/28 completion date. I'll ask my salesman for confirmation on that.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Anyone know approx how long actual build time is? Avg time from when they start and when it rolls off the assembly line?
My guess is 2.5 hours........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good to know they are catching up. I ordered a fairly loaded inscription in mid July and just took delivery this week. I'm happy to report it was well worth the wait. No idea how long the actual build time was.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Typically, regular production cars will spent 1-2 days on the assembly line being produced. On the far other extreme; high end and exotics [think Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini] can take several weeks as they are hand built and often include custom designed touches for their elite customers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I placed my order in late November and I was told to expect it in March/April. (T6 R-Design) I have not been given expected production dates yet. I am fine with the delay since it pushes us out of a winter driving season. The only thing I don't like is that the 2017 models are so close.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Mine was on COL /assembly line build status for four weeks. I never received an explanation (as I was expecting/hoping up to two weeks). Delivery (ETA Dealer) is two months later than the original estimate, but that was for the T8. The T6s seem to be coming out faster.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I asked this question during our OSD in October 2015 - and I believe they said it was just something over 48 hours.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If you ever have the opportunity to invest in an OSD vehicle - it is well worth the trip. The factory tour (not available during holiday, summer shutdown or when they are building something that has not been made available to the public) is worth it! (Sorry - no photos allowed.)

You ride on a small train (two seats per row) that gets pulled through a number of buildings. The most impressive area is where vehicles are actually assembled - amazingly clean and looks like a great working environment. I've been through a couple of GM and Ford facilities in the US ... and Volvo was much more impressive.

There is a lot of automation involved ... and assemblers build everything on the same line. A red car followed by a blue one, a left hand drive followed by a RHD, and different models. I was told this helps with staff not becoming monotonous ... and the line dynamically adjusts to changes in buyer ordering habits. This is just in time manufacturing - so not a lot of parts and assemblies are stashed around in inventory - but instead based on orders everything comes together at the assembly line.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts